Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe - an absolute treasure
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:21 pm 

I am thinking off camping in Mapungubwe, any one with advice on what time of year or what to take with. How are the facilities regarding ablutions etc. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
giraffee wrote:
ps. Rosemary, I did complete the guest feedback form. At reception Winnie Sebatje is an absolute jewel and and at LFTC it is Frieda from the cleaning crew. both worth gold.

:D Thanks giraffe - I will pass this on :thumbs_up:

Bushbarmy wrote:
I must say the service in the east is impeccable and the service from the camps in west is also wonderful...

Bushbarmy, I will pass your comments re the service on - thanks :thumbs_up:

@arks - those ruins sure do look interesting. I am sure someone will be able to shed some light.

Last edited by RosemaryH on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Arks, I will be going next month with my daughter who does a lot of work for WITS history department. We will certainly take a look.

Jan Smuts had a cottage at Mapungubwe and this is not shown on the usual maps. There were also military border posts during the bush war period. If it is recent and military, it might go back to that era.

Busharmy, we have to bear in mind that Mapungubwe is a work in progress. Much of the land in that area is owned by private concerns such as Den Staat. Sanparks has been negotiating for years to consolidate the 2 pieces of ground. Because the land is income producing, the cost of the land has been a major obstacle.

This was also hunting territory. There was little attention placed on land rehabilitation and care for the future. Many fenced off areas are areas not yet properly rehabilitated. On top of this, remember this area was once part of the homelands, so the previous government was not too concerned about throwing money in that direction.

I could not agree more though that it is a travesty to have mining anywhere near such an important place. However, when Sanparks took over Mapengubwe, it was pretty much barren land. What we see today is mainly thanks to Sanparks.

The heritage site and graves were kept secret my the previous government for many years, as it contadicted what was being taught in schools, that the whites were the first "known civilasation' in South Africa.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Arks , those are in fact the remains of military barracks from when the area was military property , saw when on a day walk there .
The area was closed to all but the military (and was not part of the homelands) as the area was a hotbed of insurgent incursions in the late '80's by freedom fighters who planted landmines indescriminately along the borders of SA .
I believe a reasonable degree of preservation of the area was maintained during this time considering the insurgent situation , I would go as far as saying it was better preserved at the time than is the case with heritage sights in general today .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bedazel wrote:
I am thinking off camping in Mapungubwe, any one with advice on what time of year or what to take with. How are the facilities regarding ablutions etc. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

We camped there last year and the ablutions were fine. It's a beautiful rustic camp set in amongst trees and thick bush.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, MM and ndloti, for your information on those ruins. I know that there is a lot of fencing and other evidence of the military use of the area during the 80s in the western part of the park, but wasn't certain whether these particular remains were from an earlier period.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ndloti, just a gentle reminder, Mapunguwe was only declared a heritage site in 2003. I find your comment rather suprising.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Smuts' house .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
Arks , those are in fact the remains of military barracks from when the area was military property , saw when on a day walk there .
The area was closed to all but the military (and was not part of the homelands) as the area was a hotbed of insurgent incursions in the late '80's by freedom fighters who planted landmines indescriminately along the borders of SA .
I believe a reasonable degree of preservation of the area was maintained during this time considering the insurgent situation , I would go as far as saying it was better preserved at the time than is the case with heritage sights in general today .

Yes you're right ndloti,
I have fond memories of times spent on the hill (koppie) overlooking the confluence of the Limpop and Shashe rivers many years ago. We could even hear the resident leopard patrolling his area at night. Beautiful!

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 am 

Which road to Mapungubwe from Pretoria is advisable? The one via Musina or via Vivo/Alldays? (main roads can be so boring)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:58 pm 

I would suggest Vivo/Alldays. Took this road in april this year.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have done both routes and both routes are good. The Alldays has the advantage of no tolls, hence cheaper.

The N1 has a few very scenic areas with magnificent Baobabs. It also has a good shopping centre on the way if you need to stock up.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:24 pm 

Where is the shopping centre MM? I've just booked up Mapungubwe for next year and will be heading up from the airport.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Thunderbird :D

the shopping centre is just off the N1 in Makhado, what used to be called Louis Trichardt. It is situated between Polekwane and Mussina on the toll road.

There is a very pleasant centre where all needs can be met. I seem to remember that the main shop was a Pick and Pay, but they had a news agency and liqour outlet as well. The fact that it was just off the main route meant that it was very convenient. It is far better to shop there than Mussina that can be very crowded with Zimbabwens doing over the border shopping.

I also loved the large baobabs on the route, quite spectacular.

I do hope that you have a stunning stay. Mapungubwe is such a special place.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:58 pm 

Great! Thanks. I look forward to it. 2 nights there, then Punda Maria 1 night then Olifants 3 nights... again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next