SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ginger biscuits at Mooiplaas
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Some of us buy all the food that we need either outside the gates of Kruger or in the Park in the shops at the last minute, provided that self catering is what we want to do. I remember my family – my Gran, Mom and Aunts – prepared some of the food that we took along to Kruger for the holiday at home – they prepared curried bean salad and beetroot salad in canfruit bottles, bottles of jam and preserves for breakfast and those old tins with the animal and flower pictures on, full to the brim with home-baked rusks and biscuits. Not so long ago I remember in Letaba they came around in the early evening to the huts asking whether you would like to order some pannekoek for the evening but lately I do not see those pannekoek ladies anymore. For the sake of convenience and time we nowadays buy everything that is ready made, packaged for long-lasting freshness and instant to take along to Kruger for the hassle-free convenience thereof but I still remember how good the food tasted that was prepared at home that went along to Kruger for the holiday. I wonder whether there are still Kruger visitors who take along some home-made foods on their trip?

Post subject: Re: Ginger biscuits at Mooiplaas
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I detest fast food & synthetic packaging ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:43 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Grantmissy...your memories of days gone by in the park must be wonderful!! :dance:

If we stay overnight in the park, I always take some homemade goodies!! :thumbs_up:
Curried bean salad is a must, and homemade shortcake is another.
We braai every night and take all the ingredients to marinate with us.

Day 14..............and counting down!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Most of our food was prepared at home. My mother was one of those farm Tannies who made her own soap, you know the long blue and white ones> She also made ointments for all sorts of illnesses, so most of the Kruger stuff was made at home.

From Guinea fowl pies to curried beans. From ginger beer to all sorts of cookies. Marinade for the meat was made there and then with fresh ingredients. Pot bread was served with home made jams.

In winter, pecan nuts and naartjies were compulsory. I remember my dad once tried to sneak in his beloved dog. Personnel found it and confiscated the dog. We were so angry that on the way out of the park, all the naartjie peels were chucked out of the window. Fortunately they were bio-degradable and did not harm nature. Back at home my dad bought another dog and named it after Mr Brynard, the head of the Parks Board, who refused to give our dog back. His name was Bryntjie.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm 

Curried Bean salad..... :hmz: Remind me not to drive a whole day in the same car as you Rooies, Tannie V and Grandmissy.... :thumbs_up:

Since I have been going to the park as much as possible has been home made. I still bake my own bread in the park, From normal bread to cheese bread and roosterkoek. :tongue: The only marinated meat I take into the park is sossaties.

I really miss my Mom's Coffee biscuits though.... I should get the recipe :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Rooies I hope Bryntjie’s predecessor had a long and very happy life with Mr Brynard. Dr Phil hand made roosterkoek is still the best, I think :thumbs_up: A person can buy ready made pre-packaged roosterkooek in the shops but they do not taste the same. I think one of the favourite items for Kruger that is bought in the shops is Ouma Rusks for dipping in the early morning coffee… Today is day 13, Crested Val :D .

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:

People (usually men) who don't have to do the cooking usually do. Because the nice and tasty homemade meals tend to just appear on the table...like magic! :shock: :twisted: So....Let me guess ndloti, you don't do the cooking at home, do you? :lol:

We buy most foodstuffs outside the park and prepare the meals more-or-less from scratch in the park, but usually we also take along a couple of woollies-bought, prepared meals or salads -- there is usually one or two lazy evenings (or late evenings due to sunset or night drives), when we prefer to take it easy...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

Grantmissy wrote:
Phil hand made roosterkoek is still the best, I think :thumbs_up:

Have to agree Grantmissy, With real butter, Lions golden syrup (the one in the green can) and freshly grated cheese...... :tongue: And if it is rainy Vetkoek is always a great option.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
ndloti wrote:

People (usually men) who don't have to do the cooking usually do. Because the nice and tasty homemade meals tend to just appear on the table...like magic! :shock: :twisted: So....Let me guess ndloti, you don't do the cooking at home, do you? :lol:

I do all of the cooking as I have no slave (wife) !

Have to agree Grantmissy, With real butter, Lions golden syrup (the one in the green can) and freshly grated cheese...... :tongue: And if it is rainy Vetkoek is always a great option.[/quote]

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm 

ndloti wrote:
Dabchick wrote:
ndloti wrote:

I do all of the cooking as I have no slave (wife) !

Have to agree Grantmissy, With real butter, Lions golden syrup (the one in the green can) and freshly grated cheese...... :tongue: And if it is rainy Vetkoek is always a great option.

Image[/quote]

Thanks ndloti that is the one I was talking about, correction Lyle's not lions.... :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I must look in the shops whether they still sell that syrup, the one in the green can or tin that is how I remember it :thumbs_up:. I know the syrup that a person buys today that is in a squirt plastic bottle. I hope they have not changed the holder to plastic and that it is still in that real green tin. That vetkoek sounds nice :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Rooies, your father sounds quite a character :lol: :lol: :lol: now that explains a lot :wink:

I don't do the baking thing. I do take Nando's perinase when I remember. Great for anything. Woolies sells nut and seed bars that are rather wicked and their hot cross buns last so long that I can finish my trip feeling hot cross bun phobic.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We take homemade but frozen stews and curries as well home frozen, home grown veggies such as green beans, carrots and spinach; a couple of jars of Kopperpennieslaai (Copper penny salad - made from carrots) and a large container of our neighbour's rusks. All the rest, unfortunately has to be bought :( BUT we take dough from our local baker for making Vetkoek, so that is half homemade :wink: Apart from cheese and Lyle's Syrup - has anyone tried grated cheese and marmite on a hot Vetkoek????

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sounds yummy PNF 8) I like grated cheese and marmite or Bovril on almost anything.... even Marie biscuits.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This Saturday we must make DrPhil’s Vetkoek with Cheese and Lyle’s Syrup (from the green tin) and PNF’s Vetkoek with Marmite and Cheese

Not so sure about MM's Marie Biscuits and Marmite though :roll: