Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Latish arrival at Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

Hi all (especially Addo locals)

We are visiting Addo in Sept/Oct school holidays and will be entering Addo at Colchester (Matyholweni), but driving up to the main camp. Our family will be joining us a day later and won't be in time to enter at Colchester so will have to go to the main gate, possibly after dark. Coming along the N2 from Plettenberg Bay side, which is the best road to take to the main Addo gate, from a potholes/roadworks/general conditions point of view.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Latish arrival at Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:45 pm 

Hi Sandy,

If your family take the first turning signposted Addo Elephant NP off the N2 when heading east from Port Elizabeth (the turn-off for the R335 at Motherwell), it's a smooth run and a good road to the main reception at Addo. If I remember correctly, you have to pass through two sets of traffic lights (robots) at Motherwell then no obstacles until they turn off the R road a few kilometres past Addo village. The turning for the park is well sign-posted.

Best Wishes,

Andy

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 am 

Hi Andy

Thanks for this info - I had heard that the R335 was in bad condition so glad to hear that the going is good! much appreciated.

Sandy

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hi Sandy,

If they are going to be using that road in the late afternoon to evening, I definately would not recommend it at all. The traffic close to the Motherwell township is normally quite bad and there has recently been some bad service delivery protests in the area. Futher on, the road is fairly narrow and at night isnt the best.

Im not too sure where you are from, or how familiar you are with the roads in the area. I would recommend carrying on the N2 and at the Nanaga interchange, they would take the N10 (the road that goes to Johannesburg). Carry on that road until Paterson (it isnt too far), and at Paterson turn left onto the R342. Addo will be on your left hand side. This is a slightly longer road, but the road is much wider and in way better condition. I normally enter at the Colchester gate, but when entering Addo's main gate, or going up to Zuurberg, I alwasy take this route. If I recall correctly, it is only about an extra 20 odd kms, but you make up the extra distance by being able to go quicker along the route I have suggested. The road is open, no townships, towns, etc to go through at all.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pat

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 am 

Hi Pat

We are Capetonians through and through!

Thanks very much for your information - my husband and I have been to Addo before but the family haven't, and I will certainly suggest that they take the longer but safer route.

I appreciate your local knowledge!

Regards,
Sandy