Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Course
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As a general rule, animals such as elephant, lion and leopard tend to keep out of Skukuza town (and golf course) by day. You will find the odd Impala and Warthog. By night ... well that is another matter entirely.

And again ... no fences ... no guarantees.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Skukuza Golf Club
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 pm 

Hi there,

I have booked a round of golf for my father at Skukuza golf course as a late birthday present during our trip to Kruger later in the year. I was just wondering if anyone had played there before and what they thought of it. It is his first time to Kruger (and South Africa) and is a golfaholic so thought he may enjoy playing a very different course to normal.
I have booked him a morning slot and he should finish playing around lunch time, is there anywhere at the club that we could grab a bite to eat either beforehand for breakfast or after for lunch?

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Club
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:25 pm 

KirstyL it is a fabulous golf course!!!! The stting is awesome and your dad will love every shot, good or bad! And yes, good food to be eaten there too. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm 

during our last trip in october, we met a couple from Cape Town, just got talking to them at a picnic spot :) they told us that you can just in for breakfast/lunch at the Golf club even if your not playing golf. Does anyone know if this is right? i don't actually play golf, but love the idea of stopping there for something to eat.
kind regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:21 pm 

It is a very nice golf course to play on and a different experience. Unfortunately it is very difficult to keep the course in pristine condition and the warthogs are making a meal of the fairways, as they are digging holes everywhere.

I always enjoy playing there and a few years ago even won the comp and longest drive, so it has good memories for me.

Please tell your dad not to expect the perfect manucured courses he is used to outside SA, but I can promise you he would not play on a similar course anywhere else in the world. The only courses I believe that could offer a similar unique experience is Rossing in Namibia, Sishen (Kathu) and Kigali in Rwanda.

One word of advise though. It gets incredibly hot during summer and depending on when you will be visiting, make sure he tees of as early as possible to escape the midday heat.

It is true molpol. We have had lunch there in the past although not playing. Unless it has changed recently.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Playing golf at Skukuza is a special one for me everytime I play there!

Some holes is challenging but its not about the score...its about the pleasure! And theres always something nice and special to see on the course...like the bunch of bandits that chase after your ball or run around with it, the impalas with the lambs in the december, the mother warthog who gives you a stare if you walk to close past her according to her.

No although its not one of the most beautifull course especially in winter time, meaning the fairways ect is brown grass ect it is one of the nicest to play and one I try to play on a visit.

recommend it to everyone!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MacandQ wrote:
I am very keen on the idea of a round of golf at Skukuza but does anybody know if golf buggies are available?

My wife is disabled and unable to walk the course with me and it would be great experience for us both if we could hire a buggy.

Thanks

Happy sightings all.

As far as I know, there are a few.... by few I mean 4 or something if I remember correctly...

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Phone to book one and phone again to confirm you have a cart!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
I got the scare of my life when playing the first hole. Nobody told me about the hippos, or perhaps it was my fault for not looking at the signposts. After teeing off, from the first tee, I landed on the left side of the fairway, close to the water. As I was about to play my second shot, a hippo started to snort/bellow a couple of metres from me. I hit a 'freshie' and lost the hole. But it is beautiful to play. As said by some above, the animal life on the course is something that you will find at very few other places. I will go so far as to say that the golf course is on par with lake panic as far as sightings are concerned.

:lol: That hippos got on my nerve as well when we played there on the Cricket@skukuza event 2011. It was on the first tee off, with my back to the hippos, which were keeping a rather too- close -for- comfort -eye on my not - so - perfect swing. Needless to say my drive werent as good as I hoped!! :redface:

A few holes later we found a mother warthog with her little ones feeding close to where my ball was, and as I approached my ball she made sure we understand her intentions regarding who is the boss and that I should stay away from her and her babies, and my ball! I did get to play my ball, but also with a rather stinky shot as she never took her eyes of me!!

But thats why I love that course!! Never a dull moment!

Post subject: Skukuza Golf Club Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm 

Can anyone please tell me if the Skukuza Golf Club offers restaurant facilities, for example, early morning breakfast? :popcorn:

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Golf Club Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm 

I think that you can get breakfast there but not sure how early or the hours?
Will try and find out unless someone else knows for sure and the details.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

You can get breakfast and lunch there. Not sure when it opens, but it closes around 1330 for orders. Open again in the evening, but too late for folk in the camp.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

ecojunkie wrote:
Have only eaten there a few times....food is good, and prices reasonable. Not a huge choice, but better quality food than in the camp.

Thanks EJ. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm 

I phoned the Golf Club (Tel: +27 (0)13 735 5543). A fully fledged breakfast (small. medium and large!) is served from 07:00 every day - the only exception being a sponsored golf day when facilities are only available to players. Lunches are also served. You do not have to play golf to enjoy a meal there. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
Hmmmm ... I never evey knew there was a restaurant at the golf club! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Will definitely give it a try for brunch when there in September!

:thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next