Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Magic Guarri The Elephant Song April 2012
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone!

Its already 2 weeks ago that we left South Africa. This time our little boy Maxi was with us and we had an awesome time! It was also an experience to see the bush with the eyes of a little boy (now since Saturday 3 years old). :D

The last days I was :hmz: thinking about the title of our TR but couldn´t find one. Than this morning, I drove the little boy to the kindergarden and suddenly I got one! :dance: :dance:

"The Elephant Song"

This title belongs to a story. In Maxis kindergarden they have a song about ellies. Its not easy to translate but I will try it.

“What kind of trees must these be where the big elephants do walk through without bumping each other. On the left are trees – on the right are trees and spaces inbetween - where the big elephants do walk through without bumping each other”

So every ellie we saw was happy that Maxi sang a song for him! (Nearly every ellie) :wink:

Our trip started with 2 nights in Crocodile Bridge. During these two days we saw lots of Rangers around and also a Helicopter was around at night and during the day. We heard why – because of 9 poached Rhinos the last days and we were very sad about this. :cry: :cry:

After Croc Bridge we stayed 7 nights in St. Lucia and than another 4 nights in KNP.

In St. Lucia we had 2 highlights in the Hluhluwe Imfolozi:

1. Green Mamba killing and eating a frog!! :shock:
2. We drove to a picnic side – no other cars – you were allowed to go out of your car. There are toilets and a wonderful view point. BUT ...we drove around for two times and it looked like the place is okay – THAN :big_eyes: :big_eyes: we saw one, two, three, four….. OMG 6 lions were lying around close to the road and we couldn´t see them!

Some of our Highlights in KNP:

1. Black Rhino
2. Snake on our veranda
3. meeting lovely Forumites
4. between two ellie bulls is not funny
5. Some Braai visitors

And lots of more :D

Back in KNP (after St. Lucia) - we had the same Bungalow in BnD like last year. Maybe some of you know the “Snake Story” in that Bungalow :shock: . Well, this time we had another Snake-Story but a real one! :big_eyes:

And we had two spotted visitors during our Braai on our last evening in BnD!!! :dance: :dance:

…and I did an awesome walk with Melph and her Dad and Raymond :D

and…. and… and….

But it was strange for us that we didn´t see much birds! There were eveon NO Hornbills at Afsaal :hmz: We also saw no Raptors and we wondered why? Maybe because of the high grass and the flood? Or was it breeding time of the hornbill and half of them were in the trees? I don´t know...

Will try to sort out the pics the next days that I can start with the first episode soon!

Here are some impressions :D

Roadblock :shock:

Look into my eyes baby :tongue:

Our Spotter :D

Wish you all a nice Easter Weekend and see you hopefully soon again here!

Karin

PLEASE NO HOTELS in KNP and PLEASE don´t change KNP into a Funpark!

KNP - Eyes and tracks behind the bush

Post subject: Re: The Elephant Song
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone!!
WOW - so many posts :D That really means a lot for me and I am happy that you all are on board on this TR!! :dance:

Thank you Heksie, dellac, Puppy, Pumba, wildflowergirl, threedogs, FC, saraf, Rookie2009, Joao, Gemma, katydownunder, roaneric, PetraJ, vlakvarkvrou, melph, PNF, MM, anne-marie and Foxy for your kind words! :thumbs_up:

Pumba - could be that most of the birds were already on their way but we also saw a few hornbills. :hmz: And usually they are everywhere...

threedogs - you are right and Maxi want to come back to KNP next year :dance: :wink:

saraf - that was not the only Mantis :wink:

roaneric - Thank you :thumbs_up:

PNF - OH YES we saw many amazing things and had to laugh very often about "his" sightings :dance:

Before I will continue with our Kruger Trip I will share my personal favourite sighting ever! Hope its okay when I am posting this here because the sighting was not in KNP.

We came across a Green Mamba with a frog in her mouth. After a while another car came and the Mamba got up :big_eyes: and jumped into the bush. That all was so quick that I only could start with the video when the snkae was in the bush. :hmz: We were thinking about a long time if its really a Green Mamba but than we asked some Guides and also checked the Snakebooks and especially the eyes and could see – YES!! IT IS! :dance: :dance: :dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHZsrkHihTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP2Nu9SETXk

In the morning when we entered the park we suddenly had to stop because a Hyaena came towards us. I was busy taking pics and Stefan busy taking a video. As fast as the Hyaena came she disappeared into the bush again. Suddenly Maxi was crying “Mom, Dad look here!!!! Look on my side!!!!” We both were looking on his side ready to take pics of more Hyaenas but there was nothing. But Maxi was so excited “Look here!!! There is a Fly on my window!!” :D

Stef and I had to laugh and couldn´t stop! The little boy was so excited about this Fly and that HE spotted it!! …and he spotted so much more… :wink: :dance:

Our first day at Crocodile Bridge is coming soon… :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good afternoon everyone!
Anne-Marie, Gemma, vinkie, dellac, hilda, melph and CB - THANKS once again for your kind words! :thumbs_up:

vínkie - thank you! You are planning the same route? I really recommend that! St. Lucia is our second home and we had one of our best giraffe sightings when driving through Swaziland :wink: (will post the video)

dellac - your are right! Maxi was the best spotter we could have! (more about that soon) :wink:

hilda - THANK YOU!

On our first eveing in SA we visited some friends. They have a huge Saint Bernard. I was with Maxi in the garden and suddenly he wanted to go to Stef. I told him he´s somewhere in the house looking for our stuff. On half way Maxi was suddenly crying :big_eyes: if he had seen a monster or something like that! But it was Fluffy – and Fluffy was surpriesed “OH – there is someone scared of me! What I have to do now?”

After a wonderful and LECKER braai :D this eveing we felt asleep very soon. The next morning we were on the road very soon and made it in time to arrive at Malelane. My plan was to take the S25 to Crocodile Bridge. The lady at the reception told us that some parts of the S25 are still closed :? “But don´t worry – you can go to Crocodile Bridge via Skukuzza” :hmz: First I thought she is joking but she wasn´t! I said we won´t make it in time and its better to take the highway to Crocodile Bridge. So with a bit of disappointment we said goodbye again and drove directly to the new gate Crocodile Bridge.

We were a little bit confused about the new reception and gate outside and than we checked in. I booked a walk from at home and asked also for a Morning Drive and than the next disappointment :? . There are no other people for the walk and no people for the drive – so sorry! But everything was already paid… I had to wait and ask again tomorrow…

We got to our bungalow and packed our stuff into the house. Maxi was busy helping Daddy 8)

When all our stuff was in the house we needed a break! :wink:

Me and Little Satara :D

And of course the little boy had his own Safari Camping Chair :mrgreen:

But than Mommy couldn´t stay in camp any more and we did a little drive around! It was an amazing feeling to be back in the bush! :dance: :dance: :dance:

It was still hot and it was very quiet we didn´t see much game but just to be back was a wonderful feeling! :D

Little Satara also tried to spot animals during the night but he didn´t see anything. :wink:

Suddenly an amazing full moon came up

Before the little one went to bed he had to sing the Elephant Song :D

Stef and I enjoyed the noises of the bush for a while and than we also went to bed. But I could sleep only for some hours – than “PLOPP” :big_eyes: :big_eyes: there was something/someone in our room!!

More soon

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The „PLOPP“-story and the next morning

Maybe some of you have the same feelings like I have in the first night out in the bush. The first night in the bush after a long time is special – for me! I am thinking about lot of things. :hmz: What will we see, its also different when the little boy is with us, I was listening to all the noises outside…and of course in the room. Maxi and Stef had the double bed and I had the single one. And…the boys were snorring terribly! :evil: :evil:

After a while I was to tiered to think about the trip and I fell aseep. Only few hours later I woke up. :shock: There is something in our room. No… :hmz: While I was thinking if there is something or not – suddenly PLOPP!!! Okay…now I knew there must be something. I got up and was looking for the light. Light on… :big_eyes: OMG there is something big and black on Stefs bed! I went to Stef “Honey, there is something big and black lying on your bed” “Okay…” :hmz: I tried it again “honey, there is something BLACK lying on your bed!!!!!” He was looking at that balck thing and didn´t do anything. “Let it be… I am tiered, I want to sleep!” :hmz: I couldn´t believe that answer, that couldn´t be my husband!!!! After a while the black thing got up again and flew through the bungalow. It was a big bat! She came against the fan and fell down again. I took a towel and put it carefully over the bat. Than I opened the door and left towel with bat on the tabel outside. My boys were sleeping again when I went back into the bungalow. I hoped for the bat that she will make it and was not injured too bad. With the thought “What would I have done if the bat PLOPPED directly into my face during the night??? I couldn´t sleep anymore… :?

The next morning the bat was gone.

It was a lovelly morning and we enjoyed a nice hot coffee and Maxi got his chocolate milk. But he was too excited to drink because of all the noises, the monkeys around and his own little bambi (bushbuck) which came every day to say “hello”. Than we packed our stuff for our first drive. I packed the cooler box and took also our pepper biscuit out of the cupboard. Than we had to go inside the house just for 2 minutes to pick up the cameras and the rest. Outside again I saw the monkeys. “Which idiots didn´t look carefully and put biscuits out that the monkey will get them?” :evil:

Than I saw that we were these idiots! :redface: :slap: Sh… Maxi was very impressed that the monkey stole our biscuits. I told him that we always must be very carefully because its not good for the animals when they are eating and stealing our food. I was impressed about the little boy because after that he was always looking around if there are monkeys ready to jump in and steal our food!

We watched the monkeys for a while but than Mommy wanted to be on the road again and so our first morning started with…

2 birds waiting for food

…and two kings ready to have a nice nap :D

WOW, what a start into our first day in Kruger! :D :dance:

There were two kings lying in the high grass after a successful night. We coulnd´t see the kill but we could see the big bellys. This was the best pic of one the lions we could get.

We stayed there for some minutes but the lions were to lazy to get up. It was becoming hot and they were in the shade so we thought the won´t move the next hours. Our plan was to go to Lower Sabie to have lunch there and a nice jump into the swimming pool. At Gasanftombi we stopped but there were no animals around and so we took the S28 to Lower Sabie. I hoped to see the cheetahs in that area but maybe it was already too hot. We didn´t see much but I enjoyed the beautiful landscape.

The next stop was Ntandanyathi. There were also seen lions around the hide but not when we stopped there. I love that hide and I was looking forward to what we will see there. Some hippos were in the water and also some birds around. Not much but nice to watch. Suddenly I was a bit scared because a monster was looking into my cam. It was not a monster – it was a crested barbet sitting directly in front of me! Some idiots put biscuits there for the birds and this one wasn´t shy to come and eat while I was sitting there.

Its always amazing to watch the small things in the park!

These two were looking like “We are the kings of that waterhole” 8)

Few minutes later we were on the road again to Lower Sabie.

Next episode soon :D

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The last kilometers to Lower Sabie were very quiet. It was already very hot and Little Satara was looking forwad and couldn´t wait to jump into the swimming pool in Lower Sabie.

But before we drove to the camp we did a stop at Sunset Dam. Maxi was so excited to see some Hippos or Crocs but also the Dam was very quiet :? There was only one little Croc in the water and some Hippos around. The little spotter was busy with his binoculars to check the area :wink:

When we arrived at Lower Sabie I saw something moving on a big branch and suddenly this little Agama was watching me just saying "hello" :D

During our lunch we enjoyed the awesome view from the deck of the restaurant. I couldn´t believe that the water was so high during the flood – and now its gone again. The power of nature is really amazing!

After a while we went to the swimming pool and Maxi and I really had lots of fun. The pool at Lower Sabie is wonderful and close to the fence. The birdlife around the pool was stunning. Stef didn´t want to come with us into the water (think it was too cold for him :wink: :tongue: ) so he had to take the pics and videos.
Than we had to drive back to Croc Bridge and Maxi had to go out of the water. You can imagine that he didn´t want :? :wink: So I had to promise that we will come back…one day! :dance: :dance:

We did a quick stop at the bridge and enjoyed watching the birds :D

White-croned Lapwing

Hamerkops catching fishes

Pied Kingfisher looking for fish :D

It was too hot to see animals and most on them enjoyed the shade, so it was very quiet.

The landscape around Croc Bridge is beautiful – also without animals :D

Back in camp I went to the reception to ask for my walk the next day. The answer was not good “we are sorry, there are no other people for the walk!” :? :cry: The man at the reception was very friendly and we were thinking about what can I do instead of the walk. I booked a Sunset Drive at Berg en Dal for the first day after our trip to St. Lucia. I lost some money because the walk was already payed and a little bit more expensive than the drive but I wasn´t thinking about that anymore. I just want to do something and I was very disappointed that I couldn´t do the walk in Croc Bridge! Maybe next time...

We drove to our Bungalow and hat a nice afternoon coffee. A bit later we were on the road again for a short Afternoon Drive :)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good morning everyone!
Thank you all so much FC, cheetah2111, hilda, Sharifa, anne-marie, Me Skarabee, melph, Gemma, Pumbaa and barryels for your kind words and feedback!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Me Skarabee - a very warm welcome to our TR!! I am happy that you like it! :thumbs_up: ...and yes there was a good end to the paid activities! I did a Sunset Drive at Berg en Dal instead of the walk :D

Pumbaa - I can imagine your feelings while watching these pics of the riverbed! Tja, thats nature :shock: :D

Before we started with our afternoon drive Maxi and I had much fun watching the little monkeys :D

Of course we had to look for Maxis Bambi :D to check if its okay and to say hello :D

Out in the bush it was again a very quiet afternoon.

Some zebras... :D

...and some beautiful flowers :D

At last a friendly impie which said “goodbye – see you soon again:D

We had another wonderful evening with a stunning moon. I enjoyed the atmosphere with a heavy heart because we had to leave the next morning. But I knew we will be back in a week! :dance: :dance:

After a night without a bat in our room Maxi was busy to help Stef packing. And soon we were on our way to St. Lucia…

8 days later we were again on the road from St. Lucia to Malelane gate! :dance: :dance: :D While driving through Swaziland we had an awesome sighting of a big group of giraffes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBSlu0VdTY

I was a little bit worried about the weather which didn´t really look good. :? :pray: I hoped that it won´t rain during my Sunset Drive!

We made it in time to check in at Malelane Gate and I was :hmz: thinking about which animal we will see first.

First animal was…a big five!!! :D

…the second animal was again…a big five!!! :dance: :dance:

:naughty: BUT, that’s onother story :D

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good afternoon everyone!
Thanks so much again anne-marie, hilda, Crested Val, Gemma, Me Skarabee, melph, MM, FC, vinkie, cheetah2111 and barryels for your kind feedback :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I am very sorry to let you wait so long for the next episode :redface: :redface: and for to be so quiet but its a little bit busy this side of the world and I was not feeling very well.

Back in KNP :D

It was not easy for Maxi to left Crocodile Bridge because “who will look for Bambi?” :cry: :? Stef and I were busy to explain him that Bambi will have a wonderful time here and is already looking forward to when Maxi will be back in KNP! I promised him that Bambi will be in Berg en Dal when we will stay there (hopefully! :pray: :pray: Last year we had lots of Bushbucks around the fence)

After a wonderful and amazing week in St. Lucia with also many wonderful sightings we were on the road again towards Malelane Gate.

The staff at the gate were very friendly – as always – and we drove slowly into the park thinking about which will be the first animal? :D

An Impie? – No!
Some Kudus? – No!
Warthogs? – No!

Stef drove a few meters and than I said STOPP Please! There was a big group of ellies, very relaxed and one of them looked like to say “Hello again!” to the Bavarians! :D

My cam was not really working and I was :hmz: thinking about whats wrong? Maxi was excited to see so many ellies and started again his Elephant Song :D Suddenly a car stopped next to us and a very friendly man told us about a sighting a few meters down the road. I heard the ONE AND ONLY WORD: LEOPARD!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

We said “goodbye” to the ellies which were not very impressed about the Leopard :wink: and followed the tar road. Not far away we saw 3 cars and a huge truck. Stef stopped the car but we couldn´t get a clear look to the cat. :? :wall: …and the truck didn´t think about to move a little bit. I think everyone can imagine my feelings! :evil: To be only few meters aways from a Leopard and no chance to see her! But Stef got the chance to make a little movie through the front window. Look at the eyes and you can see it’s a beautiful spotted girl! :dance: :dance: :dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3drzS8ElU

After a while she got up and moved to a small little rock. Now we could see her better but far away! Anyway a Leopard is a Leopard! :D

In few seconds there were more and more cars around and we left her and drove to the camp to check in. We got the bungalow I booked (no. 31) but now, I am not allowed to book that bungalow anymore! But that’s another story! :shock: 8)

I had enough time to relax before I had to go to the meeting point for the Sunset Drive. I was so excited to see maybe the Wilddogs which were seen around that area nearly every day! :dance: :dance: BUT, while I was waiting for the Sunset Drive – the doggies were playing a game on the tar road close to Malelane Camp and were gone again, when we were on the road. :wall: :wall: :wall: :cry:

Evenso it was an awesome drive with again some Big 5 :wink: and the next day started with an unforgetable Morning Drive with Raymond! :dance: :dance:

More soon again!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

18/03/2012 - Sunset Drive Berg en Dal

I left my boys and went to the meeting point for the Sunset Drive. There were some people waiting for the guide and than I was very happy that we took the smaller truck and not the monster one :wink:

The weather was looking a little bit better but there were still some dangerous grey clouds around and we all hoped that it won´t rain :pray:

We started the drive with a spotted one but sorry, the light was not the best and so the pics are not with the best quality :?

The hyaena was definitely in a mission because she was running very fast and in a strict direktion :D

Than we stopped for an eagle but sorry I don´t know which one. Maybe someone can help?

...and of course we had to stop for that beauty :wink:

Suddenly it was getting darker and darker and I put my camera away. It was quiet and we didn´t really see much of the big game. But, we saw lots of owls which was fantastic for me because I never saw so many during one drive :dance: :D ! Not every owl was happy and allowed us to take some pics but that Spotted Eagle-Owl was very relaxed! :dance: :dance:

I tried to play a little bit with my video modus :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ivvfZ-NLE&feature=relmfu

We stayed with the Owl for a while but than it was time to drive back to camp. But there were much more on the road and in the trees around the tar road.

…and than :big_eyes: OMG – there is something in the road!!!!!! LIONS!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Our guide pushed the gas pedal and drove to the cats a bit fast :? There was a pregnant lioness with them and they all disappeared very quick into the bush. I got the chance to take one pic but its not good. They were lying down for a while and we could hear them which was awesome!! :D

I was very relaxed because I also booked a Morning Drive for the next day and was looking forward to see them again 8) – maybe! :clap:

Next episode with a Morning Drive with Raymond and an amazing Road Block :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good afternoon everyone!
Thank you all for your kind words melph, cheetah2111, kallis1786, hilda, anne-marie, Cape of Storms and Sharifa :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

kallis1786 - a very warm welcome to our TR! I am very happy that you enjoy it! Thank you :thumbs_up:

I came back from the Sunset Drive to my boys with a big smile in my face! Stef knew that he had not to ask if I saw something special :wink: :D We had a nice braai and than it was time for Maxi to go to bed. It was really a long day. Stef and I sat outside for a while with a cold Black Label and enjoyed the noises all around, which was wonderful! But than it was also for us time to go to bed. We both were tired and I had to stand up early the next morning :wink:

In Kruger I don´t need an alarm clock! I woke up in time. Maxi was sleeping very well so I said goodbye to Stef put my camera and drove to the reception to the meeting point. Another couple from the Netherlands joined me and we were waiting for Raymond. He came – again with the small truck :dance: :dance: – which makes me very happy again! I took the place in the back and we were on the road!

The first hour was very quiet and cold. But than with the first light the first big 5 came out to say Good Morning :D

Raymond drove nearly the same route as our guide yesterday from the Sunset Drive. He just took one different road and there we had the jackpot :D

But first we came to a bridge. The landscape was breathtaking and suddenly I saw that croc :big_eyes:

Than Raymond spotted this beautiful eagle but the light was not the best :?

It was a quiet morning and after half an hour the road made a big turn to the right and Raymand hat to put the brakes! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

OMG WOW :big_eyes: and :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :D

I think the following pics will tell you the story - my camera was burning :wink:

Her King busy marking his territory :D

He was blind on one eye and Raymond told us that he never saw this king before. The lioness was a little bit thin but the big boy looked very healthy. Raymond had a lion call on his phone but the King was not impressed. So instead of our King we got an answer from far away :D which was an amzing sound!

What a look :D

Okay, one more pic :D

...and here also two videos - hope you will enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWMaZ5tzyVs

Listen carefully you can hear her! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Lb30qc1JQ

We spend a long time with the lions but after a while it was time to say goodbye ! I was happy that was my day – and what an amazing start into the day! :dance: :dance: :dance: :D :D

On the way back to camp we saw some more Rhinos and some Giraffes.

I came back to my boys, smiling all over my face :D :D and sat down to have a cup of hot coffee. Just in that moment when Stefan came out with to cups of coffee Maxi said “OH! There is a black snake and she is coming towards me!”

WHAT :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

To be continued soon with our second “Snake-Story” :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: „Oh there is a black snake!“ I am sure, we will never forget that moment!

There was a little black snake coming towards Maxi and me! Stefs face was changing the colour form red to white and back and he suddenly became very nervous. The first look at the snake I knew “it wasn´t a black mamba, it wasn´t a boomslang and it wasn´t a puffadder or a cobra! But which kind of snake was :hmz: it? I quickly took a pic and drove to the reception with my cam and asked for help. There were two gentlemen ranger, sitting on a couch with their guns and were looking at me. I think, I was also looking very nervous and I asked them if they can help me to identify a black snake which is on our veranda. I showed them the pics and both got a big smile on their face. “It’s a kind of lizard snake – don´t worry!” I was very happy and drove back to my boys. But, they were gone…? Than I saw the snake again and suddenly I had to laugh! :D :D My boys were inside the bungalow at the window looking outside and the snake was on the other side looking inside!

Stefan was also very happy about the end of this story but the shock we both had was following us the whole day! But we were also very proud about our little boy and his behaviour! :clap: :clap:

Here is one pic of the snake and at the weekend I will post a video from Stefan.

After a while the snake had enough from us and was gone again. We took another hot coffee and thought its time again to go out into the bush looking for other animals. We drove to Matjulu and met a nice litte Kudu family :D

Matjulu was looking totally different to August 2011. It was green everywhere and lots of water. But this morning very quiet :)

We took the magic road back to the tar road and suddenly something was crossing the road! …and guess what???? :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: A leopard! But he was to quick for pics :?

There were two ladies in a car behind the cat and the older one was so excited and had tears in her eyes! Its always special when people are so happy to see a leopard! I was feeling with her :D :wink:

We had a second breakfast in Afsaal and I introduced Maxi to the Scops Owl. But both were not very impressed :wink:

At the parking area we met the resident ellie bull which lives around Afsaal! WOW, what a big boy!

You can see that better on Stefans video which I try to post at the weekend!

So hopefully to be continued soon! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good evening everyone!
Noel, hilda, melph, Pumbaa, Heksie, vinkie, Sharifa, Rookie, Cape of Storms, cheetah2111, OWN and Radman - thanks again so much for your kind words! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sharifa - the Scops is still sitting in the tree but on another branch and without the sign!

I am happy that you like the snake story! Its really funny that during every trip now, we had a snake story exact in that Bungalow No. 31 :D

Here is the video from the snake! Don´t worry, Stef and Maxi were always in a safe distance! But sorry for Maxis comments and singing :tongue: :wink: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmj2a92Mwk&feature=relmfu

I am really sorry that I couldn´t continue with my TR the last weeks, as I told you I was feeling very well.

:hmz: Well I have one bad new, I won´t write another TR the next 2 years :?

The good news, when we will be in Kruger again we need a bigger bungalow :wink: :dance: ...and car :wink:

Wish you all a good night and don´t worry, I will definitely finish that TR! I have to tell you about our spotted visitor during our braai with Melph and her Dad! :wink:

So, hopefully see you soon here again!

Karin

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good morning everyone!
Thank you all for your feedback and kind wishes anne-marie, vinkie, melph, hilda and Pumbaa :gflower:

Melph - I am also looking forward to see you and David again in 3 years! I already planed a route for us and the camps :tongue: :wink:

Pumbaa - with all the problems I have at the moment (the whole pregnant sickness) it could be a Maximiliane :wink:

We left Afsaal and were on our way back to Berg en Dal. On the bridge we stopped for some majestic Kudu Bulls

Than we turned left to one of the gravel roads. We saw the usual game and a Fish Eagle! I was a little bit disappointed because we didn´t see much Fish Eagle :? which was strange because the last times we saw many of them :hmz:

Suddenly there was a huge road block in the middle of the road! About 15 or more giraffes were on their way to the riverbed! :big_eyes: :D

Maxi was very impressed because auf all these giraffes! He had big eyes!

Just after the giraffes Stefan became very nervous. “Okay honey, there are ellies everywhere, also close to the road! I won´t stop for any pic!” I couldn´t belive my eyes, there were really lots of ellies everywhere and they were very quiet and relaxed. But also lots of little ones! So Maxi started again with is Elephant Song and this little one was saying “Hello” to him! Again big eyes – maybe on both sides – the little boy and the ellie :D

We continued with our drive and Stefan became more and more relaxed. :D That time we didn´t know that we will have another big ellie adventure with two bulls which was really not funny! :shock: But that happened the other day. :wink:

At Gardenia Hide we met another lonely ellie, but a friendly one!

...and than we drove straight back to camp. The rest of the drive was very quiet.

We stayed in camp for a while to relaxed and to prepare the salad and the sandwiches for our braai with Mel and David. They were still on the road so we said okay, lets do a little Sunset Drive.

Out of the gate we saw the Marabous which sat every afternoon in the same tree

Again an ellie was crossing our way :D

I am always fascinated of the nest of the weavers :D

We drove a little bit around, hopefully to see the wilddogs but we missed them again. So we decided to drive back to camp and start with the fire.

It was a big “HELLO” with Mel and David and especially Maxi adopted David suddenly as his new Grandpa! :D We had so much fun! …and some spotted visitors (big and small) during our braai. :dance:

But that´t another story :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good morning everyone!
Its a long time that I have been here. I am sorry for that and that you had to wait for the last installments a bit long. My Dad had a bad accident and we had to organize a lot and still have to organize. Its not easy at the moment but he´s feeling much better now and looking forward to his new grandchild. I think that´s giving him the power he needs!

I will try to continue the TR but with not too much words. I think most of the pics will tell the stories :D

It was a BIG HELLO when we met Mel and David and YES, we had a lot of fun!!!! :D :D We all are looking forward to meet you guys again in 2015!!! I really cannot wait and I am sure Maxi too :wink:

Give me five David :D

...and the same to Mel :D

Cheers or a Bavarian PROST!! :D

The next morning Mel, David and I did a morning walk with Raymond. It was the first walk for me in Kruger and it was really an amazing experience. It was also the third time for me to hear a Leopard! What a stunning sound!!! :shock: :dance: Raymond told us, that the cat is not far away maybe about 100 meters. :big_eyes: It’s a strange feeling to be so close to a Leopard out in the middle of the bush! :D

The weather was not the best but good for a walk.

Enjoying the stunning view

smile :D

The beautiful Golden Orbs were everywhere. Suddenly the sun was coming out and the nets of these awesome spiders were looking golden. It was really a special morning!

Back in camp we had a lecker breakfast! :D

OH, I really miss that Vegemite! :D

It was time to take a pic with Stefan!

Also the Little Satara was enjoying his breakfast!

But than it was time to introduce the famous Malmen to Mel and David! :wink:

In the next episode we will meet Scopi in Afsaal again and had an experience with two Ellie bulls I will never forget!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello everyone!
Thank you all OWN, anne-marie, dellac, hilda, Pumbaa, cheetah2111, barryels, mel, normana, FC and Heksie for your kind words and wishes for my Dad!!

Cheetah2111 - a nice and cold Black Label belongs for us to every day in the bush when the sun is going down :D I really miss that now! :wink:

Its time again to continue this TR :D it was a day we will never forget! :wink:

After breakfast we did a relaxed drive to Afsaal for our next breakfast :D

...and of course to say HELLO to Scopie :D

I think one of the reasons why Little Satara loves Africa is because he was allowed to eat icecream for breakfast :tongue:

After a while we were on the road again and had our first sad sighting of that day :cry:

We stopped at Kwaggaspan - its a famous place to see cheetahs but there was only two big ellie bulls :D I am still waiting for my cheetah sighting and hope to have it in 2015 :dance: :dance: what a long time :shock: :?

Smile Please! - OH! Always these Yellow Ribbons :D

We continued our drive to Skukuza and Mel and her Dad were always behind or in front of us.

Suddenly we came across a giraffe fight which was very interesting to watch.

At the junction to Pretoriuskop/Skukuza we met the typical Klipspringer.

We all were already a bit tired so Malmen became our new driver :D

He did a vey good job but didn´t spot anything :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had a quick late lunch in Skukuza and the little boy wanted to run a little bit around. There were so many things to see and to find :wink:

I love these little ones - they are so colourful!

It was already too late for a short trip to Lake Panic :cry: so we slowly drove back to the camp.

But than I saw another colourful animal and we had to stop again :D

The open area around Afsaal was very busy but again no cats or dogs :?

We only had a few kilometers on the tar road to camp but suddenly I had to slow down. There was a big Ellie bull walking in the middle of the road towards Malelane Gate and just behind a very small car. The people in the car were excited to be so close to the Elephant and were busy taking pics. I stopped our car just to wait what the Ellie will do and if he´s relaxed or not. The bull was walking and looked relaxed. But than – :big_eyes: suddenly I realized something behind me – something big and something grey. :hmz: A grey ghost?

NO! Another Ellie bull was feeding behind a bush just next to the road. Maybe he saw us – our beautiful car and thought “OH, I will follow them!” So we were in a carawane Big Ellie Bull – smal car – our golden Nissan – second Ellie bull. :?

My heart was pumping and I was thinking what to do. The bull in front was walking slowlier and slowlier and the bull behind me was coming closer and closer. That was a horrible feeling and what did my husband? He said “be cool baby!:wall: Usually he was running crazy when we came close to elephants and now he´s telling me to be cool? :naughty:

Thank god a giraffe came out of the bush. The car in front of me stopped to take pics of the giraffe and the first ellie bull was running into the bush – his tail straight into the air. The bull behind me was following the first one – also with his tail straight into the air. I don´t know what this guys did somewhere in the bush but they were gone! …and I was driving back to camp looking forward to a cold Black Label :D

…and Little Satara? He was sleeping all the time!

Back in camp he was drawing a picture for Mom! :D

Does anyone know what these guys are? They were moving in a group and quite big!

We had another wonderful braai with Mel and David and again lots of fun.

When it was time to go to bed for Little Satara he was not happy to leave his friend David

I went with Maxi into the bungalow to bring the cheeky little boy to bed. After few minutes Stef came into the bungalow “Honey come!!! There is a hyaena on our veranda

Stef really looked a bit scared and my first thought was :hmz: “okay, maybe too much Black Label?”

Are you sure, a hyaena?” “No, not really but its big and with spots!

Now I was curious and run out and :big_eyes: :big_eyes: UPS – OMG – there was our hyaena – very close and very curious! :D

Mel and I followed the Civet for a while but she disappeared into the darkness. Wow, what a sighting! :dance: :dance:

Back at our veranda and a bit later we had another visitor. Also with spots but smaller :D :wink:

Just before we went to bed I was watching a beautiful Praying Mantis on our windwow.

I know why I love Berg en Dal so much. :D

But I also know if they will build a hotel in that area I will never book Berg en Dal again! :cry:

To be continued…

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]