Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Through the Eyes of a Sparrow
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And some for Saturday.

040 by Russelg, on Flickr

008 by Russelg, on Flickr

576 by Russelg, on Flickr

063 by Russelg, on Flickr

1075 by Russelg, on Flickr

584 by Russelg, on Flickr

Better leave some for tomorrow.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit gang, tanx for the well wishes leaving at 4am so some sleep is needed.

Some more file photo`s until tomorrow`s live pics of the day.

935 by Russelg, on Flickr

103 by Russelg, on Flickr

114 by Russelg, on Flickr

Right gang thats it for now see you in the Park TOMORROW

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang arrived safely after having to do a detour 30kms from Croc Bridge. Burning tyres and throwing stones at cars + 120 kms to the journey.
Well if that didn`t happen maybe I would have missed 3 rhino, 5 lion 4 with kills dagga boys and ellies.
Met Gunner who was waiting for a car to move so that they could see a leopard that had just killed a porkypine.
I could not do much as I still had the caravan following on behind.
Been battling with flickr timing out but will sort it tomorrow as Im rather bushed having been up since 3 this morning so nite nite All.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit and tanx for all the most appreciated coments and well wishes

I need to ask a big favour and that is that I will report in daily regarding the sightings but seeing that it takes 20 minutes to upload 2 pictures I will redo the report when home.

These are the 2 pics.

First a Hmus coz seeing that he is so small how could he carry all those other letters.

076 by Russelg, on Flickr

And then I met this guy on the S100 and this is his story.

127 by Russelg, on Flickr

He told me that he had heard thro the grapvine that I would be in the Park in the middle of October so he set out from Satara on the 1st of September and had just completed a round trip of the S100 and it was just as slow on the sightings as was his pace.

Anyway todays count was as follows.

15 Lion
5 Hyena
4 of the N4 inhabitants
12 Ellies (very scarse this year)
1 Honey Badger
Plenty game, first Impala after 11 lions first.
4 LBR only one potogenic.
Plenty varieties of water birds and ducklings.

Well thats about it for now but please remind me to tell you a little story about site demarcation when Im back.

Until tomorrow sweet dreams lekker slaap

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tanx Gang will do the photies at home next week.
Yes OWN all in one day but today was a bit slow with 2's of lion N4's, couple more ellies buffs no leopards 7 crocodiles at Sweni Hide (cant believe it was my first time there since Iv been going to the park).
Did the S36 today and never again until it has been graded, dont think its be done for at least a decade.
Anyway happy thoughts and will report in from down South tomorrow.
Pork chops, sweet potatoe and avo for dins tonight.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang what another awesome day with plenty of photties to share. Going to be a very busy week next week.
Barry I write directly on the thread and as spargish says photos are already resized.
Now Heksie that would be telling.
Will report in tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Right Gang the morning of the 15 October eventually arrived and I was alarmed by the alarm clock at 3.30am. The necessary morning things were done, flask filled, caravan hitched and ready to rock n roll at 4.00am. Yes this can be done when 1 male is travelling ace out.
And off we went.

002 by Russelg, on Flickr

On the way just passed Elsa`s place the sun popped it`s head out and welcomed the day.

004 by Russelg, on Flickr

I travelled on through Swaziland without any incident through Managa Border Gate and thought to myself + another 45mins and we will be in the Park. NOT TO BE. About 40kms from Komatiport we were turned back by the police as there were riots further up the road. Long story short this added a further 120kms to the trip so instead of a comfortable 7 and a half hour drive it took 9 hours until I saw this.

006 by Russelg, on Flickr

The gate staff at Croc Bridge were very efficient friendly and with smiley faces welcomed me and processed my entrance in no time at all.
Well off up the H 4-1 with my first sighting being a warthog who did not hang around for the paparazzi and took off with tail held high.
Anyway I thought that I would see many of his family in the days to come.
Just before the S 28 turn off I spotted this fine lady resting under the trees guarding her scoff. I later heard that she has a cub and has been around this area for quite some time.

018 by Russelg, on Flickr

019 by Russelg, on Flickr

You can see the scoff in the background.

Seeing that she was not going to show me her offspring I decided to push on as I still had a far way to go to get to Satara and set up camp.

On the way I bumped into these lazy boys having a sauna and mud bath who paid no attention to what was happening around them and they actually did`nt seem to care either.

021 by Russelg, on Flickr

Sorry I almost forgot to show you what I saw just outside Mananga Border Post with all those heavily :sniper: guards in attendance.

031 by Russelg, on Flickr

041 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just passed Tshokwane this elderly fellow was all by himself and I wondered to myself what this once magnificant creature could tell us if he could write his autobiography.

050 by Russelg, on Flickr

This rather relaxed and chilled out Elly gave me a photo oppurtunity which I grabbed with both hands.

067 by Russelg, on Flickr

Further on I bumped into Gunner and Rhino Boy who were patiently waiting their turn to see a leopard in a culvert that had just made a porkypine kill. With the caravan still in tow I decided to push on and came across these Lads. There were 3 of them but only managed to capture 2 in the lens.

068 by Russelg, on Flickr

078 by Russelg, on Flickr

They had killed a buffaloe and you can see how lekker full there tummies are. I think I would also take a litte shut eye if I had eaten that much.

Just before Satara these three Muskateers put in an apperance and welcomed me to the Central Area of the Park.

080 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well camp was set up cold beer opened spaghetti on the boil and one last pic for the day.

085 by Russelg, on Flickr.

End day one, Day two to follow.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang, sorry that I haven`t posted for a while, was away this weekend.
Will definately post tonight and yes as Heksie reminded me I will relate the story told at Nkuhlu.
Until later see ya.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The story as told at Nkuhlu went like this.
As I arrived at Satara after about + 14 hours of travel and entered the camping area I saw a lovely spot right by the fence so I turned the caravan around and revesred up to the fence. The bricks demarcating the sites looked all in order and as I got out I noticed that the previous campers ground sheet was in exactly the same place that I would be setting up mine. There was a spare electrical plug point so the front awning was pegged to the ground electrical connection made and then I set about making supper and relaxing with a cold beer.

At about 6.30pm ( now dark) I heard a vehicle pull up behind me and a rather angry voice exclaimed wat die ( what the) $$$%%%^^^##@!!&* gaat heir aan (is happening here). Dis ons se (this is) )(*&%$#%Y&^** plek hierdie (our site) en nou staan ek in die %^^^$%$#%&^& modder (and now Im standing in the mud. My immediate reaction was to stay calm and proceed stadig or die klippe as it seemed that my neighbour had partaken of a bottle full of KLIPPIES.

Well needless to say I poured myself another drink (quietly though) watched the stars until all was quiet on the Southern Front brushed my teeth and snuck off to bed.

However peace was restored the following evening as I noticed the following morning that I had double parked on the site which to me was about 10 metres x 10 metres and I was only taking up about 3 metres of that with the caravan and he had the rest for a trailer and a two man tent.

I went over later that evening before the KLIPPIES onslaught apologised and explained that I had driven 14 hours the previous day and was dog tired and just needed a small plek as I was alone and would not disturb them.

It all turned out well in the end and we traded our sightings of the day and a couple of glasses of good red wine. Mine of course. Neighbourly love what bliss.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DAY TWO

Teeth brushed flask filled and second at the gate. (neighbours still fast asleep).

Sunrise at the gate.

006 by Russelg, on Flickr

My plan was to turn right up the H 1-4 and head up to Olifants. The first car turned left as did all the others behind me except for one and we travelled on our merry way at a rather sedate 20kpms.

First up was this inquistive little

010 by Russelg, on Flickr

The car behind passed me and I only saw them again at Olifants bridge and guess what they missed

012 by Russelg, on Flickr

and

013 by Russelg, on Flickr

and

033 by Russelg, on Flickr

There were seven adults and four cubs altogether but I could not get a family portrait of them.

I had spent about an hour with them before the next car arrived and by then only the one male was visible.

Off I went and saw general game and one ellie far off in the distance before arriving at Olifants bridge where I had a rather pleasant cup of coffee with the ducks.

To be continued.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang tanx for all the comments and enthusiasm.
I arrived at the bridge made some coffee and with a couple of rusks ( no traditional Christmas cake and cheese this time) I alighted from my vehicle and was presented with these magnificant specimins.

034 by Russelg, on Flickr

She was sitting on eggs with the proud Dad just behind a branch keeping a watchful eye on proceedings.

Next was this proud Mom with her siblings.

043 by Russelg, on Flickr

Not to far behind her on a rocky outcrop stood this beast catching some early morning rays.

039 by Russelg, on Flickr

I packed away the coffee cup and headed for the S39 where I was greeted by this lovely curious Kudu Mom who actually I think was more interested in getting her :cam: taken than heading head first into the bush.

052 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just past Roodewal I think it was I came acroos this ginormous nest which Im sure must have room service.

057 by Russelg, on Flickr

At Ratelpan I met some people who could not speak a word of english until a bit later. But before I explain this chap put in an appearance.

Whilst trying to get a better shot there was a bit of movement across the river and with bino`s I found these. ( bad picture but proof)

069 by Russelg, on Flickr

Once I said LION my non english speaking hide buddies became animated and I`m sure I heard the word WHERE. I pointed the three lions out to them and by the look on their faces I`m sure they were happy.

Well it was off again and onto the S40 where I was stopped by no more than 3 cars all telling me that there was a Cheetah Mom and 3 cubs under a big green tree on my left. I found the tree but no Cheetahs.
Pushed on took the S12 past Girivana Dam back onto the H7 towards Satara and stopped at Nsemani Dam and was treated with this little mini me.

075 by Russelg, on Flickr

080 by Russelg, on Flickr

This must be the smallest Hippo I have ever seen. He would take about five or six steps and then sit down just like a dog and plead with Mom to wait up.

After about a half hour I decided it was time to head home and get some grub a short walk around camp before I headed out again.

I will be back.

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well gang Im back again as promised and tank you All for your wonderful comments, greatly appreciated.

After a small rest at camp and bit to eat I then took the S100 (which has to be done when in this area) and continued on my way.

As I turned onto the S100 this one headed girraffe caught me by surprise.

111 by Russelg, on Flickr

But he turned out to be two.

And they were doing what girraffes do.

115 by Russelg, on Flickr

I left them to do their business and bumped into this grand fellow who looked that he had just come out of the beauty salon with his wattles all rouged up.

125 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well I travelled the full length of the S100 with no luck at all and met this torti who told me this story.

127 by Russelg, on Flickr

He said that he had heard that a sparrow was coming to visit so he set out from Satara on the 1st of October to see if he could rustle up some sightings on this road. He explained that he had just turned back to inform me that the sightings had been as slow as his progress and that he thought that I had wasted my time in taking this route.

Back to camp via the H6 and came across my first LBR of the trip.

141 by Russelg, on Flickr

A Brown Snake Eagle

139 by Russelg, on Flickr

This spider web who I thought that the occupants could do a bit of darning for me.

129 by Russelg, on Flickr

And as halloween was approaching I thought Casper the friendly ghost should get a mention in this report.

148 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well it was back to camp fire lit frosty in hand I watched the sun go down.

157 by Russelg, on Flickr

I went to bed a happy chappie with anticipation of what tomorrow might bring.

I will be back.

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang tanx for the comments and for following this report.

Well the plan for today was to turn right out of the gate down the H 1-4 and gooi another right down the H 7 towards Orpen and then a leftie onto the S36 towards Lugmag and Vutomi Dams.

Good decision until the S36.

Oh I forgot to post these two magnificant fellows whom I bumped into yesterday I think whilst on my travels.

055 by Russelg, on Flickr

002 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well I carried on towards Nsemani Dam but my baby Hipps was nowhere to be seen but about two kms further up the road these two sleepy over full fellows were sleeping off the previuos nights over indulgence

012 by Russelg, on Flickr

013 by Russelg, on Flickr

However this fellow did grace me with his Regal presence and obliged by rolling over and lifting his head for a picture.

022 by Russelg, on Flickr

Just before the S36 turn off I was presented with this Giant who did not have a care in the world as he munched his brekkies.

098 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well it was now onto the S36 which is the worst road that I have driven in the past TEN years. That is the condition of this road. I would like to know when last this strip of the Kruger ever last saw or even heard a grader. (It is in a terrible state and Im sure all the rattling has chased every living soul a thousand miles away).

Just before Hamiltons as I approached a small river crossing I noticed this Hyena with her head completly under the water which I didn`t manage to get a picture of but when she raised her head she had found something in the pantry.

027 by Russelg, on Flickr

With which she hurriedly crossed the road and disappeared into the bush.

031 by Russelg, on Flickr

At Nhlanguleni I thought of Aunty Val and took this picture for her.

I travelled onto Lugmag Dam and with great disappointment found it to be almost bone dry and that the dam wall had been breeched. Only to find out later that it was breeched intentionally and would not be repaired. Same at Vutomi Road S33 is still closed and almost overgrown.

Having had enough of this extremely corrugated road where even tortoises fear to tread in fear that they will damage their undercarraiges I headed for Tshokwane for a weewee break and then headed off to Orpen Dam.
Where these chaps were trying on their camouflage suits to help catch poachers.

051 by Russelg, on Flickr

Also there was this little fella who kept a beady eye on me whilst he took in some rays.

046 by Russelg, on Flickr

It was so great to see how full the dam was as only nine months previously it was just a puddle.

Well thats it for now but some more still to come.

I will be back.

BELIEVE.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Howzit Gang Im back and tanx once again for all the comments, and I appreciate your participation in this trip.
Well it was back onto the H1-3 northward bound towards camp and just after the S37 Trichard Road which I had contemplated on taking (which I didn`t) I found a pair of my favourite birds who had been disturbed by a Mom and child. Grey goaway bird and youngster.

Im sure the pigeon was looking at them with utter disgust as they had chased her mate away to another tree.

067 by Russelg, on Flickr

Anyway she called and he came back

070 by Russelg, on Flickr

As this was my last day up North I wanted to do the H6 once again as this has been rather a productive road for us in the past. (Not this time around but who cares as we are in the bush).
I popped into Nwanetsi for a comfort break, (oh so posh) and then I found Sweni Hide for the first time ever. I could not believe that after nearly 32 years of visiting the park that this was my first ever visit to this marvellous spot.

This fellow really made me feel at home as he shouted his welcome for everybody to hear.

081 by Russelg, on Flickr

This Okie just lay there in the sun with the advise that no swimming was allowed.

088 by Russelg, on Flickr

Even with these two lifeguards on duty I was not taking any chances and left them in peace and headed back to camp.

089 by Russelg, on Flickr

091 by Russelg, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just as I was about to leave these 2 baby carriers apppeared and started preening themselves for the next delivery.

096 by Russelg, on Flickr

At the end of the H6 just before the H1-3 towards Satara I came upon this strange foot print of some sorts at the side of the road and for the life of me I am dumbfounded as to whom it belongs.

001 by Russelg, on Flickr

Well it was back to camp fire lit frostie in hand I took down the caravan awning and packed most of the stuff away whilst the steak and spuds were cooking. After supper was consumed shower taken I settled back with a couple of Capt Morans and coke and just soaked up the nightly atmosphere and the heavenly delights in the night sky.

I will be back.

More to follow

BELIEVE.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next