Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The real weight of Duke's tusks?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm 
jeffgordon

The weight of 140.5kg is mentioned all over the media and on the forums. It seem to be the correct weight although Sanparks said that they will confirm the weight of the tusks.

We don't always believe that what we see are actually history in the making.

Post subject: Re: Duke
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow! Just read here about Duke's tusk sizes! :big_eyes: Way to go, boy! :clap: He surely carried some heavy ivory on him. What a privelage to be able to say I saw him whilest still alive. :D

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I read in the Beeld newspaper that there are plans to put up replicas of Duke's tusks at Croc Bridge.

(use Google translate to translate from Afrikaans)

That will be great if the plan is carried out! :clap:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Mant wrote:
Hi,

I thought his real tusks were going to be put on show in the Letaba Elephant Hall?

What happened to that idea?

Samantha

Maybe they will carry out that plan too? :hmz:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
I read in the Beeld newspaper that there are plans to put up replicas of Duke's tusks at Croc Bridge.

(use Google translate to translate from Afrikaans)

That will be great if the plan is carried out! :clap:

I recently spoke with Dawie Fourie (the artist mentioned) and can confirm that the replicas are very near completion and it will indeed be put up at Croc Bridge. View Dawie's painting of Duke (and others) at http://www.southafricanartists.com/home/DawieFourie
http://www.natureartists.com/dawie_fourie.asp

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
KNP March 2014: Tamboti, Olifants, Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Mant wrote:
Hi,

I thought his real tusks were going to be put on show in the Letaba Elephant Hall?

What happened to that idea?

Samantha

Because Duke was not part of the magnificent 7 it is unlikely that replicas of his tusks will end up at the Elephant hall museum in Letaba.

I think it should be included there in a special section, but the views on this is still pretty much split.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

It would indeed be a fitting tribute to a magnificent Elephant if his tusks can be displayed in the Elephant hall.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 am 

Hi All,

On a recent trip to KNP I visited the Elephant Hall in Letaba.

While chatting with the lady on duty at the desk we got around to discussing Duke and the possibility of his tusks ever being displayed there. It sounded like it won't happen.

Duke broke both of his tusks while he was still alive and this seems to disqualify him. Although his tusks were found and they now make up a near weight record for KNP, and one of them is the longest, they are not complete tusks.

Poor old Joao of the Magnificent Seven doesn't even rate a mention these days, yet his tusks were the heaviest of the Magnificent Seven when they were recorded some years before he lost them. Unfortunately, they were lost while he was alive and were never found and he can't take his rightful place in the hall.

I think that Duke's tusks should be displayed, if only because of the incredible story of how the broken pieces were found and recovered. He is only 2 kg's away from the outright record and one of his tusks is longer than Shawu's.

Oh, and he was the king of Kruger for many years.

Perhaps space can be made for a photographic display of the fantastic tuskers who don't qualify to have their tusks displayed. Thinking about it, there are at least 30 of these grand old bulls who should have some recognition. It wouldn't take up a lot of room in the hall. The photographs don't have to be large ones.

Ironically, many of them had tusks that are heavier than Shingwedzi, Dzombo and perhaps even Mafunyane, so a photo display of them is a good idea, I think.

Regards,

Digby.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Digby, that would indeed be such a nice idea, if some recognition could be given to Duke and the others.
Just some photos and stories would be better than nothing, if indeed his tusks will not be displayed. :thumbs_up:

I don't know the practicalities of this, but it would be great if possible. :clap:

Maybe some of us forum members could donate photos that we've taken over the years. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:39 am 

Hi,

I think it is ESSENTIAL that they put Duke's tusks up in the Letaba Elephant Hall. He was a very special elephant, even though I didn't have the privilege of meeting him.

I think a lot of people won't be very happy if his tusks don't get put up with his story in the Letaba Elephant Hall.

I think if enough of us bug the Letaba Elephant Hall Management, maybe they will do it.

Samantha

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 am 

I think the Elephant Hall should stay as it is, as a tribute to 7 individuals who defied the odds and survived to mature into the original Big Tuskers.

With the poaching of elephants and the wars in Zimbabwe and Mozambique that they lived through, it is staggering that they survived as long as they did with their great tusks intact.

The Duke story is unique and I think has significance for the forum in particular. But maybe there should be a story board dedicated to him nearer to his home range, perhaps in Lower Sabie.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:38 pm 

Hi Saraf,

Yes, only Dzombo was lost to poachers and the others were indeed fortunate not to be poached.

SANPARKS policy for the Elephant Hall seems to me to be to display the tusks of the original Magnificent Seven, being Kambaku (127.2kg's); Ndlulamithi (121.8kg's); Dzombo (112.3kg's); Mafunyane (110.0 kg's); Shingwedzi (105.3kg's); and Shawu (103.4kg's). Joao's tusks were lost before he died and he is thus disqualified even though they might have been the heaviest of the seven.

Nhlangulene (109.5kg's) was included, although not one of the original Magnificent Seven, because his ivory was also exceptional and he was largely unknown at the time the Magnificent Seven were publicised.

SANPARKS then also included Phelwane (135.5kg's) as the then weight record and Mandleve (142.5kg's) as the new weight record.

If a bull with heavier ivory dies with his tusks then SANPARKS will most probably include him with these nine greats. Eventually this elephant will come along. The bloodlines are there so it will happen someday.

Interestingly enough, Bruce Bryden mentioned in his book that at the time the original Magnificent Seven were selected there were around 40 other bulls in the same weight class. I wonder what became of them and if their ivory was recovered, or if records of them were kept by SANPARKS. It would be fantastic to have this information to browse.

Duke is a special case and perhaps he does deserve his own display in the south of the park, where he ranged widely. More people will see him if displayed at Lower Sabie, even though Crocodile Bridge was his favourite area of the park.

Regards,

Digby.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
At my Tusker website I have a special section for the Magnificent 7 and a section for the Tuskers of yesterday.
Perhaps it could be an idea to have a special section for the so called other Big Tuskers including Duke, Hlanganini, Mandleve, Mashagadzi, Phelwane a.o. calling them the Famous Big Tuskers of Kruger or another name , maybe good suggestions by you?

If I think of Duke I would say "legendary Tusker" would be the right name :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have a suggestion. If we get agreement, maybe somebody closer to home would like to champion it.

1. Since the forum was heavily involved in the rescue of Duke's broken tusks, maybe we could sponsor a display at Croc Bridge.
2. With the new gate now well in operation, what is happening to the old reception. Maybe place could be made for the display.
3. Duke's tusks could be displayed and an appropriate story of his 'beat', tusk breaks, retrieval thereof, and last days could be scripted and displayed in a similar manner to the Harry Wolhuter lion skin display at Skuk.

What do you think about it?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist, i like your idea very much. (All three) :) Space enough at C/bridge. :thumbs_up:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next