Skip to Content

Diesel or Petrol Vehicle?

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Scipio

Re: Diesel or Petrol?

Unread postby Scipio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 pm

No tech talk but from experience.

Nissan Hardbody 2,4 petrol: Great, heavy on fuel, 8km's/l, great offroad
Landrover S3 with 3,5V8: A monster, nothing can stop it, Thirsty.
Jeep Cherokee 4.0: Light on fuel, great on and offroad.
Landrover TD5 130: Another monster, but light on fuel, especially in Kruger.
Jeep Grand cherokee 4.7V8: Light on fuel, 9km's/l, great offroad, comfy as heck.
Landrover Overlander 2,6 Petrol: My baby, between 6 and 7,7 km's/l

All at least a oilchange every 5000km's cause I drive dirt.

It does not really matter diesel or petrol, especially the new ones, get what you like, that suites you and enjoy. :thumbs_up:

I love the Terios, and Suzuki, but the rest is also good, just stay away from the Chinese cheapies, they don't last. :wink:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Diesel or Petrol Vehicle?

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:36 am

I am trying to type in miniature, so excuse possible tyos, but I need a bit of urgent help.

I found what seemed to be a good second hand Land Rover. The dealer is trying to locate the owners manual. In the meanwhile I am at home with a lighning fried computer, hence no Google and a central locking problem.

I have no problem unlocking the drivers door, but cannot unlock the passenger doors. I remember a previous car had special security features on the central locking to protect against theft or hijacking. Does the Landy have such a feature?

I would be grateful if a Landy owner could help me.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Troupant1

Unread postby Troupant1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:03 am

In drive a 2008 Toyota Rav 4 manual diesel. I have done 126000 trouble free kilometres. My fuel consumption at present is 5,8 litres per 100 km and I am still on my first set of front disc pads. The advantage of a diesel is further that it has high torque at low refs. In 6 th gear the Rav pulls far better than any petrol driven vehicle I have had. When I stop at a sighting I make a point of switching off immediately because I also find the sound of any idling vehicle, irrespective whether it is a petrol or diesel engine, intrusive.

Mez

Unread postby Mez » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi Meandering Mouse,
I noticed you haven't had a reply yet. I've never had a landrover but I know some cars you have to press the central locking button twice. You've probably already tried that. In which case there's a more complicated answer here http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/3r0qr- ... -door.html
Hope this helps somewhat!
Mez
Kgalagadi 2015:
June 29th & 30th Twee Rivieren
July 1st & 2nd Mata Mata
3rd & 4th Urikaruus
5th & 6th Nossob
7th Kieliekrankie

Addo:
July 9th-14th (Main camp)

Counting down already!!!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Good thinking mez - my Toyota is like that - one click driver's door unlocks, 2 clicks the other doors unlock.. I do hope that will be the answer for MM - she has had a tough time with car, computer etc.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”