Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Time
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 am 

Even in June once we had high grass because of the late rains that year. Specially around Grootkolk we could only see the animals once they were at the waterhole
See what suits you best with work, filghtplan, car hire and then go and see what the park gives you and enjoy the ride :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Giova.... it is a hard decision to make I know .... this is was April 2011 .... very long grass making it very difficult to photograph animals without it getting in the way :D

If you want the bare earth and the dust I would suggest the dry season which is our winter ... but saying this, we also had 3 days of rain in June this year while we were there - but you shouldn't get the long grass if you go then and I promise you will get LOTS of dust as I was there end of August this year and it was very very dusty :lol: As Jonkers said though, see what suits you best and just go for it :thumbs_up:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:D Why not stay at Twee Rivieren. :hmz: Hot spot for good animal sightings, all year round. :whistle:

It was only a joke. :lol:

If you can try the wilderness camps. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:46 pm 

picnic wrote:
:D Why not stay at Twee Rivieren. :hmz: Hot spot for good animal sightings, all year round. :whistle:

It was only a joke. :lol:

If you can try the wilderness camps. :thumbs_up:

Off course
This year I was at the end of August in Twee, Nosso, Mata, Kalhari tented camp, Grot, Uri....and all was so nice...that I would like return as soon the next year!.
But ...I like photos and I think, in accordance with your replies, could better in July (second middle...) for light, dust and game...I hope...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm 

Just take extra thermo underwear for July and you'll be fine and those gloves who are so thin and feel like a second skin and keep your fingers nice and warm, but still you can operate your camera :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 pm 

Jonkers wrote:
Just take extra thermo underwear for July and you'll be fine and those gloves who are so thin and feel like a second skin and keep your fingers nice and warm, but still you can operate your camera :)

Ok Junker but it isn't a problem because in Europe the weather in winter is very cold.
In April I went in Sweeden to take photos to swan and it was -20 !..So I have the gloves ...but no problem because you stay inside the car...for swans I was inside a little hide of wood...with the snow out and ice
My problem is if the cold time stop game and there isn't dinamic situation..

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm 

gloves are perfect !
I know Sweden, that s cold......
the underwear is more for the nights, with a beanie and night socks, especially if you sleep in Urikaruus in July. the last time all the pipes were frozen, but we did not mind.... the sightings were fantastic so were the sunsets :)

Post subject: Re: Trip planning guidance please!!!
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:08 am 

jelico60 wrote:

We plan on going late October next year so want to be ready to book accommodation on 1st November so plenty of excitement and fun over the next three weeks putting the trip together.

Any help welcomed!

Hello there,

Just a couple of things to mention.

1) I'm not 100% sure it's the very best time to go to KTP. I have been there twice (both in winter time), but I believe (stand to be corrected) that after the rains, the animals spread out. During the dry winter, they stay closer to the man-made water holes that are in the Nossob and Auob river beds, and viewing can be amazing.

2) Also, you are going to be driving big distances (bigger than KNP by far), so you need transport that is light on fuel (R12 a litre now) , can handle the roads, and is comfortable.

3) You will need to cart your own supplies along. So you'll need cooler boxes, containers etc (probably get it 'thrown-in' from the car hire places)

4) Another possibility instead of KTP, is Etosha Pan in Namibia. You fly from Cape Town to Windhoek, hire car there and drive to Etosha. You don't need a 4x4 for Etosha. There are three main camps (Okaukeujo, Halali and Namutoni) there which are similar to krugers camps (maybe the shops are not as well stocked).

The desert and its animals is amazing, so go well whatever your choice ,

Neil.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am 

Hi

thank you so much for the advice given here. We are now reconsidering our timings a bit as we would like to visit whilst still dry season so may now go at the start of October. Having just spent 2 weeks in Kruger though from 5th September in what we believe is generally still the dry season and had rain on many days and seen the landscape green up before our eyes I wonder now when the rains do actually come? When we were living in SA I'm sure it was into November before the rain really settled in. The effect of global warming no doubt! In all the many times we have visited, including in summer, we have never seen it so lush and green. Beautiful, but as you say Neil, the number of sightings in the two weeks was far less than we see in our usual 10 days. Hardly any elephant and in all that time only 2 lion. Still had an amazing time as we go for the being there as much as anything else.

I think, on the basis of what we have heard here and doing more reading we will hire a high clearance vehicle but not 4x4 and be careful about where we stay and drive.

Good advice on Etosha too - we have already been there but may do a Namibia trip again in 2014 - possibly doing the run from Vic Falls but mustn't start getting excited about our 2014 trip when 2013 is calling!

Off to do a bit of rescheduling - such hardship..............

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hi Jelico,

When we were in Etosha both times it was before the rain. The animals would bunch at the waterholes ( Giraffe, Gemsbok, Springbok, brown faced impala, Kudu, zebra, warthog,lion , leopard ) and we were spoilt for choice. After the rain they were gone... better grazing, water in pools in rocks etc, and less chance of being someone's lunch :lol:

We did a trip from Jo'burg, to Luderitz, up to Etosha, Popa-falls , through caprivi to chobe and Vic falls, Wanke game reserve, and then down to Kruger going in at Pafuri. Throw the car away after that one :shock: It was Fantastico :dance:

Neil.

Last edited by neilo on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:15 pm 

jelico60 wrote:
Beautiful, but as you say Neil, the number of sightings in the two weeks was far less than we see in our usual 10 days. Hardly any elephant and in all that time only 2 lion.

It's definitely the rain. After it's rained animals stay in the bush, they drink out of rock pools, and puddles, and don't have to trek to a permanent water source, with all it's dangers and waste of energy. The rain is great for birders, because all the insects hatch and the birds move with the food.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

neilo,

KTP differs a lot from Etosha and Kruger during rainy season and these parks can not be compared with each other. The opposite actually happens. More animals move into the river beds and your predator activity increase.

In winter one often find lions in the dune ares while our experience was far better sightings in summer after the rain start. KTP rain fall does not start as early as Kruger and usually November, but can be as late as December.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:34 pm 

I was looking at some of my pictures.

The desert had had some rain. There was plenty of water, but the game viewing was not incredible.

Image .

Look, a lot of this is just pot luck, having the good-fortune to be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

neil.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm 

Hi all, this is a South African National Parks forum and only these parks and the Transfrontier Parks linked to SANParks, may be discussed. You are welcome to assist each other with non SANParks, but please do this via PM.

:D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 pm 

Apologies Dinky Bird - was just politely acknowledging helpful suggestion of an alternative :redface: . Never my intention to transgress the rules. But to be clear - I am only interested in SANparks destinations and am currently working very very hard (and what a pleasure the planning stage is - all part of the great experience) to sort out our next trip and to a new destination for us! So rather overexcited and enthusiastic right now as want it all resolved in time to be able to book on 1st November :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 48  Next