Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Which teleconverter to use with Canon 550D?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Geckophobe wrote:
I am in the process of buying a better camera (in stead of a good "mik en druk" ) for the first time, and I have decoded on the Canon 550D, the best deal I could find in my budget- and I have seen a number of good reviews also on this forum.

I am looking for a teleconverter to use with the canon 55-250 lens? Which would you recommend?

I stand to be corrected; but I'm sure that the 55-250 will NOT accept an extender/teleconverter. It is certainly not compatible with either of the Canon options. It 'may' accept a third-party (maybe Sigma) teleconverter; but you should test that theory first before buying.

Cheers;

Lee

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

EOS_User wrote:
Geckophobe wrote:
I am in the process of buying a better camera (in stead of a good "mik en druk" ) for the first time, and I have decoded on the Canon 550D, the best deal I could find in my budget- and I have seen a number of good reviews also on this forum.

I am looking for a teleconverter to use with the canon 55-250 lens? Which would you recommend?

I stand to be corrected; but I'm sure that the 55-250 will NOT accept an extender/teleconverter. It is certainly not compatible with either of the Canon options. It 'may' accept a third-party (maybe Sigma) teleconverter; but you should test that theory first before buying.

Cheers;

Lee

As far as I know, you are absolutely correct. The 55-250 is an ef-s lens and will not be accepted by the ef converter. Canons converters are made to work with strictly ef lenses.

But I may be getting it wrong

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm 

[quote="DuQues"]To be honest I would recommend none.

me two, stay away from it, you drop photo quality and it takes away the fun to see how close you can sneak up on the animals

Post subject: Re: Canon 2x extender
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 am 

The new Canon 2X III is worth having, great on a 70 - 200 2.8L. I wouldn't even rent the older versions.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 am 

harrys,

Yes-that is what it does. A 2x converter doubles your focal length but it's not worth it on most lenses.

If you have a lens that is F4.0-F5.6 it means your standard lens has F5.6 at full zoom. When connected to a converter, F5.6 becomes F11 I believe. You most probably won't get autofocus to work at all and for F11 you need a lot of bright light and/or a slow shutter speed which will probably cause a blurry picture.

I have previously used an extender on my canon 100-400mm L series lens with moderate success.

My recommendation is then: only buy an extender if you have a proper lens to use it on. Preferably a lens that has F2.8 throughout it's zoom range or maybe even F4.0.

For other lens types, I'd rent an extender. If you're in Gauteng, OutdoorPhoto in Pretoria has rental options including extenders. Their prices are good and their service is excellent. You can go the rental option to test it on your own lens as well.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm 

Location: Close by the South Downs National Park, Hampshire, UK
Hi, The best combination I have is the EF 500mm f4 L IS USM with a 1.4x converter. This gives a 700mm with a focal length before taking crop factor into account (and an effective aperture of f5.6 - so autofocus can operate). I was recently in the Lake Panic Bird Hide and two other photographers had the same lens combination but with 1D MkIII & MkIV bodies (I have recently moved up to the 5D MkIII). As an alternative I use an EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM with a 2x converter (thus 140-400mm f5.6 before crop factor consideration).

One point to consider, if you can extend to it, the EOS 1D MkIII (and I assume the MkIV as well) will autofocus using the centre focus point only at f6.3. Thus the autofocus will function for the 500mm f4 plus the 2x converter. Thus, with the crop factor of the APS-H sensor, you end up with a 1300mm f6.3 lens.

Just a few more things to consider,

Richard

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 am 

The 2x III will will autofocus on the 500 F4 as well with my 5D III but I use the rear focus button. It will also work with my 7D if I go to live view and use the rear autofocus but it's very slow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6