SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are tents safe from Baboons
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am not sure whether tents or the rondavels are safe from the baboons :doh: . When we recently stayed in Satara, the camping area was behind the house and one day the baboons were all over and in one of the tents and the occupants were away, but we informed them what happened when they returned as I think it a kinda nasty surprise on your return :? . We tried to scare them off but they took no notice, even showing us their teeth. Once in Olifants Camp, but this was in the rondavels overlooking the river our neighbours who have just arrived were unpacking and the baboons were around. The one grabbed an entire plastic bag of apples and the other one a six pack of beer which they have placed on the veranda wall, very temptingly I should add, but I do not think they thought about the baboons. He even “opened” the one can of beer by making a sort of hole in it on the side and drank the contents that was coming out of the can very happy looking :D. the rightful owner of the beer looked :( because I think they wanted to start to relax. In Letaba once we saw a big one open the screen door of one of those rondavels with the mosquito mesh on the stoep and taking the food from the table :shock: . So I would say take care with them around including not tempting them, but those who camp with tents I think it is bit more difficult.

Post subject: Re: Sanparks Forum and Facebook pages!!
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
wildflowergirl wrote:
a plastic toy snake can also keep the monkeys away. put it on a rope and make it to move every once in a while.

Took the words out of my mouth :thumbs_up:
I have a selection of about 12 rubber snakes that I rotate to keep the monkeys and baboons away :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just be careful WHERE you place the toy snake. :lol: I remember a post a very long time ago where they did the same and the monkeys tried to "kill" the snake by throwing stones at it, causing quite extensive damage to the rented vehicle the poster was using, which was parked exactly in the wrong spot.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm 

And one got "forgotten" once and scared half to death the next occupants of the bungalow.

Post subject: Re: snakes and monkeys
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
In Moremi, Botswana, the monkeys have have learned that the plastic snakes are just 'plastic' They actually approach the 'snakes' nonchalantly and toss them into the bush. Ketties also don't work. When they see that you aim a kettie at them, they move behind the branch. As you move to the other side, they just move back. Those monkeys know every trick in the book and I am afraid that our clever little primates will eventually figure out that our plastic snakes is just that, plastic.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I wonder how the little scamps would react to a radio controlled snake :whistle:

(Google it if you don't believe me!)

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: Bundi! Good idea....

Radio controlled one.... that could provide hours of entertainment! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 pm 

Hi All,

I remember reading of a field guide in Botswana who used to use a cuddly toy leopard to keep the monkeys away from his tent.

The monkeys used his tent as a trampoline when he was trying to get some zzzzzzzz's between duties and he found the toy leopard helped keep the naughty devils away.

I wouldn't think it would work in the case of baboons, though. They would sort the "leopard" out p.d.q.!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm 

I can tell you, one of the funnest things that my family have ever seen, happened at Lower Sabie camp, in the Kruger .
We decided to walk down to the fence from the old shop, to see what we could see in or around the river and the closest route, was through the bungalows.
Now on the way down I noticed a brown paper bag, the same as the ones that they supply, when you make a purchase in the shops.
Well me being very nosy, or inquisitive I had to pick up the packet to see what somebody had dropped .
Well as I picked it up, I could definitely feel that there was something inside of the bag and at the same moment I also noticed that there where some people from one of the bungalows watching me.
I had already picked up the bag and I was a little embarrassed that they had seen me, so I quickly looked in the bag and to my horror, I saw a snake in the bag.
Now I am absolutely terrified, of snakes, so I threw the bag and ran in the opposite direction.
My family were rolling on the grass with laughter, as were those people who were watching didn't catch a monkey as there intended target they caught me hook line and sinker with a rubber snake .
Looking back on it now, it was really funny. :shock: :? :redface:

Post subject: question about vervet monkeys in camps
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hi, we are planning a trip to the Kruger in 2013 in August/September (about 3 weeks) and are really excited about it.
We are 4 people with 2 cars and 2 tents.
We heard that the monkeys are ripping tents apart to get to food.
We normally keep all food in closed containers in our cars and prepare food outside our tents, but are afraid that the monkeys will try to get in our tents even if there is no food.
We are thinking to go to Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba and Pretoriuskop and will be making reservations in October.
We would like to know if these camps are plagued by monkeys and if we need to worry at all?
We heard that Pretoriuskop and Berg & Dal is some of the camps that have a serious monkey problem.
We went to Kruger in 2009 and had no problems then.
I could really use some advice.

Post subject: Re: question about vervet monkeys in camps
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi

I think you are being scared unecessarily. Just keep your tents closed when you are not there.

Vervets will not dammage your tents. Keeping food locked away in containers is a good precaution.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm not an expert, but I think it is a case of bad news gets reported, good news doesn't.

We don't say in our TRs "we were not visited by monkeys", but as soon as any of us has a problem, we post it for all to see, and it can get out of all proportion!!!

Of course vervets and baboons regularly visit the camps (some more than others), but they don't usually stay around if there is no food.

Some people find that rubber snakies left nearby can deter them....some say it doesn't, but maybe it's worth a try.

So as Imberbe says, lock away all your food and keep your tent locked up. :thumbs_up:

Please don't stress about it........your planning and anticipation of the trip should be a happy time.

I know it's a long way off, but when you do arrive, I hope you have a wonderful visit to my favourite place on earth. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
You will enjoy your holiday Monkeys or not
When we keep food in the tents its in a thick plastic container and I tie cord all round them with lots of knots etc etc
I have a nice largish very realistic plastic ssssssnake which I lie on top ..
I also have a nice beeeg spray bottle that shoots a nice stream of water .
This I fill with half water and half vinegar
Just dont aim for the eyes . they keep away after this as they dont like the bitter taste of the vinegar and it does them no harm .
By the way Imberbe they can rip open the tents ..
I have a nice sewn up bit of netting to prove this .
They will never bother you if you are in the tent though

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Knoetsie

Monkeys in camps are a reality however as long as no food is left lying around and kept in containers as you plan to do it will serve its purpose. The monkeys are very clever and mange to open anything they will not tear your tent if there is no food. We have unfortunately witnessed a tent being damaged due to the fact the there was food inside they have a very good sense of smell.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 pm 

Thanx so much! We are very excited about our trip next year. Will keep the tip about the plastic snake in mind! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next