Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
SusieB

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread postby SusieB » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:28 am

GregW wrote:Hi

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with;

1. Are there individual braai facilities at each of the 2 and 4 bed tents (the budget ones)?
2. There are 2 of us staying, is there any advantage in getting a 4 bed over a 2 bed tent (more space etc)?

Thanks

1. Yes every tent has an individual braai.
2. We have ended up with a 4 bed tent for 2 of us a couple of times and the extra space is useful as they are very spacious. However the 2 bed are fine too.

Have a great trip!

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 am

There have been leopards in Tambotie in the recent past but I haven't heard any reports of them recently.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am

Leopards would not be top of my list for potential danger. Black Mamba would be much higher.

I would hesitate to take very young children unless I could supervise very carefuly. I think there are better equiped camps for young kids. I know that I would have been in my element playing, "Explorer/Explorer", but I would certainly not be in my element with my childen doing the same.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

I agree MM - I adore Tamboti, but it is not a camp for young children to play around. Because of the bushes in camp one never know - we once encountered a snake, falling from the roof of our tent :big_eyes: Fortunately it was a harmless bushsnake (bosslang). Vistis to the bathroom at night could also be a problem with young children. Keep this wonderful camp on the wishlist for when they gets older :thumbs_up:

Leana

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 am

anabel1 wrote:The main problem in Tamboti is the baboons raiding the tents every morning about 7am looking for food. My granddaughter came face to face with them and was traumatised . Could have been a nasty incident. Perhaps they have moved on since the floods.

Baboons and monkeys still at Tamboti, raided and trashed our neighbours tent twice in July 2012, do not leave ANY food in tents and make sure all the windows are zipped closed when leaving in the mornings.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Cape of Storms
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cape of Storms » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 am

We love Tamboti and thourally enjoy staying here. We brought our girls with (6 and 8) and although they had lots of fun we had to supervise constantly. Fortunately they are very good and we promised that at Satara they could go exploring. It was amazing to stay here as always but parents need to be very aware. Even I had my heart pumping when the honey badgers came to visit. The kids were safely asleep in the tent so I rushed in to join them (ek is 'n BANGBROEK!!)

We loved our unit (number 37) but I believe the most sought after is 39 or 40. you are right in the corner and views both ways.

Have a great time and enjoy it.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Geckophobe wrote:I forgot to ask - has anyone recently (or ever)spotted a (real) leopard in Tamboti? After our recent stay there we met a couple with a young child who claimed that someone had seen a leopard in the camp and that they constantly had to watch their young child. Our six year old just loves walking to the bathroom with her torch and we had to make several trips there just for fun. I was just curious if this is a rumour or if there is s a real person out there who has seen a real leopard in the camp?

We were in Tamboti for 7 nights in July and booked an early morning drive, the guide picked us up at the abultion blocks at 5.30am and to our surprise we were the only people on the drive (3 of us), it was freezing,he opened the gates while we shone the lights in his path because he said he was scared of the leopard that sometimes lurks around the gates of Tamboti, he got into the truck and pulled off, my husband picked up some eyes with the spotlight and it was the Leopard!!!!!, not more than 25m from the gate of Tamboti.

While I was washing dishes one afternoon at approx. 4.30pm there was a lot of commotion between a few guests and later I asked what was happening and one of them told me that the leopard had just been "chased" out of the camp. I am not sure who chased the leopard out or if somebody was just making up a story.

We enjoyed Tamboti and felt safe walking to the bathrooms but you definately need a torch because in July (maybe because it is winter) it was really very, very dark.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 am

Anne Marie and Cheetah :D

Me too ... love that camp because of the wildness - one really feels small in comparison with the WILD. An ellie feeding 3 metres from where I sat at tent 40, looking in my eyes and I could sense that he/she was approving of me :doh: ... sitting very :big_eyes: still for about 30 minutes ... Tamboti is very special :thumbs_up: But I agree, not for small children.

Mandinga

Unread postby Mandinga » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 pm

We stayed at Tamboti for the first time in July.
Stayed at #9, which is very close to the communal kitchen and bathrooms.

Upon arrival, when my wife spotted the dense vegetation inside the camp, she wanted us to pack up and look for alternative accommodation. :doh:
She couldn't believe how "recklessly irresponsible" I was to book our young family into such a wild place.
Later that evening, after experiencing the camp's mood a little bit more, she got to unwind and welcomed the break from busy camps.

We had a huge ellie along the fence on most nights. Whooping hyenas too. :thumbs_up:

We ended loving the wilderness experience.
What a great lovely quiet corner of the Kruger.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Tam is a bit different from 'traditional' Kruger camps and not for everyone.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

bushbuck87

Unread postby bushbuck87 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

We have just returned from Kruger and stayed at Tamboti for four nights in No 10 tent which is close to the bathrooms and kitchen and is highly recommended. But BABOONS WATCH OUT YOUR FOOD IS NOT SAFE IN THE TENT. The tent No 9 and 12 were raided every day and the people lost all their food and even the fridges wer cleaned out. When you book in you will be given a pamphlet on detering the baboon problem, follow it. On the veranda there is a lockup cage you can store your food in, one thing take a few 30 or 40 mm locks with you to lock this for your food to be 99% safe. Close all the tent flaps so the baboons can`t see in and if you are still worried keep your food in the car. I observed the baboons know when the camp is least bussy and that in the morning between when most people have left for their drive and before the cleaning staff arrive for duty, and then in the late afternoon before you get back before gate closing time.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Heading towards Satara, the turn off to Tam is withing sight of Orpen camp, about 500 metres down the H7, to the left. After about a km the road splits. To the left is Maroela and to the right is Tamboti about 1 km further.

Check in at Orpen at least 20 minutes before gate closing. THere are no routes around Orpen, only the Tam access road.

Hyenas patrol the fence at night, and lion & leopard have been seen ithe river bed, plus eles in the area.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

BB, You're a LEGEND.

Thanks for all the advice,

I will do exactly that, and with soo many fantastic sightings around Tambots, I would like to ask you another question. Is it possible to park cars in between the Tent's, and because I do not have the best use of words, I have decided to put a pic, and my main reason for asking this, is because I would like to know if I can use the Headlights on the car to see if something is walking around in the riverbed such as Lions.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 am

Kallis, there are designated parking bays for each tent, and vehicles are not allowed to park in non-designated areas. There is a foot path that leads from the parking bay to the actual tent, but no vehicles are allowed to drive here. (In any case, I have serious doubts that they could fit there.) One is also not allowed to disturb other visitors and also to unduly stress the game. Therefore, even if I could, I would not use my headlights to spot game in the riverbed; rather use a good torch that concentrates the light so that the beam is strong and well-directed. Remember not to blind the game; rather shine at their feet or just in front of them.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue May 14, 2013 5:31 am

I tend to agree with Cheetah. The Rabalais route has always served me well.

I also like to pop into the hut to say "hello" and "thank you" to the Orpens.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”