Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back from our trip, and Tamboti was a great camp. Cold (it was that time of year), but very secluded. We had various animals out along the perimiter, lions lounging on the private road heading to camp, a family of jackals doing the same the next morning, and various small wildlife in camp. Honey badgers and monkeys are problems, but ones you can plan for.

The only issue I had was the limited view in front of our tent. (I'll have to recall the #) The bush in front was HUGE, with a scattering of litter in it thanks to either the honey badgers or previous guests. You really couldn't see a thing. I know the common thinking is to not trim these back, but I think SANParks should. If I'm paying the same price as one of the tents with a premium view, then a like experience should be expected. Afterall, I saw crews cutting back shrubs from the side of the roads.

Wildlife sightings were great on the tar road as well, including wild dog. :dance: We'll be back, but hopefully at a warmer time of year and in a better situated tent. Great camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lions lounging on the private road!! :mrgreen:
An extremely cold camp in winter :shock: I slept with long sleeve warm clothes on last June in Tambots!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:28 am 

GregW wrote:
Hi

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with;

1. Are there individual braai facilities at each of the 2 and 4 bed tents (the budget ones)?
2. There are 2 of us staying, is there any advantage in getting a 4 bed over a 2 bed tent (more space etc)?

Thanks

1. Yes every tent has an individual braai.
2. We have ended up with a 4 bed tent for 2 of us a couple of times and the extra space is useful as they are very spacious. However the 2 bed are fine too.

Have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Schotia

I don't know about nr 2, but 21 and 22 used to have excellent views and are near the kitchen and ablutions :thumbs_up:

ENJOY this wonderful camp

Leana

Kruger: May 2013

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
I have stayed in Nr 2 and it was extremely pleasant. It was a long walk to the bathroom though.

Along a road in dense bush where anything could be lurking......... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 am 

Hi Schotia

Just sharing some feedback as we have recently returned from Tamboti (1st visit) and stayed in tent 21. We requested the tent through the very efficient Tinyiko Mtsetwene at Orpen who came back to us within an hour (tinyiko.mtsetwene@sanparks.org- his email address is also mentioned elsewhere on this thread). He came back to me within an hour. Wonderful camp and tent 21 has a great view, and is just a nice short walk in the bush from the bathrooms and kitchen. 22 also had a good view but was closer to the ablutions. The highlight of our stay was the game viewing from inside the camp. We were surprised by frequent visits from the resident honey badger and two genets spent hours with us on two occasions (and no, we were not feeding them). The bathrooms were sparkling clean, despite the fact that a number of teenage girls seemed to be spending most of their time there :). On the negative side, there were no extra blankets and it got very cold as it was mid-winter. Fortunately we came prepared with some extra blankets following advice on the forum. Unfortunately we also has some unwelcome visitors in the form of monkeys who managed to grab a few things from the top of our fridge through the torn front window of our tent - amongst which a precious bag of biltong. We reported the window and it has hopefully been repaired by now. Looking forward to our next visit to Tamboti in September.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 am 

I forgot to ask - has anyone recently (or ever)spotted a (real) leopard in Tamboti? After our recent stay there we met a couple with a young child who claimed that someone had seen a leopard in the camp and that they constantly had to watch their young child. Our six year old just loves walking to the bathroom with her torch and we had to make several trips there just for fun. I was just curious if this is a rumour or if there is s a real person out there who has seen a real leopard in the camp?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 am 

There have been leopards in Tambotie in the recent past but I haven't heard any reports of them recently.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Leopards would not be top of my list for potential danger. Black Mamba would be much higher.

I would hesitate to take very young children unless I could supervise very carefuly. I think there are better equiped camps for young kids. I know that I would have been in my element playing, "Explorer/Explorer", but I would certainly not be in my element with my childen doing the same.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree MM - I adore Tamboti, but it is not a camp for young children to play around. Because of the bushes in camp one never know - we once encountered a snake, falling from the roof of our tent :big_eyes: Fortunately it was a harmless bushsnake (bosslang). Vistis to the bathroom at night could also be a problem with young children. Keep this wonderful camp on the wishlist for when they gets older :thumbs_up:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
anabel1 wrote:
The main problem in Tamboti is the baboons raiding the tents every morning about 7am looking for food. My granddaughter came face to face with them and was traumatised . Could have been a nasty incident. Perhaps they have moved on since the floods.

Baboons and monkeys still at Tamboti, raided and trashed our neighbours tent twice in July 2012, do not leave ANY food in tents and make sure all the windows are zipped closed when leaving in the mornings.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We love Tamboti and thourally enjoy staying here. We brought our girls with (6 and 8) and although they had lots of fun we had to supervise constantly. Fortunately they are very good and we promised that at Satara they could go exploring. It was amazing to stay here as always but parents need to be very aware. Even I had my heart pumping when the honey badgers came to visit. The kids were safely asleep in the tent so I rushed in to join them (ek is 'n BANGBROEK!!)

We loved our unit (number 37) but I believe the most sought after is 39 or 40. you are right in the corner and views both ways.

Have a great time and enjoy it.

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
About a year ago, a leopard was shot in Tam.

The bush is thick and the human footprint small, that I why I love the camp.

But there is plenty of natural bush for anything - like honey badgers - to hide and come out when it is quiet.

I have only seen an AWC, and scops owl peering down at me as I walked to the loo.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Geckophobe wrote:
I forgot to ask - has anyone recently (or ever)spotted a (real) leopard in Tamboti? After our recent stay there we met a couple with a young child who claimed that someone had seen a leopard in the camp and that they constantly had to watch their young child. Our six year old just loves walking to the bathroom with her torch and we had to make several trips there just for fun. I was just curious if this is a rumour or if there is s a real person out there who has seen a real leopard in the camp?

We were in Tamboti for 7 nights in July and booked an early morning drive, the guide picked us up at the abultion blocks at 5.30am and to our surprise we were the only people on the drive (3 of us), it was freezing,he opened the gates while we shone the lights in his path because he said he was scared of the leopard that sometimes lurks around the gates of Tamboti, he got into the truck and pulled off, my husband picked up some eyes with the spotlight and it was the Leopard!!!!!, not more than 25m from the gate of Tamboti.

While I was washing dishes one afternoon at approx. 4.30pm there was a lot of commotion between a few guests and later I asked what was happening and one of them told me that the leopard had just been "chased" out of the camp. I am not sure who chased the leopard out or if somebody was just making up a story.

We enjoyed Tamboti and felt safe walking to the bathrooms but you definately need a torch because in July (maybe because it is winter) it was really very, very dark.

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
cheetah2111 wrote:
If possible, I would prefer if people do not report a leopard being seen inside Tamboti camp ... we know that they have been shot for visiting there.
If you are so lucky, just enjoy :whistle:

I would prefer to tell people if I saw a leopard in Tamboti so everyone can be cautious and informed..............

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next