SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAMP ETIQUETTE
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There are people who really don't have a sense of boundries.

The big thing to learn from this is not to invite them over to meet your daughters :wink:

Sometime is is nessesary to cross a boundry. An apology goes a long way. There are some people who are "spatialy challenged" and I have had instances when the path to the ablutions was blocked.

In terms of fence spotting, it does happen. I try not to be in people's visual space and stay for a short while.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Anyone who puts a radio/tv on in a campsite is inconsiderate. Rugby matches included, what if the next match is a soccer match etc There would be non stop sports commentary. Even at low volumes it ruins the atmosphere.

Do not put barrier tape up to book prime sites for your friends. Rather go to the back of a campsite away from the fence, if they are not there yet.
The fence line should be first come first served.
Do not build your camp on top of me either, if there is space available elsewhere, use it.
I try to give my neighbours space.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
A fascinating thread indeed. The last couple of decades has certainly seen an unbelievable decrease in manners and consideration for other people's possessions and space - on the roads, in campsites, in shopping malls, and so on. It is the rat phenomenon, I fear, where too many rats in a restricted area results in belligerent, ridiculous behaviour that would not otherwise occur. The same seems to happen in human establishments! I LOVE those old movies where chivalry and wit were the order of the day, and, though sometimes contrived, people mostly avoided serious confrontations. A quick exchange and each went on their way: if it was truly serious, then a duel and all was sorted. :wink:

I had an occasion in Skukuza recently where I pitched my tent in, admittedly, a large camping area; when I returned after my evening drive, a young couple had set up all their possessions adjacent to me. I didn't mind too much as I was one person, but I didn't appreciate that their trailer was placed almost behind my tent such that the only thing stopping it rolling down the gentle gradient and flattening my tent was the metal stand. I was leaving the next day, so chose to rather do little and avoid a fight; of course, after inspecting the trailer to see it was secure. Truly, I had many creative ideas on how to sort them out, but felt that the better thing to do was to move on, especially as I had little chance of ever crossing their paths again.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: OWN, your first paragraph speaks volumes.

We booked to camp at Wilderness NP last year, booked two river view camping sites, next to each other. Arrived and found that my boets long lead was not gonna cut it, so pitched the two tents close to each other on the two campsites and shared one power point. After day 3 or so, in pulls Mr Paarl Registration with his Off Road Trailer - wanting to pitch on our site - we explain to him that he is in fact pitching on our already taken campsite - to which he comments that he has in fact booked this particular site for this period (Easter - and I checked with reception - no pre booking allowed for this period) and he is going to pitch here, whether we like it or not! Not wanting to create an issue, we also opted to live and let live, however it does leave a bad taste.......thankfully the weather turned very crappy, and we decided to move on to Storms River the next day, a day earlier than planned - where we had a chalet booked. Bottom line is that the majority of SA campers are really nice guys........and then you sadly get the likes of the odd SA Jerks!! :roll:

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Last edited by Munchkin on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am 
An incident like that, Munchkin, can ruin a pleasant holiday - if one allows it to. I have learned not to, but also am assertive enough not to allow others to steamroller me because we all have rights and have all paid for those rights. At least it worked out for you. :thumbs_up:

I feel that there should be some way that such unruly behaviour can be thwarted by a SANPark official. On two occasions, the duty managers in Kruger have been helpful in this regard :clap: ; although if the perpetrators find out who complained one may risk a knee-jerk reaction from them.

It IS difficult for all concerned, but a process whereby one can complain and get results is important. Besides the duty managers, does SANParks have an official complaint process in place that could yield results if one feels threatened by another visitor? Or is that the turf of the police?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh dear, Munchkin, we do get them :roll: I hope you enjoyed Storms River. Sounds a better option.

Sometimes I think that I should start my own small business, rag dolls and multicoloured needles. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:04 am 
:funny: :funny:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
If I 'need' to encroach onto someone else's 'property' I make friends with them first. (sighting at THEIR part of the fence etc) I have never had a bad experience in this regard.

But TD & others are correct. Basic good manners are all that is needed.

Another thing that should be made illegal is the chirping car alarms.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm 

If I can give my opinion here is that nobody has respect for anybody else or their propety. People using your braai tools, leaving the tap open, doesn't rince the basin after shaving, toilets...., fire wood, music, drunk people, cars being revved, feeding of animals and the list can go on.

Now I am a very relaxed person and actually can live with all of these things, but one thing that gets me boiling is what happend the last holiday. We are a young couple with young kids and I am working in the construction buisness, so that means you have only one holiday a year at a specific time each and every year. Now for some odd reason the over 65 brigade decided that people with kids (one is 6 months and the other 3years old) are not allowed to enjoy national parks. I mean there is nothing you can do if a baby cries in the evening. They certainly also had children and should know that(feel sorry for their children). I grew up that you have respect for your seniors always no matter what, but if another old toppie gives me problems about something like that....... he will have 5 flat tyers the next morning.

If a person have problems with kids and you can not stand to be in the presence of other living creatures from the human race, go to the parks in off season, you are retired after all.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
This almost old toppie agrees with you young Joh!

Why old toppies want to go when they 40% is not active is beyond me!

Babies cry from time to time, but I hope you are not one of those parents who doesn't care, like most modern parents seem to be, because I am be tempted to give any spoilt brat a snotklap like I gave my own, who all 3 grew up to respect other people and their property.

shotklap freely translated - backhander.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 am 

Agreed Bush Baptist

If a child is disrespectful or anything like that, we sort the problem out, but it is a bit dufficult when they are very little, all you can do is change the nappy (put it in the old toppie's bin :evil: :evil: , give them a bottle and walk around with them.

And yes, for the older ones a snotklap is in order. A persons foundations is laid by your parents while your young.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 am 
As you say, Johan, babies do not intentionally disturb the peace. However, I have several times come across older kids that have no regard for anything, including themselves - they tear around the camp, screaming, yelling, and sometimes chasing resident animals and birds. In all cases, their parents seemed to think there was nothing wrong with this behaviour! And, often, those type of parents are quite aggressive and almost always defensive when anything is said to them. Then again, there are innumerable cases of drunk "adult children" acting worse than delinquents, guffawing and screaming with laughter into the early hours of the morning. Once, at Shingwedzi, a family shattered the peace continuously until 2 a.m.! At least, today, one can always try the duty managers to attempt to rectify the situation.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
We had hordes of screaming children running through campsites,over campsites,around campsites in Tsendze 2 weeks ago. I told them to shut up and go away, my neighbour also complained, Rodger and Elina took the matter to hand and told the parents that children are not allowed to run around freely and to do as they wish to do. After that incident silence was truly golden.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 am 
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ditto !!! Thank you , tent dweller !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next