Plant: Wild Hibiscus (Hibiscus spp)

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hibiscus spp

Unread postby arks » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:50 am

@Mods: Please see my post here before you move this post.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Are these pix all the same plant? Is it perhaps some sort of wild hibiscus?
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am

Hi arks,

Pics 1 - 3 are indeed Wild Hibiscus (Hibiscus Engleri)
1 of several yellow-flowered hibiscus typified by 5 large petals and branched style. These plants are slender shrubs or small trees with rough leaves and branches. The leaves are usually lobed with tooth margins and are covered with rough hairs. The large cup-shaped flowers are scattered along the branches on thin stalks. They are often yellow with a dark eye; the flowers are very delicate and last only a day before wilting; fresh ones open each morning.

The last one (bottom right) however is Hibiscus cannabinus (Hemp-leaved Hibiscus)
Some places it is cultivated for the fiber in its stem, that is an important raw material in paper production and woven fabrics.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks, JB!! I really had NO idea these were two different sorts of hibiscus and now wish I'd noticed the differences — something to do next time :D I guess the one on the bottom right is also more like a hollyhock (tall stalk with several flowers) than a shrub?

@DQ: Now with this post, I can see that it ends up being two different topics :wink:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Jakkalsbessie

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:46 am

arks wrote:Thanks, JB!! I really had NO idea these were two different sorts of hibiscus and now wish I'd noticed the differences — something to do next time :D I guess the one on the bottom right is also more like a hollyhock (tall stalk with several flowers) than a shrub?

Yes arks that (flowers also more solitary) and also if you look closely you'll see the stems of the flowers +/ buds are much closer to the main stem than the others.
Flowers usually more a pale yellow or cream with a dark purple centre.
“cannabinus” because the leaves (3 to 7 lobbed) resembles that of Cannabis (Cannabis sativus) - marijuana for those who don't know :wink:

Some more interesting uses (other than just the fiber (kenaf or Deccan hemp): Leaves, flowers and young fruit cooked as a green vegetable. Seed oil used medicinally and in oil lamps.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Return to “Plants”