Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chosing guides in game drives
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The best thing though is to get the guide animated.... So ask questions, and when you hear the answers be appriciative.
Even the shy guides have enough knowledge and anecdotes, just get them going. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Couldn't agree more with DuQues-- if you want an awesome guide, then just be an awesome guest :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 pm 

As it happens when I booked a morning drive - won't say where - I asked for a guide by name and was told it could be arranged, and it was. Now it might have been great salesmanship by the front desk manager and the guide was scheduled already but if you don't ask you never will know.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well I have asked for spesific guides and were almost accomodated everytime.

IMHO I think one must think at the guide before choosing to go on a night/morning drive. Personally it makes the drive for me. If you get a guide that shares very little interesting stuff, knowledge, ect and speeds from one sighting to another and then back to camp, I may get aggresive!! :twisted: :lol:

I for example had a BAD experience at Skukuza and Satara on nightdrives and swore I'd never do a drive from any of those 2 camps in my life....but after hearing Irving Knight who was the Head Guide at Lower Sabie started at Satara today...I might reconsider...

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject: Re: Morning at Evening game drives Satara,Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Foxy.
After a little digging I found the page but had to google to find:( http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... drives.php

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Morning at Evening game drives Satara,Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am 

As Foxy has said you can book them directly with the camp you are staying in at the time when you check in at reception
Unless its a very busy time you can generally get in.

Also have a read Here

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can someone please tell me if they use the small trucks or only the big trucks for drives out of Shingwedzi.

Also how many people have to book for a morning walk to make it viable.

Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 pm 

Im answering this for the sake of answering, when we were in Shing they used a Bakkie type Gameviewer and not a truck game viewer.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Hi Ernani,

You have a lot of questions I hope these answers will help you....have fun Booking and enjoy the trip.

Which of these will offer the better sunset & sunrise drives this time of year to your opinion?

You are staying in Lower Sabie this is one of the best camps for Game Drives

What times are the sunrise/sunset drives start and how long?

Sunset drives

This activity leaves before the sun sets and gets back once the sky is dark. Experienced guides drive the groups. Inquire at the reservations offices or at the camp you are staying in, about going on this drive.

Night Drives

Take part in the nocturnal activities of Kruger's secretive creatures. Experienced guides drive the groups. Inquire at the reservations offices or at the camp you are staying in, about going on this drive. The sunset drive departs at 17:00 and lasts at least 3 hours.

Morning drives

Leave at around 04.30 in summer and 05.30 in winter. Clients are to confirm with Reception the previous night when they book in to their accommodation. As per day walks, accommodation must be booked for the previous night at the camp, as walks/drives leave before the gates open officially. The drive’s duration is 3-4 hours.

Can children age 9 join without their parents, please?

Note that children under the age of 6 are not permitted to take part in these activities for their own safety, so I think that when they are 9 years old it wouldn't be a problem....but I would ask first before making a reservation(I wouldn't let my childeren go on a Game Drive without the parents...but that's my opinion).

Take a look at this part of the SANParks Website: Kruger Game Drives, all the info I posted is from this section. :wink:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Post subject: Orpen Gate night drives
Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm 

Does anyone know when you are staying at Tamboti and Maroela do you pay the game drive rates for Orpen rest camp or Orpen Gate?

Post subject: Re: Orpen Gate night drives
Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I paid the camp rates. One is picked up by a vehicle from Orpen camp I think.

Post subject: Best camp to book evening gamedrive...?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm 

Hi,

Being relatively new I tried to find answers to the following questions in the existing posts, but couldn't. If this is due to my lack of experience with the search engine: sorry...! If I'm posting on the wrong location: likewise... :-)

We want to do an evening game drive with a Kruger ranger from one of the camps that we will be visiting between the 21st of June and the 4th of July. These are the camps we have booked: Letaba, Shingwedzi, Punda Maria, Satara, Skukuza, Pretoriuskop and Malelane. Which camp would be your favorite to book an evening game drive from?

The second half of our stay in Kruger coincides with SA school holidays (which made it quite a task to get things booked, but it worked out fine in the end). I can't find how to book a gamedrive in advance online. Can this only be done through email/telephone? Would you advise booking in advance? Don't want to miss out and considering that the accomodations are all fully booked...

Been to SA and Kruger several times, never spotted a leopard. So an area that has the best chances to spot one (or other big cats) would be very good to know. I was thinking Satara/Letaba/Skukuza myself... is this right?

Hope to hear from the experts soon,
Thanx
Sander

Post subject: Re: Best camp to book evening gamedrive...?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm 

Hi Sander,

I've done drives from Punda Maria, Shingwedzi and Satara and would recommend them. Thomas at Punda Maria is very good and will stop to explain all about the trees as well as the animals. Not sure you'll see a leopard though, Satara will probably be best.

However it really does depend on right place right time for how good the drives are.

To book in advance it's best to email reservations@sanparks.org with your Reservation Number and ask them to add it to your booking. Then reconfirm when you check in at the camp - just so you get your indemnity form and the time and place of departure. Make sure they write the time on your form, I've had arguments with guides before now when reception has told me the wrong time!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sander, I have done game drives at all the camps you are visiting. In my opinion, I will say you will have the biggest variety of aminal and bird species at Satara. I have done many drives there before and we had wonderful sightings.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm 

Hallo Sander

I have been on a drive from Satara and it wasn’t a disappointment. Even though I got the feeling the guide was just looking for lions it still was very entertaining. Also Satara is prime cat countries so I personally would chose this camp and hope to see some cats in action.

Considering you would love to see a leopard I would recommend to go on your evening drive in the best leopard territory. Myself have seen the most leopards in the Skukuza/Lower Sabie area, so if I would be looking for leopards I would chose the evening drive at Skukuza. Saying that the Satara and Pretoriuskop areas are also good leopard country and I have been told Berg en Dal as well. Anyway your best chance to see the spotted one is probably in the south.

Have a great trip.

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next