Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you MM for your kind words. :k

I am thankful I have two of her beautiful offspring to remember her by.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
You have me in tears Threedogs! I am so sorry for your loss, it is so very sad! Even if it wasn't your dog. :cry:

Fortunately you have two of her offspring! Enjoy and love them! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you hilda.

We are certainly being very careful with our own dogs at the moment. Little Lizzie's daughter Flossie from her last litter, now nearly one year old, was with her that day and some how escaped being bitten which is a blessing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 am 

It has been too long since I`ve been here, now I`ll try to be here more often. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
threedogs wrote:
The day before I left for South Africa this August, I left my position of seven years working with racehorses. I left behind a group of people and animals who had become more than employers and a place of work. They had become like a second home and family to me.

Since I returned from Kruger I have trundled up the road to the stables at least once a week to visit my old stomping ground and everything I love there. So it was that on Friday afternoon I made that short journey again on a balmy afternoon just before feed up time. There I found my old boss SJ hanging out the washing, the two fox terrier dogs at her feet.
They greeted me like the old friends we are, borne of countless mornings working and playing together. Of sitting up front of me on the motor bike, nose into the wind; of diving into the dam while we swam the horses, paddling furiously then duck diving under flailing hooves and after a tense wait, popping back out the other side; of 'leading' the quiet ones, hanging on to the end of the lead rope; of sending me squealing and dancing away as yet another rat or mouse met its end......of just being there.

I bent and ran my hand over the cheek of the older dog and remarked on her greying muzzle, showing her age a bit now at eight years.

SJ rang me unexpectedly this morning. Her subdued and heavy tone in greeting sent my stomach to the floor.
They came home yesterday after a long day away at the races, to find on their back porch, a dead Eastern Brown Snake just feet away from the body of Lizzie dog.
This third time, this third bite, we knew would come; and the vet had said no more anti-venom for a third bite, her system won't take it.......
SJ said we just wish we could have been with her at the end.

She wasn't my dog but I loved her none the less for that.

VALE my little Liz Whizzie, I miss her already.

I have a heavy heart just reading your story, TD. Every life is precious, and none more than a dedicated, loving animal's. Although one can anticipate something sad that may happen in the future, it seldom ameliorates the pain and sorrow when the event happens. I feel for you, TD.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you OWN :)
My first visit back to the stables since little Liz died was the hardest. Her young daughter Flossie was a little subdued and SJ said she had become very sooky.

I think one doesn't just grieve for the animal lost, but also grieves for the change that takes place.
Us humans do not respond to change well on the whole and when the change is brought about by the loss of a loved one it makes it all the more challenging to adjust to.

We also had a change of circumstance brought about by the retirement of our racehorse. I say 'our' racehorse, but we actually only owned a small share. Djatala or 'Tank' as we knew him, is special too because he is the last of the horses bred by SJ's father who is now aged and frail.
He was born on the property and I watched him grow and followed his progress right through. He was a very difficult horse from day one but not aggressive in any way, just big and pushy and very headstrong - hence his stable name. His career was incredibly promising to start with and he won a few big city races, but unfortunately he battled problems with his knees and after two operations we found he was just finding the work too difficult. I developed a close relationship with him over the last 12 months. He responded to my gentle but firm handling and I always gave him carrots after his daily work and a lot of pats and fuss. No one would ride him at home because he was too strong, so we just worked him by other non-riding means and my boss let me be his sole handler - a task I loved.

He ran his last race two weeks ago. The highs and lows this horse gave us over the last 4 years have been quite something. I will certainly miss the excitement of his race days.

In a week or so he will have his shoes off and be put on the horse float and make the short trip up to my place where he will live a quiet, natural, relaxed life with my three other horses. It is the least he deserves after giving us so much pleasure. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
How wonderful to be able to give Tank a peaceful, loving and caring place to spend his old age Threedogs! :clap: :clap:

I'm sure you are going to enjoy his presence as much as he will enjoy staying with you! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:31 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
It is heartwarming to feel the tenderness and respect with which you speak of Tank, TD. When one merges with the spirit of an animal, one literally enters a spiritual dimension, and the human psyche advances to a place of love and joy from which it can no longer regress to mundane existence. Actualisation of this nature is a blessing from above, and I strongly believe that animals that cross our paths are meant for our souls' advancement. You are a being in touch with the greater powers of our universe, TD, and I laud you for intuitively understanding the magic that mutual love between human and horse can bring to both. Based on his personality, I think his name is perfect!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the lovely replies hilda and OWN! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
After 14 years, 5 months and a week's love and joy I received from my eldest Pekingese, Rudolph, the Vet had to put him to sleep yesterday afternoon at 16:20 after he had kidney failure and a stroke. He was such a pleasure to me during all these years. His place might be empty in the house, but he will always be in my heart. Rest in peace my lovely dog! No more suffering where you are now. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:14 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
hilda wrote:
After 14 years, 5 months and a week's love and joy I received from my eldest Pekingese, Rudolph, the Vet had to put him to sleep yesterday afternoon at 16:20 after he had kidney failure and a stroke. He was such a pleasure to me during all these years. His place might be empty in the house, but he will always be in my heart. Rest in peace my lovely dog! No more suffering where you are now. :cry:

He will also be missed by his "Dad" as well my SO :( . Lucky for us that we have the best Vet in the world that guided us through the process.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hilda, Barry, my deepest sympathy. I know how much a little creature can snuggle into the heart.

A cyber :k from MM

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oh Barryels and Hilda, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your little dog! :(
I am very glad you had a compassionate and understanding vet. Our beloved pets are each so special and such a joy in our lives - I am sure you have lots of wonderful memories of Rudolph.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
barryels wrote:
He will also be missed by his "Dad" as well my SO . Lucky for us that we have the best Vet in the world that guided us through the process.

Sorry for my selfishness my dear SO! I am so drowned in my own sorrow that I forget about everything else around me. He loved you so much! Thanks for all the love you gave him since we moved in with you 12 and a half years ago.

We are very privileged to have a Vet like ours!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you Meandering Mouse. We really can do with a cyber hug! :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 97  Next