Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Exit from Addo in the North
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 pm 

Can one drive through Addo and exit the Park in the north. We are wanting to go to Graaff Reinet when we leave and would like to spend as much time in the Park as possible rather than on other roads. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Exit from Addo in the North
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:41 pm 

I would enter via Colchester entrance (South) and travel through the park and go out of the the main gate (North) The main camp has the restaurant and other facilities but if you want a 'picnic you can buy supplies at Colchester and have a picnic at Jacks Place which is a great picnic spot or braai in the park. I find that I cannot cover the whole park in a day while others feel a morning is enough, but then again I enjoy looking at everything. So yes you can leave via the North.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can also leave at the south gate and then take the N10 and then drive over Somerset East to Graaff Reinette. We travelled that road 2 years ago and really enjoyed it (in opposite direction) as it offers good senery and was in a good condition.

You can also exit in the north (at the main camp) and then back track to Paterson and the N10.

Hoephoep

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:48 pm 

Sorry I should have said if you exit North turn right then meet the N10 but if you exit South turn left but I would still enter via the South gate because after driving through the park at least you come to the main camp and can buy food or drinks at the restaurant. Either way enjoy your day

Post subject: Re: Travelling to Addo National Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:24 pm 

We will be staying in Forever Resort Gariep Dam and wish to travel to the Zuurberg entrance gate. What is the best route to follow - via Cradock or via Graaf Reinet and how long should it take us?

Post subject: Re: Travelling to Addo National Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 pm 

You can take the road from Gariep through Steynsburg to Cradock and then turn right at Paterson to the main gate entrance. This is the shortest route. Watch out for a few potholes between Gariep and Cradock...5 hours...stops included.

Post subject: Latish arrival at Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

Hi all (especially Addo locals)

We are visiting Addo in Sept/Oct school holidays and will be entering Addo at Colchester (Matyholweni), but driving up to the main camp. Our family will be joining us a day later and won't be in time to enter at Colchester so will have to go to the main gate, possibly after dark. Coming along the N2 from Plettenberg Bay side, which is the best road to take to the main Addo gate, from a potholes/roadworks/general conditions point of view.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Latish arrival at Addo
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:45 pm 

Hi Sandy,

If your family take the first turning signposted Addo Elephant NP off the N2 when heading east from Port Elizabeth (the turn-off for the R335 at Motherwell), it's a smooth run and a good road to the main reception at Addo. If I remember correctly, you have to pass through two sets of traffic lights (robots) at Motherwell then no obstacles until they turn off the R road a few kilometres past Addo village. The turning for the park is well sign-posted.

Best Wishes,

Andy

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 am 

Hi Andy

Thanks for this info - I had heard that the R335 was in bad condition so glad to hear that the going is good! much appreciated.

Sandy

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hi Sandy,

If they are going to be using that road in the late afternoon to evening, I definately would not recommend it at all. The traffic close to the Motherwell township is normally quite bad and there has recently been some bad service delivery protests in the area. Futher on, the road is fairly narrow and at night isnt the best.

Im not too sure where you are from, or how familiar you are with the roads in the area. I would recommend carrying on the N2 and at the Nanaga interchange, they would take the N10 (the road that goes to Johannesburg). Carry on that road until Paterson (it isnt too far), and at Paterson turn left onto the R342. Addo will be on your left hand side. This is a slightly longer road, but the road is much wider and in way better condition. I normally enter at the Colchester gate, but when entering Addo's main gate, or going up to Zuurberg, I alwasy take this route. If I recall correctly, it is only about an extra 20 odd kms, but you make up the extra distance by being able to go quicker along the route I have suggested. The road is open, no townships, towns, etc to go through at all.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pat

Post subject: road conditions Addo from East London/Durban
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 am 

Hi, my daughter is coming from Durban/East London road to Addo
Normally we come to Addo through the N2 from Tsitsikamma
Any idea with current road conditions if the strecht Durban Addo with a stopover in East London can be done in 2 days? or does she need to plan an extra stop between Port Edward/East London
I don't think we can change Addo / Gardenroute park nights
Any info highly appreciated!
Thanks

Post subject: Re: road conditions Addo from East London/Durban
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 am 

Hi
The rad throught he Transkei will be busy but if she goes carefully, she'll be fine. The N2 was closed just outside Nanaga thanks to a sinkhole but they have since completed the bypass and the N2 is now fully passable. You can do Durbs to Addo in a day, it's a very long day but if you have a 2nd driver, it's very do-able. However, if you want to, rather take a break halfway.

Happy travels!

Post subject: Travelling from East London to Addo main camp towing a carav
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm 

Looking at the map ione can take the R72 to nanaga ; then up the N10 to R342 and to addo village ; at addo village follow the R336 to main gate . Can someone please confirm this route ? Much appreciated. Rgds.

Post subject: Re: Travelling from East London to Addo main camp towing a c
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm 

Hi,
That is the best route. The entrance is however on the R342 before you get to the Addo village. You can't miss it. Enjoy!!

Post subject: Best route to Addo from Stormsrivier with caravan
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hi there,

Can somebody pls help?! First time to Addo - and from readings on the weg-sleep forum, it seems that the R335 is in bad shape - was thinking to drive up to Paterson and take the R342?

Any other sugestions?

Thanks for you help

22-25/07 - Crocodile Bridge
26-27/07- Skukuza
28-30/07 - BnD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next