Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Which camera?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:21 pm 

Carole wrote:
Well, I guess it had to come didn't it. I got a Canon 400L prime lens this morning

:mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know this might not be the correct topic for my request but i'm desperate so please bear with me and don't laugh.

I have a sigma 170-500mm lens and want to have it service. The only place i can find is down in Cape Town far from Randfontein here in Gauteng can any body help me. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Please PM me

THANK YOU.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As far as i know, the company who bring sigma into the company is called tudor and there main offices are in cape town but distribution centre in in Kempton Park, you'll have to speak to them directly although you should be able to take it into your local camera store who stoke sigma and they should be able to send it in for you, may cost a little extra, and keep you informed on the progress.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:26 pm 

I am looking to buy a new compact camera with a build in zoom.What sort of zoom strenght should I look at for KNP?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm 

Hi Tiko,

You would need to look at a super zoom like a Panasonic FZ series. Why not look at getting an entry level DSLR with kit lenses. like the 1000D some specials come with the 18-55mm 55-250 and 50mm f1.8 for a good price, or a second hand 20D,30D,40D, with a 70-300 Canon lenses. . They are relatively cheap (considering image quality compared to the superzoom). You will soon find out the quality of images from the superzooms and not up to par with the DSLR with entry level lenses.

I started with a small superzoom and then moved to a 350d DSLR a few years later, and the difference in image quality is amazing!! not even worth compairing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I would certainly not recommend the 20 or 30D. They are "old" and you run a good chance that the shutter mechanism is nearing its lives end. Colourwise they are well below the later models as well.
That said, I used a 20D until 2 years ago...
The latest superzoom bridge cameras are very good, and will certainly get results that can compare to those of a 50D.

To answer the question, for Kruger you should look at a camera that will reach 400 mm (compared to fullframe cameras). That should give you enough zoom for almost anything. Mind you, I only talk about optical zoom, digital does not count. That you can do on your computer with way better results.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm 

DuQues wrote:
I would certainly not recommend the 20 or 30D. They are "old" and you run a good chance that the shutter mechanism is nearing its lives end. Colourwise they are well below the later models as well.
That said, I used a 20D until 2 years ago...
The latest superzoom bridge cameras are very good, and will certainly get results that can compare to those of a 50D.

Depends Duques, I bought my girlfriend a 20D last year, and she shoots more than me (3 out of 5 days a week) with a 20D which was used by a pro shooting weddings, and it has not missed a beat. For the amount of shutter useage it will have to endure from an amature (like Tiko) is small. the 40D is a better camera and for 1000-1500 more, I would expect most people to go for the 40D. I picked the 20D up for R1500.00, took it for a service at Cameratek-to which they said it does not need a service. the camera is well used, but well looked after by the previous owner.

I have the canon 40D and have no problems using the 20D as a second camera as it is so good. And the colour rendition from it is good, if not, lightroom can fix that no problem. I would rather buy a second hand old DSLR than a brand new superzoom, as the quality of images will be so much better, esp if you invest in L glass.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

brogan wrote:
I would rather buy a second hand old DSLR than a brand new superzoom, as the quality of images will be so much better, esp if you invest in L glass.

I think budget is a concern, so no L glass for Tiko.
And it also depends on how often the camera will be used outside the parks. I shot 750+ photos the last 4 days, but Tiko may put it into the cupboard for the next 6 months.

Bridge cameras have features that are missing in (older) DSLR's but may be wanted by Tiko too, like video.
This would be a great camera: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panaso ... dmc-fz200/

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:15 pm 

True Duques you are right.

I just figured everyone would end up like me, buying a DSLR after a few years. When, for a lot of people, a superzoom is more than good enough for their needs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 pm 

Help! My SO is wanting her own camera for her birthday. We presenty shoot with a 50D and an Alpha 100. She has a friend with a Canon G11 who is very happy. I believe the G1X is the upgrade of the G12. Has any 1 used these and if so what are your experiences / thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:21 pm 

All the G Cameras are GOOD - learn how to use it and you will be amazed at what you can do with it.

Have Fun

KC