Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you like to assist with Kids in the Parks?
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Scouter :hello:
I have been popping in and out of your 'kids trip' must say I am very impressed
with your energy :roll: ... And also must say it looks like fun :hmz: .. With this
in mind I would like to ask or even offer that if I "a non Afrikaans speaking Brit " could
be considered for any future trips please put forward my name :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Dreamer and JenB for helping to turn the page :thumbs_up: Dreamer, those rangers were very naughty sometimes :whistle: .... Jen, am working on the next installment now ...

dellac - thanks for reading and so glad you have been enjoying it - I must say I've enjoyed reliving it again. I'm sure the lack of Afrikaans won't be too much of a problem - you can always contact Henriette when the time comes and see what she says - I do know that they have had some British volunteers in the past :thumbs_up:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

While the kids did a final run around and played a final game of soccer ( boys) and netball (girls) we did a final clearup and packed everything away, ready for the next onslaught later that afternoon. We left GBP nice and early the first Wednesday as Bassier had a looooong trip to Philandersbron to drop off the first load of kids and pick up the next lot ( the Grade 7’s ) from the same school – but Philandersbron is the furthest school away from KTP so it was going to be a long tiring ( and I’m sure smelly) day for him. When I expressed my concern about a 3 to 4 hour bus ride with kids who had just eaten boiled eggs for breakfast, darling Toya told me not to worry as they each had an orange in their goodie bags and apparently if they ate them then the bus would just smell of oranges and not other vile smells :big_eyes: I honestly didn’t have the guts to ask Bassier if it worked, but he has been doing KiP every year for the last 8 or 9 years so it couldn’t have been too awful :tongue:

We arrived at Auchterlonie a few minutes after the bus to find very excited children. The first item on the agenda was a group photo in front of the bus, everyone in their gorgeous lime-green Kids in Parks t-shirts ...

They then got into their 4 groups for one final activity. Henriette had drawn up a great crossword puzzle with rhyming clues on 9 different things to see at Auchterlonie. The kids ( along with a teacher/helper) were then sent off to try and decipher the clues to get the right answer that fitted in the crossword puzzle.

Henriette is truly amazing and such a talented lady – I wish I had kept a copy of what the kids got – it was brilliant and she made up the most awesome rhymes for them ....

There is a sign at the well saying “beware of possible bee activity “ so this was one of the clues ... I wish I had my camera at the ready when one of the boys came to tell Jannie Bok that he had dropped his cap into the well and would Jannie please get it out for him... thankfully there is a wire grate a couple of feet down ( probably to stop twits leaning over and falling in ) but I do wish I could have captured Jannie hanging over the wall trying to fish this kids cap out – but I was too busy laughing - it was hysterical ...

Another of the clues was at the tanning pit behind the loos ....

And one at the blacksmiths forge and another at the other kraal or whatever it actually was in its day ...

There was one where they had to count the vanes on the “windpomp” at the Auchterlonie waterhole – not an easy task when the wind is blowing ( which it was most of the time) ....

Jannie Bok was always at the alert, especially when the kids went walkabout to the furthest “kraal” which is long way along the path ....

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Scouter

Thanks for keeping us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: updated :D

Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Only a pleasure Leana - feeling sad that I'm coming to the end soon :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Scouter next time you should add baked beans and cabbage to the breakfast menu Just say tat no one must light a match in the bus .. And tell them all to take their takkies off.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hugh, that is just plain horrendous :big_eyes: .... come to think of it there WERE baked beans in the first nights supper that might have accounted for the interesting bus trip the next day :hmz:

After everyone had finished their crossword puzzles ( some of them very very slowly) , they were rounded up one final time for the prizegiving. There were small prizes for the overall winning team and also for the Bingo and the SANParks game and I think for this final activity too ( sorry, by this time I was pretty out of it and not really paying much attention – it was pretty noisy and I think I zoned out a bit )..

With the victors happily clutching their brown paper packets of spoils, there was only time to say goodbye and thank you and hand out their final goodie bags ( including the miraculous bad smell evaporating oranges) and their fruit juices before they boarded the bus back home.

I’m sure all the hoards of tourists who popped up to Auchterlonie for a quick pit-stop or a breakfast break were amazed to see a busload of green t-shirted kids taking over the normally peaceful picnic spot. I must say though that ALL the kids were extremely well behaved while they were there – there was very little running around or going mad ( maybe they were as shattered as we were :D ) and we did have a few people come and chat to us and ask what was going on – the vast majority of the visitors just tried to pretend that we weren’t there ( but I’m sure they noticed when they tried to use the loos afterwards as EVERYONE had to “ loop n draai “ – before they got on the bus for the final slog back to school ... :twisted: )...

My plan was to pop back down to Twee Rivieren and catch up – with the family back home via cellphone and sms and whattsapp and also personally with my “family” in TR :dance: I must say I did enjoy those precious few hours of having a rustige lunch with only a 2 year old running around and not 50 kids ! Vanessa and I normally managed to get a quick drive in as well – usually just up to Rooiputs and back but it was nice to actually be out in the park again.

This is the last photo I took of the bus ... at Samevloeiing on my last Friday ...

So basically that was a group of kids in a nutshell.... In on a Monday afternoon, out on a Wednesday morning, next lot in on Wed afternoon, out on the Friday morning... at least the program seemed to get easier as we got used to the routine and ironed out the kinks and found what worked and what didn’t. Hopefully by the time bosticbudgie and co arrive in a week everything will be running like clockwork :pray:

This is nearly it folks but I do have some nice random photos I want to share once the page has turned ( for the last time I think) ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:47 pm 

The KiP sponsors certainly had a sense of humour. Lime green t-shirts and purple bags. You aren't going to miss that combination coming towards you.

I so glad this project is coming together and that so many kids are having a glimpse into nature. Hopefully its something that will stay with them for a long time.

Many, many thanks to everyone who made this all possible, you are all truly amazing people.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So enjoyed this Scouter :clap: What a time you all had

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
I have really enjoyed your account of Kids In Parks. Well done Scouter and to all who were involved in this amazing project! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much saraf, Dotty and wanderw :thumbs_up:

Have a few last photos I'd like to post so if anyone would be so kind as to help turn the page I'd really appreciate it :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:17 am 

You all will be remembered by the Kids in their memoires if they have kids they might tell about this experience. And they might even take their kids to the park and see for themselves
You all deserve a big :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Jonkers :D - I often wondered who was having the most fun - me or the kids :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 am 

Loved following this! Well done Scouter and the others involved. :clap: :clap: You guys really have hearts of gold.

Scouter, I do hope a link of this report is sent onto Pick n Pay Kids in Parks people - I am sure they will appreciate and enjoy your efforts here too!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks DB - so glad you have been enjoying it :thumbs_up: ... I'd be more than happy to pass it on - just not sure how or to whom ..... but yes, they might enjoy reading it :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next