SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rooiputs for SA side
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Gryskat this is the situation - rather self-explaining (thanks SG):

The current PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION STATUS AT KGALAGADI: (DATE OF PUBLICATION: 17 August 2012)

Re-design Nossob Rest Camp:
10 x units, re-alignment of road and upgrade of bulk services. Project is funded and EIA in process.

Re-design Nossob Rest Camp:
10 x luxury camp sites and associated infrastructure. EIA in process. Project not funded.

Gharagab:
3 x luxury 4x4 camp sites. :clap: :dance: EIA in process. Project not funded. :cry:

Mata Mata area:
10 x new luxury camping sites at Craig Lockhardt (Kameelperd kamp). :clap: :dance: EIA in process. Project not funded. :cry:

Mata Mata:
2 x family units to be constructed. EIA completed. Project not funded.

Wilderness camps:
Additional unit at Kieliekrankie, Urikaruus and Grootkolk Wilderness Camps. Project not funded.

Twee Rivieren
5 x 2-bed chalets. Project not funded.

Jan se Draai wilderness camp (halfway between Twee Rivieren and Nossob)
Combination of two approved sites along the Nossob River for wilderness camp to construct 10 units, access roads and bulk services. Project not funded

Stoffelsdraai – 4 x 4 camping site
5 x wilderness camping sites for 4x4 groups. :clap: :dance: Project not funded. :cry:

Complete Nossob road network
Third and final phase to upgrade 7 km portion of road along the Nossob River where clay soils occur. Project not funded.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:D So SA do have plans. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:wink: gryskat - it saddens me to think that we will in future have to pay much more for the privilege to be self sufficient water wise and make use of a longdrop. :(

I got the feeling at Rooiputs recently that the Bots side were doing me a favor to let us stay for two nights (no water) :hmz:

I did however discover (quite a few I may add) campsites on private land during our recent trip to the Eastern Cape and Karoo region where the owners have some pity on Saffies. At the end of the day it's a matter of choice - let the luxury lodges stand empty or get your revenue from the campers turnover :twisted:.

We usually visit the Sanparks during the off-season anyway - you'd be surprised how many cottages/chalets are standing empty, whilst the campsites are almost fully occupied. Seems to me that I'm not the only one looking at price these days.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm 

Let s wait and see
If the additional units at the Wilderness camps would be for a family with children up to13 (or something like that) it would mean that they can stay at a these Wilderness camp now too!
In the end it is all about money.
and if people are willing to pay a whole lot of money for camping gear they'll probably will pay for the luxury of garagab camping too
In the meantime we must just enjoy what we have

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
If you want that experience Gryskat, then I suggest you do the Nossob Ecotrail, which is exactly that for 3 nights, except that on the last night (out of Nossob) the waterhole has the best water in the park.

And the guide might even let you swim in it. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm 

I once asked a guy( worked for DWNP) in Moremi why it is so expensive.....his reply....it costs money to be alone...........true, very true.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:28 pm 

Location: My hart le in die rooi duine van die Kalahari. Jozi...Ex.Nelspruit
Gharagab:
3 x luxury 4x4 camp sites. +12
Mata Mata area:
10 x new luxury camping sites at Craig Lockhardt + 40

Mata Mata:
2 x family units to be constructed. +8

Wilderness camps:
Additional unit at Kieliekrankie, Urikaruus and Grootkolk Wilderness Camps. +6

Twee Rivieren
5 x 2-bed chalets. +10

Jan se Draai wilderness camp (halfway between Twee Rivieren and Nossob)
Combination of two approved sites along the Nossob River for wilderness camp to construct 10 units +20

Stoffelsdraai – 4 x 4 camping site
5 x wilderness camping sites for 4x4 groups. +20

So we might be looking at an extra 116 people in the KTP......I dont like it at all.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jonkers wrote:
Let s wait and see
If the additional units at the Wilderness camps would be for a family with children up to13 (or something like that) it would mean that they can stay at a these Wilderness camp now too!
In the end it is all about money.
and if people are willing to pay a whole lot of money for camping gear they'll probably will pay for the luxury of garagab camping too
In the meantime we must just enjoy what we have

Jonkers,

Children from 12 years old can stay in the wilderness camps but you need to book a unit for them as well, which they will not use. It will cost be R2100 to stay at any Wilderness camp for myself SO and one child. It seems the trend in accommodation is to move away from family size unit for 4 persons to 2 persons units. Families then need to book 2 units thus but will only occupy one unit for safety and convinience sake.

If I stay in a family tent at Kgalagadi Tented camp it will only cost R1160 for a unit twice the size of Grootkolk. Children under 12 are allowed at KTC camp, but the other camps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:50 pm 

Yes I do understand Son Godin
But imagine if at Urikaruus one riverbed was a family unit. Going up the stairs from the kitchen to the left a room for the parents and to the right for the children, not exceeding the age of 12! A bunk bed would do the tric, less space needed and it is safe because there is no traffic between two, it is just one accommodation and only can be booked for family with children UNDER 12.
Not by adults only, and will only be released in the reservation system like the chalets for the mobility challanged last minute. So now you will be able to stay in a wilderness camp like Urikaruus. Grootkolk could be the same idea If extra tents can be zipped to an existing tentframe on camping grounds so it can be added in Grootkolk too. And Kieliekrankie, with some imagination next to no 4 a no 5 with two small bedrooms can be build. Same policy! family with children only!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
...and it is safe because there is no traffic between two, it is just one accommodation and only can be booked for family with children UNDER 12.

@Jonkers I am of the opinion that the decision to not allow children under 12 in wilderness camps has much more to do with some authority that decided that the presence of kids in such a camp is annoying (to them) - disturbing the rustic ambiance so to speak. It has nothing to do with safety of kids. If there was a safety rule applicable, why would the same institution that made the rule then drop it at KTC - does not make sense to me. Even at fenced camps, like TR, the gate stays OPEN during the whole day, with kids running around in camp - further strengthening my suspicion. In the Richtersveld Transfrontier Park you will find the same type of chalets (Tatasberg and Ganakouriep wilderness camps) - also catering for couples only.

In any way it is liquor consuming adults that are a nuisance in these camps - long after kid's bedtime.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 am 

It is not the child it is the adult pretending to be a parent behind the person.
Often people (children and adults) forget that a tent like in KTP is not soundproof once your in. Children have high voices, so easy to pick up. On the other hand snorring adults are annoying too!
And I thought it was the safety.
If you look at Grootkolk you can not walk from tent to tent when it s dark. So what is the option for a family, children are too young to look after themselves, so probably a split up adult - 1 child and adult other child?
Try to get no 3 and 4 the outside areas close to each other. So at least you can whisper....
Children can be annoying, that is why they are children, but with guidance they can be quiet as a mouse. The hide in Nossob is often used by parents as a playground for their children. Go to the hide and see if there is anything interesting to see and what does the sign say entering? yuup ...
So if the expansions on the SA side in the wilderness camps would mean family unit. the change is given for families with younger children to stay there too. It is up to the ranger to decide if they can stay if they make too much noise or violating any other rules.
I'll bet that if this forum was as active as it is know at the time of the plans for construction the wilderness camps there would be a 'heavy' discussion too. But imagine now: no Urikaruus where you actually pay to get frozen, or no KK for the most beautiful pictures of thunderstorms over the red dunes etc.
But stick to the principle: family unit is for families with children and not 4 adults!

Post subject: Could somebody explain to me
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm 

the ridiculous "no more than 2 people in a wilderness camp tent" rule? shouldn't it be left to us, the tourists, to decide whether we feel comfortable to share a tent with a third person (most likely a child)? what's the point in forcing a party of 3 or 5 to book another tent they will most likely not need?

Post subject: Re: Could somebody explain to me
Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
I don't think it's really related to the space in the tent but more to the point, the resources used (ie) water, especially in KTP.

We were in Malelane one time when there were more campers than the camp could legally accommodate. The campers were of the same opinion "what's the big deal if there is one or two extra people staying". It was explained to us that the ablution facilities could only accommodate a certain number.

One could then argue that they would give up their shower for one day, etc.
What if there is a fire or some other disaster? The camp is probably insured for "x" number of people, not "x + ....".

I'm guessing there are a lot of reasons that aren't always all that obvious.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 am 

hm....I'm not sure - all the other camps both in KTP and in other parks have what they call the base rate and then it's usually still possible to put more people in the tent / bungalow / chalet, if you pay an additional charge...I'd find it strange if the absolution system was overstrained when 10 or 11 people stay in a wilderness camp instead of 8 - after all, 8 people may use up as much water as 10 or 11... - nevertheless, an interesting thought

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am 

Up to a couple of years ago there was no problem with taking a child with to the wilderness camps. We did it all the time. Then suddenly there was a lot of complaining about kids in wilderness camps, and the rules changed. Another classic example of a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone. There might be some other reasons for not allowing kids, but I don't understand them.
The fact of the matter is that the wilderness camps are now only meant for the people who don't have kids, or want to leave their kids at home when they go on holiday. It's a pity really - I miss Grootkolk.... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next