Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many leopards have you seen?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 am 

Not sure how many I have seen, but this was the latest one at Lake Panic last Saturday.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Went on an early morning drive in July this year along the Sabie river. We had been in the park for 4 days and only seen the behind of a lion walking along the road about 3km's ahead (ok, a bit of an exaggeration but it felt like it because the traffic jam was HUGE :( and we were at the back of the queue :mrgreen:. Anyway, spotted a lion running at great speed parallel to the road about 7m away. Wow, now its great excitement for us cos ITS A LION :yaya: Problem was he disappeared behind a small rocky outcrop, but we could hear snarling and growling.... Very frustrating as you know they are there but just cant see them. We were the first people there, so while we're reversing, going forward, reversing etc etc to try and see if we can get a better angle, low and behold, in a tree (one of those dead, beautiful old trees) just next to the rocky outcrop is a...... LEOPARD!!!!!! The sighting was truly amazing. The sun was coming up, a fish eagle was calling in the distance, the air was cold and the leopard sat there with the sun on him/her breathing out steam as he/she regained its breath. I think what had happened was the leopard had caught something and the lions who were in the vicinity got wind of the kill and stole it, chasing the leopard up the tree.
It just goes to show. If we hadnt spotted the lion, we would never have seen the leopard up the tree. Moral of the story: Look up in as many trees as possible!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:38 am 

Stunning shot Jane! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 pm 

Over the years we have seen a few rare sightings of leopard.

Only ever fleeting and far away but this year we were so privillaged to see a LIT just outside Timbivati. It lay in a tree over the road for 15 minutes watching us. We were the only ones there and it was amazing. Here is a photo but there are a few more in my trip report.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:12 pm 

I'm a beginner, 3 trips no leopards then on my last trip 6 sightings in 4 days, 1 all to myself for 15-20 mins but although in stalking mode and no more than 10 mtrs, he would not look directly at us but I will treasure that time.

Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 am 

onewithnature, i cheat, i work in a private reserve with radio's, trackers, off-road driving, so much easier to see these 'elusive' cats...my best run was in october last year (2009) at the end of a long dry winter....in just over 3 weeks, i had 42 sightings of 12 different leopards.....in the kruger, i have only ever had 3 leopard sightings!!!! 1 a glimpse as he crossed the road, one 70m off the road in a tree with the rest of the kruger, and the last, on my most recent trip 2 years back, was a great sighting of a mother and cub crossing the sabi river...still a bit better than your mate from timbavati!!! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

These are some shots of the leopard we saw on the S 33 Vutomi Rd with which we spent two and a half hours. As you can see, it was very relaxed and allowed us to see it doing different things. It was about fifteen metres from us initially laying down in a ditch and changed positions every now and then, finally leaving the sahde at midday to drink from a pool of water on the opposite side of the road. One of our best leopard sightings.

Link to some of my pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/wildchildknp1

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 pm 

@wildchild: 55 so far this year!? WOW!!!

I've seen 5 so far since mid-March, including interaction between two adults at a kill. Let's see how many I'll see this year. Last years it was about 30.

This was the first one this year.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have not kept count , must have seen 30 or more but none have been as rewarding as this sighting ...
The 1st time ever that ours was the only car (and we found it ourselves = no pirate viewing) at a Leopard In Tree sighting near Xxxxkxxxx last Friday afternoon - only the approaching darkness forced our departure .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Been very lucky as far as Leopard sightings go recently. Saw a big male early morning around Satara back in January and then whilst doing a bit of birding on the S25 last week, busy ID'ing a Dark Chanting Goshawk, I looked up for a split second only to find this beauty staring straight at me...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow Wildchild that is very impressive. :clap:

My tally over the years is Kruger - 15.

This was the latest one, seen eating his lunch near Mopani Camp!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:56 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Don't think I'll ever catch up with your total Scips!! :shock:

You probably know this lovely one, seen on the H9 just past the H14 turning. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
A count now, relying on my memory reveals 24 leopards in Kruger and two outside of Kruger in North West parks.

Lower Sabie(5)
Skukuza(5)
Letaba(3)
Pretoriuskop(3)
Punda Maria(2)
Satara(2)
Croc Bridge(1)
Biyamithi(1)
Malelane(1)
Orpen dam(1)

Only seen leopard twice on night drives - once from Satara and once from Punda Maria.
Most of my leopard sightings were around noon to 2pm.

Best leopard trip - 5 different leopards in one day during our first day on the Duke mission, beginning with a mom carrying her brand spanking new born baby in her mouth. A L.I.T right next to the road and another mom with two cubs. :D All with photos or video to boot! :D

Were fortunate to witness 2 leopard kills. 1 at Orpen dam - waterbuck calf and 1 on Mahonie loop - Sharpe's Grysbok.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 pm 

My count is 34 in Kruger and 1 in Pilanesberg . No leopard kills (1 lion and 1 cheetah kill witnessed in Kruger ) . Two of the most memorable leopard sightings were on a trip in May 2012 to L.Sabie . Witnessed a male stalking an impala at Sunset dam , only for an Egyptian Goose to sound the alarm when he was about 5m away . The leopard then sauntered off and confronted one of the medium size crocs sunning themselves , chasing it into the water . The next morning we saw the tail end of a fight on the L.Sabie bridge between 2 different males . For me , L.Sabie and the Biyamiti private road are undoubtedly the best leopard areas in the park . Skukuza , Satara and the Tshokwane area are also good . I have seen 2 at Mopani which is a little underrated . Despite the apparently favourable habitat and reports from others , I have Shingwedzi overrated as far as leopards are concerned .

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Wildchild, you're undoubtedly a leopard magnet! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The other end of the spectrum: I met a gentleman at Timbavati who lives close to the Park. He told me that, in over 30 years of coming into the Park for day trips - at least twice a month - through Orpen gate and travelling around most of the day, he had ...
wait for it ...

... only seen one leopard, and that in a tree. To add to that, four times cheetah (including on this last trip), and maybe 10 times wild-dog! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Also, some time ago I met a woman who visited Kruger for two weeks every year for over 20 years, and who claimed that she had NEVER, in all of that time, seen a leopard or a cheetah! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: How is that possible? Even if one drives too fast and does not look sideways, sooner or later one must come across a LIT or a bunch of cars by one of the cats? Perhaps she never exits a camp? :hmz: :hmz:

I am aghast at the HUGE difference between various people's number of sightings. Which still reminds me to enjoy every single cat sighting I see, for one never really knows when one will see that cat again.

I would LOVE to understand why some people can see leopard every trip, while others see one, or even none, in a lifetime?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next