Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Travelling with open roof or softtop in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK, let’s forget for a couple of minutes that the Porsche Targa is very low and not the ideal vehicle for Kruger.

My question: is it permissible to take down the roof while driving (e.g. during the mid-day heat between Skukuza and Olifants)? How does it differ from opening a sunroof?

(please note: I do not ask about this possibility at a sighting, … a No- No)

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Post subject: Re: Travelling Topless in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am 

Dupacc, as far as I know but I am pretty sure Kruger rules state that no vehicles without a roof are allowed.
If you had to come across a predator suddenly there would surely not be enough time to put the roof back up.
And most sunroofs do not open that wide.
In any case I think its far better to have the roof up in the midday heat, to have the hot sun blazing down on your head is not ideal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:53 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Throwing the roof into the back is not allowed.

And as Elsa says, not quite comfortable anyway.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I thought that even open sunroofs were not allowed in Kruger, but I am perhaps wrong there!! :redface:

No roof at all though is another matter...........definitely not allowed. :rtm:
As Elsa says, it would be far too dangerous..........even the safari vehicles have to have a roof!! :shock:

I'm sure that SANparks will reply here, with the actual rules regarding sun roofs and no roofs!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
And as Elsa says, not quite comfortable anyway

Well, this is debatable, isn't it? :roll: :roll:

Without getting technical, perhaps I should point out that a Targa is not the same as a Convertible /Cabriolet that typically have canvass roofs that fold away completely. A Targa has a solid, removable metal section that is bigger than the normal section opening in a typical sunroof. The rear window and pillars stays up, as well as the side windows :hmz: :hmz:

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
.........but with respect Dupacc, if that was permitted, you would still have no roof................anything could drop down into the vehicle, while you were parked under a tree, or launch itself at you from the side :big_eyes:

Then the headlines would read "tourists injured/killed in Kruger Park" and SANparks would have many questions to answer. :thumbs_up:

These things are probably very unlikely to happen, but they are possible. The rules are there for our safety. :thumbs_up:

BTW I googled Targa, so have seen the pictures. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
I have witnessed an open top car in the Park before, could not believe my eyes, a sanparks vehicle stopped them, gave them a good lecture, they put the roof down and went on their way. From that I would say its illegal and also idiotic.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm 

A nice expensive vehicle like that should come with with a very efficient aircon system so, toe the line with rules, keep the roof up, chill out and enjoy the sightings.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Crested Val wrote:
cheetah2111 wrote:
As Elsa says, it would be far too dangerous..........even the safari vehicles have to have a roof!!
Oh, come on! It would not be dangerous at all. Safari vehicles in the KNP have a roof only because SANParks says so, just about everywhere else they don't. Perfectly safe, I can confirm from decades of extensive exeperience. Besides, I don't have a roof when walking in the bush either, and I'm still alive.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hmmmmm- :hmz: I wonder if this guy would agree with you :hmz:

Newspaper report last year

Lion Park 'attack' - man's window open
2011-11-19 12:30

Ügen Vos, Beeld
Johannesburg - The man who shoved his arm into a lioness's mouth at the Lion Park near Johannesburg to keep her out of his car, admitted on Friday that his window had been open, despite warnings.

Ranesh Rajkaran, 28, only suffered scratch marks.

He and his wife, Somashnie, who is pregnant, had been celebrating their second wedding anniversary at the park.

Rajkaran said he had opened the windows a little while they were driving in Friday's sweltering heat, little expecting that a lioness would suddenly shove her paw through the gap and dig her claws into the seat.

“I think she must have smelled the food in the car or maybe she just wanted to play,” said Rajkaran.

When he tried to push her paw out, the lioness simply forced the window open, which was when his wife, who is five months pregnant, “got very panicky”.

Rajkaran tried unsuccessfully to push the lioness back with both arms. When she shoved her head in, he shoved his right arm into her mouth.

Meanwhile, he could see two other lionesses and a male walking toward his car, curious to see what was happening.

Rajkaran finally forced the lioness out of the car. After he had his scratches seen to at hospital he returned to the park to have tea with the staff.

He said he will definitely return to visit the park again.

“It was a scary but also wonderful experience. The people at the park were wonderful ... it was definitely something you only experience once in a lifetime.”

Lion Park spokesperson Earl Smith said signs clearly state that all windows have to be fully closed.

- Beeld

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

And another one -- Interesting :hmz:

Game ranger saved from lion's jaw
2011-11-02 10:36

André Botha, Volksblad
Upington - A game ranger’s life was heroically saved on Tuesday when an aggressive lion attacked him on the back of a bakkie in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Albert Bojone was literally pulled from the lion’s jaws when Graeme Ellis, a biotechnician and researcher in the park, jumped out of the bakkie’s cabin and dragged him inside.

Bojone’s boot, which was grabbed by the lion, remained between the lion’s teeth when Ellis pulled him free. The lion was shot dead with the boot in his jaws.

The lion had first bitten his arm and when he let go, Bojone jumped onto the bakkie cabin’s roof with the lion jumping up after him.

Other lions shot

The lion attack came after four lions were shot dead over the weekend for killing cattle.

Henriëtte Engelbrecht, marketing and communication manager of the South African National Parks (SANParks) arid parks in the Northern Cape, said Bojone, Ellis and Mico Ferreira, senior game ranger, were looking for the three remaining lions in the pride on the Botswana side of the park close to the border with South Africa.

Bojone sat on the back of the bakkie and the other two were in the cabin. They followed the two lions and then drove behind the one on the right.

The next moment the other lion rushed at the bakkie and jumped on the back.

“The bakkie fortunately had railings, which held the lion back. He got hold of Bojone’s arm. When he let go for a moment, Bojone jumped on the cabin roof.”

The lion jumped onto the back and grabbed Bojone’s foot. Ellis then got out of the cabin and pulled Bojone in.

Both his boots were left behind, one between the lion’s teeth. This boot had four holes where the lion had bitten it.

Bojone was rushed to the Mediclinic in Upington where he was still in the ICU on Tuesday.

Engelbrecht said the lions, known among rangers as “bush lions” usually frequented areas where there were no people.

No previous lion attacks

The lion that attacked Bojone was possibly furious about his mate that had been shot dead.

When the lions moved out of their area, game rangers were sent to catch them. They were then brought back to Kgalagadi, where they were kept for 14 days in a boma. They were then released about 200km from where they were found.

She said Nardus du Plessis, the park’s former senior game ranger, on Tuesday confirmed to her that no lion had attacked a human being in the 15 years that he had been in the park.

Bojone had been working in the park for 22 years.

He also said something like this had never happened while he was working at the park.

Engelbrecht said lions had rushed at vehicles before. A blanket was then usually thrown over them when they got close to the vehicle. They then fought the blanket and usually gave up.

On Tuesday, however, the lion simply pushed through the blanket to get to Bojone.

“He must have been furious.”

- Volksblad

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Regardless of whether safari operators have roofs at other places or not, it is irrelevant to this discussion here. The other places do not have a visitor count of over a million per annum, nor do they have the infrastructure and almost 2million hectares of land.

And yes you do notnhsve a roof when walking, but you have the reassurance of either a guide with a .357/.458 with a backup. Or you are the guide carrying the weapon, giving you something extra to hide behind...

The fact here stands : it is against the rules to this drive a car, regardless of it's make, without a roof. Plain and simple...
Don't like it?? Stay out ofthe park....

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do not doubt what you say Johan.

But misbehavior is already a massive problem in Kruger. Having us tourists rock up in topless cars can only allow for more dangerous misbehavior.

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:11 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
If someone cannot handle the confinement of a car, they should book walking trails.

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:41 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We can debate this as much as we like guys, but if Kruger says we can't..................unless they change the rules, we can't!!! :thumbs_up:

If we don't like Kruger's rules, we don't have to visit do we? :whistle: