Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
you are right tent dweller... but there is so many other animals to be cautious inside the camp, who don't need an open gate :wink:
always, always be caution in a wild camp... and more without ranger :thumbs_up:
I love to Tamboti... because of all that :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Anne Marie and Cheetah :D

Me too ... love that camp because of the wildness - one really feels small in comparison with the WILD. An ellie feeding 3 metres from where I sat at tent 40, looking in my eyes and I could sense that he/she was approving of me :doh: ... sitting very :big_eyes: still for about 30 minutes ... Tamboti is very special :thumbs_up: But I agree, not for small children.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 pm 

We stayed at Tamboti for the first time in July.
Stayed at #9, which is very close to the communal kitchen and bathrooms.

Upon arrival, when my wife spotted the dense vegetation inside the camp, she wanted us to pack up and look for alternative accommodation. :doh:
She couldn't believe how "recklessly irresponsible" I was to book our young family into such a wild place.
Later that evening, after experiencing the camp's mood a little bit more, she got to unwind and welcomed the break from busy camps.

We had a huge ellie along the fence on most nights. Whooping hyenas too. :thumbs_up:

We ended loving the wilderness experience.
What a great lovely quiet corner of the Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Tam is a bit different from 'traditional' Kruger camps and not for everyone.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
It is one of my all-time favourite camps, and I'd change it for very little - maybe a plunge over the Angel Falls in Venezuela? :hmz: - although doubtless to return to magnificent Tamboti over and over. We don't realise what a wonderful era we live in, to be able to visit areas that are a window on how the wild past always was!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:12 pm 

Well thanks everyone, for the answers to my question if a leopard has ever been spotted inside the camp. I am afraid we just love Tamboti too much to stay away because of dangerous wild animals in the camp.Our six year old daughter is very well behaved and cautious and we would never allow her to walk around on her own anyway, nor would she want to. So in three weeks we will be back in Tamboti, this time with our 16 year old German exchange student in tow, hoping to see as much as possible inside and outside the camp before he returns home at the end of September.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm 

So jealous of all the mites heading to Tamboti!! :mrgreen: It's one of my favourite camps as well!! Stayed in tent nr 24 in June and had a fantastic time! On the first night there we had a visit from the honey badger (just popping from the bushes 2m from us!), the beautiful little genet and a first time sighting of the african civet!! And all 3 of these passing by us within a radius of 2-3m! :big_eyes: Very exciting and a little scary as well!

No feeding from our side but I guess others have fed them that they come so close and are rather unafraid of humans. But a very special night right next to our braai indeed! Hope you all have an awesome time there!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm 

We have just returned from Kruger and stayed at Tamboti for four nights in No 10 tent which is close to the bathrooms and kitchen and is highly recommended. But BABOONS WATCH OUT YOUR FOOD IS NOT SAFE IN THE TENT. The tent No 9 and 12 were raided every day and the people lost all their food and even the fridges wer cleaned out. When you book in you will be given a pamphlet on detering the baboon problem, follow it. On the veranda there is a lockup cage you can store your food in, one thing take a few 30 or 40 mm locks with you to lock this for your food to be 99% safe. Close all the tent flaps so the baboons can`t see in and if you are still worried keep your food in the car. I observed the baboons know when the camp is least bussy and that in the morning between when most people have left for their drive and before the cleaning staff arrive for duty, and then in the late afternoon before you get back before gate closing time.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone.

I am going to be spending a night in Tambots on the 21st, and therefore would like to know where exactly is the camp situated, and how far is it from Orpen.

I am planning to enter from Phalaborwa, hence I would also like to know, what happens if I reach Orpen at 17:30 which is gate closing time in June, because in order to sleep in Tambots, we have to check in at Orpen, so will we be allowed to go to Tambots after checking in at Orpen at 17:30 or will we just have to reach Orpen around 16:00 which means check in is completed, and instead of having a slow Drive from Satara, we could possibly drive at 50, and than drive the routes around Orpen slowly after check in.

Any advice will be Awesome.

Another question, What are the kind of sightings that people have encountered in the Timbavati river bed over the past during their stay at Tambots. It is all about right place at right time, but it will be awesome to know, what we can expect to see from camp.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Heading towards Satara, the turn off to Tam is withing sight of Orpen camp, about 500 metres down the H7, to the left. After about a km the road splits. To the left is Maroela and to the right is Tamboti about 1 km further.

Check in at Orpen at least 20 minutes before gate closing. THere are no routes around Orpen, only the Tam access road.

Hyenas patrol the fence at night, and lion & leopard have been seen ithe river bed, plus eles in the area.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB, You're a LEGEND.

Thanks for all the advice,

I will do exactly that, and with soo many fantastic sightings around Tambots, I would like to ask you another question. Is it possible to park cars in between the Tent's, and because I do not have the best use of words, I have decided to put a pic, and my main reason for asking this, is because I would like to know if I can use the Headlights on the car to see if something is walking around in the riverbed such as Lions.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Kallis, there are designated parking bays for each tent, and vehicles are not allowed to park in non-designated areas. There is a foot path that leads from the parking bay to the actual tent, but no vehicles are allowed to drive here. (In any case, I have serious doubts that they could fit there.) One is also not allowed to disturb other visitors and also to unduly stress the game. Therefore, even if I could, I would not use my headlights to spot game in the riverbed; rather use a good torch that concentrates the light so that the beam is strong and well-directed. Remember not to blind the game; rather shine at their feet or just in front of them.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Correct me if I'm wrong here.. The Timbavati is dry in winter by Tamboti, yet somehow when I drove the S39 Timbavati river road last August there was loads of water along this stretch? The river was also flowing and wasn't just stagnant pools. How can this be - perhaps I am missing something obvious?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
There are trees near the fence k1786 and the bank 'drops'. Your headlights would either be shining into the trees or the air above the river bed.
OWN's advice is good. There is a rough path that goes along the fence, but you might disturb others whose tent is nearby.
No idea Graham, unless there had been very localised rain.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Water can still flow under the sand. Gets caught in pools by rockc etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next