Skip to Content

Monkeys & Baboons in Camps/picnic Sites etc.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

On our last visit to Tshokwane while we were having lunch there were several monkeys hanging around all eyeing out all the various tables and opportunities and obviously judging which ones would be easy pickings so to speak.
Suddenly there was a scream and a yell and they had descended on a table a little way away from us and got away with part of their lunch.
With that a male attendant arrived with a stick in hand and of course the monkeys took one look and vanished.

But then he proceeded to admonish the tourists for feeding the monkeys, they protested their innocence but later when we met one of them while in the ladies, they were very upset by the whole incident and said they hadn't intended to feed them and as this was their first visit hadn't realised how wily the monkeys could be.

So yes, we did feel the attendant was a bit harsh on them but I guess he has to deal with this every day and gets sick and tired of it all.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:11 pm

bert wrote:And starlings & hornbills are always present at every picnic spot

Actually I missed them in december/januari. At most places they were fairly far away. At Babalala we saw 2 starlings, at Mooiplaas none that I can remember. Makhadzi had 1, and a few squirrels and hornbills, but all shy, Muzandzeni was empty too.
I love the sound of the starlings, and want some better photos of them, so I keep an eye on them.
We were lucky enough now to have a baboon problem at all.

But feeding = leaving food out where they can get at it yes. At least in my eyes.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Are tents safe from Baboons

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm

I am not sure whether tents or the rondavels are safe from the baboons :doh: . When we recently stayed in Satara, the camping area was behind the house and one day the baboons were all over and in one of the tents and the occupants were away, but we informed them what happened when they returned as I think it a kinda nasty surprise on your return :? . We tried to scare them off but they took no notice, even showing us their teeth. Once in Olifants Camp, but this was in the rondavels overlooking the river our neighbours who have just arrived were unpacking and the baboons were around. The one grabbed an entire plastic bag of apples and the other one a six pack of beer which they have placed on the veranda wall, very temptingly I should add, but I do not think they thought about the baboons. He even “opened” the one can of beer by making a sort of hole in it on the side and drank the contents that was coming out of the can very happy looking :D. the rightful owner of the beer looked :( because I think they wanted to start to relax. In Letaba once we saw a big one open the screen door of one of those rondavels with the mosquito mesh on the stoep and taking the food from the table :shock: . So I would say take care with them around including not tempting them, but those who camp with tents I think it is bit more difficult.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Re: Sanparks Forum and Facebook pages!!

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

wildflowergirl wrote:a plastic toy snake can also keep the monkeys away. put it on a rope and make it to move every once in a while.

Took the words out of my mouth :thumbs_up:
I have a selection of about 12 rubber snakes that I rotate to keep the monkeys and baboons away :thumbs_up:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am

Just be careful WHERE you place the toy snake. :lol: I remember a post a very long time ago where they did the same and the monkeys tried to "kill" the snake by throwing stones at it, causing quite extensive damage to the rented vehicle the poster was using, which was parked exactly in the wrong spot.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

Unread postby saraf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm

And one got "forgotten" once and scared half to death the next occupants of the bungalow.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: snakes and monkeys

Unread postby Rooies » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm

In Moremi, Botswana, the monkeys have have learned that the plastic snakes are just 'plastic' They actually approach the 'snakes' nonchalantly and toss them into the bush. Ketties also don't work. When they see that you aim a kettie at them, they move behind the branch. As you move to the other side, they just move back. Those monkeys know every trick in the book and I am afraid that our clever little primates will eventually figure out that our plastic snakes is just that, plastic.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Brummie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

I wonder how the little scamps would react to a radio controlled snake :whistle:

(Google it if you don't believe me!)
"Birmingham people, you guys take care of us. We have to give you all the respect Birmingham."

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postby Digby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi All,

I remember reading of a field guide in Botswana who used to use a cuddly toy leopard to keep the monkeys away from his tent.

The monkeys used his tent as a trampoline when he was trying to get some zzzzzzzz's between duties and he found the toy leopard helped keep the naughty devils away.

I wouldn't think it would work in the case of baboons, though. They would sort the "leopard" out p.d.q.!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: question about vervet monkeys in camps

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm not an expert, but I think it is a case of bad news gets reported, good news doesn't.

We don't say in our TRs "we were not visited by monkeys", but as soon as any of us has a problem, we post it for all to see, and it can get out of all proportion!!!

Of course vervets and baboons regularly visit the camps (some more than others), but they don't usually stay around if there is no food.

Some people find that rubber snakies left nearby can deter them....some say it doesn't, but maybe it's worth a try.

So as Imberbe says, lock away all your food and keep your tent locked up. :thumbs_up:

Please don't stress about it........your planning and anticipation of the trip should be a happy time.

I know it's a long way off, but when you do arrive, I hope you have a wonderful visit to my favourite place on earth. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: question about vervet monkeys in camps

Unread postby Hugh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm

You will enjoy your holiday Monkeys or not
When we keep food in the tents its in a thick plastic container and I tie cord all round them with lots of knots etc etc
I have a nice largish very realistic plastic ssssssnake which I lie on top ..
I also have a nice beeeg spray bottle that shoots a nice stream of water .
This I fill with half water and half vinegar
Just dont aim for the eyes . they keep away after this as they dont like the bitter taste of the vinegar and it does them no harm .
By the way Imberbe they can rip open the tents ..
I have a nice sewn up bit of netting to prove this .
They will never bother you if you are in the tent though
"Grandmothers are antique little girls"

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: safety of safari tents

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 am

The biggest problem in the tents.

Always my favourite place to stay. Keep food locked away though. I have even had a situation where monkeys managed to slip through the netting over the windows to get to my sweet potatoes.

I often go to the Park alone and not the biggest person. I have never felt scared or threatened at all.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Philip1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:49 am

:roll: Agree with MM. They can even open a Tent Zip, with one "hand" :whistle:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Whether in a chalet, safari tent or plain camping, the vervets and baboons are the "robbers" to be wary of!

Several times, staying in chalets, we have turned our backs for one moment and had vervet monkeys rush inside and pinch something.
Their favourite trick is to watch as you arrive and start unpacking your car - if you leave the boot/back open for a split second they are in there and you must shut the chalet door securely each time you go back to the vehicle!

The most amusing was when I was on my own at Tamboti.
During the night I kept on hearing a rustling noise inside the tent.
All food was safely put away.
I couldn't work it out.
In the morning I discovered tiny teeth marks on the bar of soap in the bathroom - probably a squirrel!
I think he had also been trying to get into sealed bags in the tent - accounting for the noise.

Tim - you will love the safari tents - a real feeling of being in the bush!
Just look after your valuables and your food!
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Timbits » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Agree with all the previous comments. Keep your valuables with you. Don't leave food lying about.

We had an incident in Skukuza - We were staying in a hut and had dutifully stacked the chairs in front of the (outdoor) fridge. We went out for the afternoon and when we came back, we saw a banded mongoose scurry out from the fridge. Two buddies were acting as lookouts. They had managed to open the door and left a pile of shredded cheese in the bottom of the fridge. :(

Moral of the story - It's not only baboons and vervets that you have to watch out for, in tents or huts. The fridges in the tents in Lower Sabie are in a cage which you secure with a chain and padlock. Use it, or take your chances. :wall:

Return to “Kruger National Park”