Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which wilderness trail?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shade is dependent on the foliage & thus the season and the rainfall .
Sweni is the flattest , but generally has the most animals .
Napi will be the coolest as the safari tents have a double roof .

Best book in winter .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Sweni or Nyalaland trail.
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree cathyb that Nyalaland offers that old world isolated atmosphere.
One tends not to expect big 5 sightings , one can concentrate on the scenery , archaeology and all the facets that make a more relaxed wilderness experience.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Sweni or Nyalaland trail.
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you go on the Nyalaland trail, request that you go to Lanner Gorge, the birthplace of the KNP trails, it is here where Mike English sold the concept to Dr. Rocco Knobel the then Exec. Director of the National Parks Board.

Lanner Gorge is by far the most beautiful of all of the KNP.

Nyalaland has retained the mystery of the far far north.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Backpacker Trail...but which one???
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:56 pm 

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and this will be my first trip to South Africa. Therefore I would be glad to get some advice from you.
I will travel with a friend of mine through South Africa in August and we will also stay 10 days at KNP.
We would like to to one 3-4 days Backpacker Trail with camping in the bushes and all this stuff.
I have seen the Olifants Backpaper Trail but unfortunately it is just the two of us and I believe that you need to be a group of 8 to book this trail. Is this correct?
If yes, can you recommend an interesting backpacker trail within the KPN?

I would be very happy to hear from you! Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Max

Post subject: Re: Backpacker Trail...but which one???
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maxwell, a very warm welcome to you. :D

You will not be disappointed in the trails.

I think that its important to decide what is important. Birders often enjoy the Nyalaland trail in the north, the Bushman and Wolhuter trails offer good bush paintings.

The Olifants (not back packers), Sweni, Metsi-Metsi and Napi offer a good wilderness experience. These are southern and central areas.

The telephone number I have is 021-426 5000, but it might be out of date. I hope that someone can help you.

Post subject: Re: Wilderness Trails - General Advice
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm 

hi all

where can i find a list of the trails? thanks!

ww29

Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... hp#general

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I will select Metsi over Napi , in my opinion the Napi camp offers a "traditional closer to wilderness" atmosphere . Metsi area will on average offer more game encounters .

Metsi Metsi camp in 1988 shortly after it opened , the thatch had not yet turned grey ... there was only one shower & one toilet.Notice the water tank on the roof of the shower - for a hot shower you collected water from the wood fired geyser and climbed the ladder with bucket in one hand and added the hot water to the contents of the tank - as far as I remember you also had to make sure there was enough water in the tank before showering - there was no ball valve for automatic refilling.The good old days.

Probably 1989 .

Post subject: Wilderness trail - can one be contacted in an emergency?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm 

A couple in our group doing the Metsi Metsi trail will be leaving their baby with their parents. In case of an emergency, would there be any way to contact us?

Post subject: Re: Wilderness trail - can one be contacted in an emergency?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, they would be able to contact the group should there be a REAL emergency. As suggested ask the trail leader for a telephone number to be contacted.

They will probably give you the section ranger's number, which will be able to make contact in case of emergency.

I doubt whether regular contact will be possible, but should you ask them they will probably be able to inform you whether and where cellphone signal will be available.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: Bushman's vs Wolhuter?
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

Hi Graham,

if you have a read Wilderness Advice you will find lots of great advice and info. :D

and for more specific info

Bushman's Trail

and

Wolhuter Trail

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You could also go on one of these trails: http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/bush-camps
Quote:
Groups of maximum eight guests are taken on a four day, three night excursion in to the heart of the bush. During this time they explore the wonder of nature in the only true way ... on foot. The group is guided by two experienced guides, who look after the safety of the group, and reveal the richness and diversity which can be found in nature.

Much of the richness of the experience can be found in the small things which are seen, the sounds, feelings and the smells of the bush, and most of all the experience of being part of nature. Encounters with the bigger animals always adds a touch of wonder, and at times a bit of excitement.

That is with the Honorary Rangers.... And we have one of the organisers on board about daily, he used to be a moderator. (Click the link and you will see his photo.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Graham :D

I have done Bushman's and my daughters have done Wolhuters. They cover similar terrain, so they are similar in many respects. The highlight of the Bushmans trails a walk to the bushman's paintings, something quite unique. I think this can be done from the Wolhuters as well, but it is pretty much guarenteed on the Bushmans.

The highlight of my daughter's experience was walking into the middle of a wilddog hunt. The impala escaped by running through the walkers. The wilddog were so confused that they stopped dead and started barking at them.

My daughters said that the Dwarf Mongoose were the darlings of Wolhuters. Not sure if this is still the case. They had pretty much realised that there were lots of interesting things and moved in.

Our rarest sighting was Black Rhino. In actual fact, this is very much Rhino territory.

Both trails meet at Berg n Dal and leave in separate vehicles to their different destininations. I was the last to arrive :redface: :redface: :redface: I was stuck in a traffic jam that was caused by a Lion vs Ellie battle.

Boma where meals were served.

Waterhole at the fence.

the start of a walk

our little huts.

curious onlookers

MM arriving at the last minte

this was half her baggage ended up at Wolhuters :whistle: but that is another story.

One of the reasons why MM was late.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Graham - the two trails traverse a very similar adjacent area , with the Bushmans walking area being in a more hilly area .
The fee charged covers all food & accomodation for 3 nights - the only items not included are alcoholic beverages and any snacks which you must bring along with you . The links to the info posted above just about cover all important matters .
I would strongly recommend either of them .

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am tempted by both of them! Thanks for the link Saraf - I remember that documentary.

As we will be further north after the proposed Wilderness trail, what time do the trails finish on the final day?
I would need to work out how far to drive afterwards.
What are the chances of availability on one of the more central wilderness trails becoming available in a months time when people don't pay the deposits (for August 2013)?
I found that this happened with many units in terms of accommodation, but wondered whether people book speculatively in a similar way with regards the trails?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next