Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camera battery
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have just bought a new camera which has a specific battery size. My old one uses penlights and I keep two sets and swap them over, very useful to not have the camera out of action while charging them.

My question is do I need to buy a specific Canon battery or will the generic be ok? I don't want to damage this expensive (for me) new camera.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Camera battery
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:30 am 

Chirinda
Most generic batteries are ok, not usually as the Canon one however a lot cheaper.
I would suggest that a generic battery is not going to damage the camera.
Regards
JDW

Jun/Jul - Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Tofino, Inside Passage to Alaska and the Rockies.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:24 am 

Hello Chirinda;

I second JDWs comments. I use Canon and also use third-party spare-batteries. Good ones won't damage the camera; but you do need to exercise some caution when buying.

Stay away from the very cheapest; and be very careful if buying on ebay.

Where are you located? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction of a reputable vendor!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 pm 

Hello Chirinda,
You spent hard earned money on a new camera and now you want to save a few Rand on a cheaper battery. If something happens to the camera within your warranty period Canon could say that a generic was used and hence you lose all claims. If it was me, I would spend the extra few Bob for peace of mind.

Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

i have both but decided to stick to the original
During our recent trip in Kruger my friend had a camera/battery problem
His camera did not function and the fault was with the third-party battery.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 pm 

Chirinda
It is often posible when buying a new camera to negotiate a discount on the purchase of a 'spare' battery. I have done this on two occasions successfully.
The retailer can always say no, however ask the question and you might get a nice suprise, after all the retailler values your business and wants you to return when you next make a purchase. If posible return to your supplier asap and see if you can get a bit of discount on the purchase of a battery - always worth a try, particularly if during conversation you make it known that you are hoping to develope your photographic skills over time, perhaps upgrade and purchase additional camera equipment.
Regards
JDW

Jun/Jul - Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Tofino, Inside Passage to Alaska and the Rockies.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am 

Chirinda;

With all respect to those above, there really is nothing to worry about using 'good' third-party batteries.

I have been a Canon user for over 30 years, and currently use top-end bodies. I use BOTH Canon original and good third-party batteries in them, and always have - without any problem whatsoever!

As always; it's a case of 'buyer-beware'. If a deal looks too good to be true; it generally is. The very cheap batteries you might see on ebay will be Chinese knock-offs. The biggest problem with them is that they simply don't hold their charge for any period of time.

But; a decent vendor can provide a very good-value-for money alternative.

I see using (good) third-party batteries as no different to using any other third-party component; and there are multitudes of those available, from lenses, to grips, to flash units etc. etc. All have an electrical connection with the body!

Just my two-cents worth!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:34 pm 

EOS_User
I fully agree with you.
Some 'bandit' mobile phone batteries are better than the original!!
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you so much JDW, EOS_User, PeterPM and bert for your responses. I didn't remember when I was in the shop to ask the price of spare batteries but will give them a shout.

Bert, your comment is exactly what scares me, I would feel confident in using a good quality generic but I don't know the brands or what is cheap and nasty and what is ok. I am in Joburg and bought the camera at one of the large electronics retailers. Maybe a Canon battery now; perhaps if I need a new one later .... :D

Really appreciate your input. Now to try and find out how to work the camera before I go to Kruger in two weeks. :D

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm 

Chirinda, as mentioned, there are good generics available. People will say that generics are rubbish, and others will say they are better. One thing that almost everyone overlooks, is battery care and maintenance. If you have a new battery, DO NOT deplete it beyond 50% of it's capacity on the first cycle. It will be prone to a condition known as "memory" and in a nutshell, some batteries, not all, can lose 30% of their life if completely drained on their first cycle. When you first get your battery (even the new one in your camera) make sure you do not let it go completely flat for the first few cycles, but also don't charge it when it is at 95% capacity. Charge it when it has between 50 and 60% capacity on the first few cycles.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm 

chirinda
best to have 2 batteries
so why not have one third-party.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you, Drew Cairncross, for that information. Didn't know about that so I will do as you suggest. This new camera tells you how much charge is still left, unlike my old camera which only tells you when it is low.

Good thought, bert. I'm still trying to find out where I can get spare batteries without having to run all over Joburg. :D

Thanks so much for your comments.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am 

chirinda wrote:
I'm still trying to find out where I can get spare batteries without having to run all over Joburg.

Best place to look is the classified ads in the back of any decent dedicated South African based photography magazine. Stroll along to your nearest bookshop & browse the shelves to see what they offer...