Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Moderator: lion queen

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Keeping your photos safe....

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 am

What have you done to achieve that?

I have a NAS in my network for storing the photos.
You can read more about that in the link, but in very short a NAS is a little box with a few harddisks in it. In my case 2, both of 1.5 TB in size. These disks are exact copies as I am using RAID. This means I only have 1.5, not 3, TB available, but if one of the disks dies I can simply replace it and after a long wait it will again be an exact copy.
Next to that I have an external harddisk onto which the photos are copied as well. Now the smartest thing to do would be to have that disk in a different location, but... I haven't done that yet.
I am rather sure though that my 65.000+ photos are quite safe.

Where are your photos? Are they safe?
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Keeping your photos safe....

Unread postby bert » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am

First load them on the comp
Then back-up on the 1 external harddisc

No so safe as yours but good enough for me

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 am

On my laptop.......then onto two external HD.........then onto my office comp........think that is more than enough.......and then just for the fun........made an extra dvd for my friend, so if all else go horribly wrong she can give those back to me............ :whistle:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 am

You are obviously shooting jpeg... If I do that? It is something like 800 GB at the moment, that won't even fit on my workmachine. :)
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I do and my photos are way less nice than any of yours!!......... :clap: :clap: :clap:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

I exploit a 2TB hard drive, connected via USB to my router, which allows for any PC in my home network to access the photos. Further, I keep a copy of each file on my PC until I have backed up the raw photos onto DVD, so there are always two copies available, albeit not online and instantly accessible.

I have no need to back up any J-Peg pictures to DVD as these can easily be recreated from the raw files if and when required. My prime reason for shooting .jpg is so that I can send pictures via e-mail without having to first convert from raw, especially at the time of the shoot. As such, I shoot raw and small (but fine) jpg, retaining only the raw when storing on the external drive and DVD.
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Wildlife4ever-Roy

Unread postby Wildlife4ever-Roy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I have almost the same as you DuQues. Only I haven't set my 2 drives nas to RAID 1,but to JBOD. Because if a disk fails, I still have the photos on the computer(on the internal drive) and some also on an external drive.
And like your said, I still need to store them on a different location... I said it already a couple of times, but haven't done it yet :).

When I'm on a trip, I use two external hard drives. On one I download the photos on and ones in a while(most of the time, after I shot some good pictures) I copy everything from drive 1 to 2 as backup.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 pm

I use a 6TB, 4 bay Synology NAS in a RAID-5 setup to store my files and I archive the original hard drives which I use during my trip.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”