Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 177 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I saw this possible tusker along the H14 on 22 April 2012, in the area of the turnoff to Shimuwini (I don't recall precisely where, but about 10 minutes before I crossed the Letaba low level bridge) and what was interesting was that he was with a breeding herd, altho he wasn't showing any 'interest' in the cows. Unfortunately I only saw his right side (and not even a great view of that :( )

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

I have been studying Aat's TUSKERSOFAFRICA website and looking at the various tuskers we have seen over time - especially the one's that have died lately.

When I looked at the page of Nwanedzi I noticed a deformed left rear ankle.

See photos 2, 4 & 6 and compare to right ankle on photo 5.

Could this have contributed to his death ?

I don't know the cause of his death but in a bull fight he would have been at a disadvantage.

If he was laying down ( fallen ) this might have prevented him getting up ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Seen this evening on the Webcam at Orpen Waterhole...maybe a Tusker?

It's a collard Elephant....does someone know it's name?

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

On Aat's TUSKERSOFAFRICA there is just one STE elephant of the Satara - Tsokwane and that is Mellow.

The above tusker seem to have bigger tusks and must be another STE collard tusker - Aat, do you have info of additional STE collard elephant ?

Gerrie.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
100ponder wrote:
Hi,

On Aat's TUSKERSOFAFRICA there is just one STE elephant of the Satara - Tsokwane and that is Mellow.

The above tusker seem to have bigger tusks and must be another STE collard tusker - Aat, do you have info of additional STE collard elephant ?

Gerrie.

Hi Gerrie,

I think it is a different tusker...we have seen Mellow in July last year at the Ngwenyeni Waterhole.
The photo of Mellow on the Tuskers of Africa site is mine.... :D

Or the Tusks must have grown longer in the past year...I don't know how fast the Tusks grow?

So maybe it is Mellow 8)

Still wondering which "Tusker" this could be..... :whistle:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have not been on the forum for long time, any bodt got news on what is heppeing with Duke's tusks.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:03 pm 

Hi All,

Seen some entries here with questions about "who is this bull". I just found some time to update my tusker site again by entries from Arks , Madeleen v Schalkwyk and M Cronje.

I could make updates for Ngodzi, Masasana, Mashikiri and Nshawani.

Got several entries to ID so work to do....
Been busy with following the Olympics and my job so sorry for some delay with replying...

With all these ID's I wonder how many beers and kudu's are to be payed by you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like to say thanks to all for so many entries of tuskers and possible / promising tuskers !!

For the collared one, I will have a look at the documents I have from STE trying to ID the one posted above.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
With all these ID's I wonder how many beers and kudu's are to be payed by you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Aat , last time in Shing , we only drank beer , and never got around to drinking the wine you know :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

During our tusker hunting safari to Shingwedzi early June 2012 we found ourselves at an elephant roadblock at the southern most end of the S56, some 10 km from the camp gate with only minutes to go before gate closure.

We were in high spirits having just left the sighting of a lifetime, and now we were blocked by a breeding herd of elephant. To make things worse the whole herd seemed "on edge".

One of the cows was in heat and a monster of a bull in musth was doing his best to herd her away from the rest just like you see it happen in DSTV wildlife programs. The good thing about it all was that this was a real "tusker" in breeding spirit ! ( another tusker in the making )

Unfortunately the lover-boy and his girlfriend kept rather far out in the dense riverine forest of the Mphongolo and no clear photos were possible.

How-ever, back home I studied the two available photos and carefully going through Aat's http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/ website, I discovered that the lover boy was indead Tihongonyeni !

Look at the photos below :-

The photo by my wife Lettie clearly shows three identification features :-
One Longitudinal crack on the upper outside tip of the right hand tusk tip.
Two Right hand tusk curved sharper than LH tusk just below the front leg elbow line.
Three LH tusk straighter than RH tusk and curving lower than RH tusk below the front leg elbow line.
( Should you look at Aat's photo [ 4th from top on Tihongonyeni's page on http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/ ], you will also see the blunt tip of the LH tusk - same as on Lettie's photo.

I used a segment out of Lappies' photo on http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/ for comparison.

Gerrie.

PS :- I position the car for photos and Lettie shoots with her camera.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:40 pm 

100ponde
Great ID work ! :thumbs_up:

You can add a few other ID signs...
Look at the right ear and you see the hole (center of the ear, closer to his head) including the small notch and a very small hole just upwards of that notch.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hallo to all the Big tusker friends,

Vlakvarkvrou and I were in the northern part of Kruger the end of July! We had wonderful Tusker sightings. :lol:

I thought I would share a few with you.

We had the honour to meet Masasana at Grootvlei dam on the S50! Here is a few pics.

Almost clean ears. Note the 2 small holes in the right ear and a bigger hole in the left ear. At a closer look I also spotted 2 very small holes on the left ear.

What a wonderful sighting! :dance:

Thanks Aat for the confirmation. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A lot of Tembe Tusker this afternoon on their webcam :-

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here's a blast from the past. I was going through some of my old slides to see which ones were worth scanning and I came across this one, shot in October 1992 on the south end of the S50. This is Shilowa, one of the big boys who unfortunately died before he showed his full potential.

I remember this encounter quite vividly, we were going south, he was coming north. After I took this picture I was about to start the car to get out of his way when he moved off the road, walked around us and returned to the road behind us. What a gent!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm 

BluTuna,
Thanks a lot for sending this picture to me. I just updated the tusker site for Shilowa. To me and for all a real added value to have more pictures of the Big Tuskers of the past. I still wonder how many "hidden" pictures there are about them... really happy with this one !!

[quote="BluTuna"]Here's a blast from the past. I was going through some of my old slides to see which ones were worth scanning and I came across this one, shot in October 1992 on the south end of the S50. This is Shilowa, one of the big boys who unfortunately died before he showed his full potential.

I remember this encounter quite vividly, we were going south, he was coming north. After I took this picture I was about to start the car to get out of his way when he moved off the road, walked around us and returned to the road behind us. What a gent!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Did this one get lost amongst others or is he just impossible to ID from these pix?
arks wrote:
I saw this possible tusker along the H14 on 22 April 2012, in the area of the turnoff to Shimuwini (I don't recall precisely where, but about 10 minutes before I crossed the Letaba low level bridge) and what was interesting was that he was with a breeding herd, altho he wasn't showing any 'interest' in the cows. Unfortunately I only saw his right side (and not even a great view of that :( )

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 203  Next