Skip to Content

International travel tips

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Overseas travellers - avoid blood clots

Unread postby Stark » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:52 pm

You hit the nail on the head for me, DB. I try to walk around, do leg stretches, etc - but I never really thought it could happen to me.

I can speak from experience about compression socks. (though mine are via a prescription) They really are fantastic. Even after I don't have to wear them, they will now be a permanent addition to my carry-on luggage. :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm

People with Factor V Leiden have an increased chance of clotting in long flights. It is in about 5% of the Caucasian population. It is silent and it is serious, causing complications with pregnancy and birth control.

The condition was only really picked up in 1994, hence the relative silence. It is a blood condition that predisposes people to clotting.

If you have a mother/grandmother/aunt who developed clots at a young age, be cautious. It is even worth having tests done to determine your risk. As many as 30% of people with deep vein thrombosis carry the Leiden V factor.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:People with Factor V Leiden have an increased chance of clotting in long flights. It is in about 5% of the Caucasian population. It is silent and it is serious, causing complications with pregnancy and birth control.

The condition was only really picked up in 1994, hence the relative silence. It is a blood condition that predisposes people to clotting.

If you have a mother/grandmother/aunt who developed clots at a young age, be cautious. It is even worth having tests done to determine your risk. As many as 30% of people with deep vein thrombosis carry the Leiden V factor.

Also certain medications have a predispostion to DVTs.
Some contraceptive pills definitely do.
I worked a night shift once with a young nurse who had develped a DVT which she had been told was a complication of taking her pill.
She had come on duty against medical advice and unfortunatley developed a Pulmonary Embolus during the night...........she died in my arms while I was waiting for the doctors to arrive. What more can I say. :|
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 pm

My 2cents worth:

Alcohol thins the blood, and for exercise there is the Walking up and down the isles cause the beer makes you need the loo a lot :dance:

Bush hugger

Unread postby Bush hugger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 am

I remember when working with British Airways seat allocation team we used to allocate aisle seats for DVT patients closer to the toilets.
Longhaul travellers must request for aisle seats closer to the toilets for comfort and avoid long queues for toilets and exits.

judik

Unread postby judik » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:18 am

Wow,Val that is a sad story :cry:
Stark- did you end up needing an IVC filter?

The only thing i might add as a medical professional is the importance of keeping well hydrated.and not with booze :shock: I always have my own water bottle and I keep it filled up and in my seat back so that I can drink when I want and not have to wait for the flight attendants to come round
5/8 Satara
5/9 Skukuza
5/10 Biyamiti
5/11 Biyamiti
5/12 Lower Sabie
5/13 Biyamiti
5/18-5/21 Mpila Camp

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”