Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time to Upington airport from Twee rivieren
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The service station on 2R does not open until a while after the gates do, so I would reinflate the tyres the night before if you are staying there Judik.

Post subject: Re: Time to Upington airport from Twee rivieren
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 pm 

Thanks BB,that's great advice

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Post subject: Pretoria to Upington
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 am 

Hi all,

It's been a while since people spoke about the route between Pretoria and Upington and I was hoping someone could give me an update on the condition of the road and the amount of stop/go?

Also, if you have suggestions for alternative/better routes, I would be more than greatful!

Post subject: Stop-go's Cape Town to Upington
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 am 

Any updates on the road works - N7 and other routes?

Post subject: Re: Stop-go's Cape Town to Upington
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Mistral,

When we drove the VanRhynsdorp / Upington road a few weeks ago there were quite a lot of stop goes between VR and Calvinia, calvinia and Brandvlei and Brandvlei and Kenhardt.

We drove down to Van Rhynsdorp via Springbuck and on that part of the N7 there was no road works.

There are two stop go between Upington and Kakamas.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 am 

We've just come back from KTP and rathr returned via Springbok. Going there via Brandvlei, the stop-and-goes were extremely frustrating.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hello

Does anyone know if it is fairly safe (if there is such a thing in South Africa) to drive the CT - Springbok/Upington route on the N7 at night / very early morning around 2 am ?

We are 2 females wanting to leave CT as early as possible in order to still have some time left once arriving at TR. Or is it not really adviseable to drive in the dark / night time ? I am thinking of trucks, roadworks etc.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 pm 

Thanks everyone. :) I think the N7 (Springbok) is the preferred route.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm 

Nicole I don't think this is advisable nowadays for males let alone two females. Let's see what other forum members say.....

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just got back yesterday from a solo trip to KTP - 19 STOP/G's on the way up 2 weeks ago between CT and Upington so on the way back I wrote them all down so here goes - fresh update :D

They start just past Citrusdal after Piekenierskloof Pass and there are 2 long ones there - past all the little farmstalls ) then its clear till just after Vanrhyns Pass going to Nieuwoudville and to Calvinia - 3 bad ones ( 2 had a board saying 20 min waiting time and 1 was a 10 min waiting time )

From Calvinia they start just outside the town at the petrol station and they end about 50kms past Calvinia - 6 of them .....

And then between Brandvlei and Kenhardt - 8

Going up I left Hout Bay at 5.30am and by the time I got to the Calvinia/Brandvlei/Kenhardt ones they were awful because of Friday afternoon traffic - only got through 2 of the 19 without stopping.... Coming home yesterday I left Keimoes at just after 4.30 am and sailed though all of the C/B/K ones and had a short stop at 2 of the others - it was Sunday morning though. Rose said it took them 3 1/2 hours longer on this past Friday to get up to Upington.......

They are also still working on the bridges at Keimoes so there are 2 short stop/go's there but just to let the traffic over the bridges - going up I hit them at about 5pm on Friday night so had to stop but came through them on Sat afternoon no problem so I think it really depends on what time you hit them .....

The N7 seems like a better bet even though it is about 150km longer and there are all the trucks going to Namibia ....

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the detailed update Scouter. :thumbs_up: Since we were planning to take this route in a few weeks time it is bad news! The question now is what is the situation with the Springbok - Pofadder route? Does anybody know how many STOP/Go's are on that route?

One other option may be to leave the R27 at Nieuwhoudtville, take the R357 to Brandvlei. First 65 km seems to be tar, the last 120 km is gravel but it is 37km shorter than the R27, seems to skip the 6 stops to Brandvlei. Anybody done this route recently?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
WKK no stop goes between Pofadder and Springbok. They are working on the Kakamas bridge and there is a stop go and then between Keimoes and Kakamas there's two stop go.

We've done the Nieuwoudtsville Loeriesfontein a few weeks ago and the tar road is not that bad, just a few potholes.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks a lot lion queen! According to my calculations the Pofadder route is 108km longer than the Brandvlei one FROM LANGEBAAN. 995km vs 1103 km. That is if you skip Clanwilliam, do the Ratelfontein dirt road from Graafwater to Traval - saving 34km.

Given the fact that I then know there are minimal stops it seems to be the better route at this point in time. The forumites on this forum make it an invaluable tool to do one's planning to the KTP. Thank you :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
SO and I drove the gravel road from Bitterfontein to Pofadder end June. If you don't mind traveling an odd 290 km without a town and no cell phone reception this is another possibility. At that stage the road has just been graded and it was a real pleasure to drive!!!

Enjoy your trip planning!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The best route is via Springbok. (80km's longer on my map than via Calvinia)
The dirt road from Loeriesfontein to Brandvlei is not a good option. (sharp rock that can damage your tires and not many vehicles travel on that road)
We have done the R358(dirt road from Bitterfontein to Pofadder) one time this year. It was in a very good condition, it is a very flat road with no passes and is 268km long, but there are no cellphone reception. The distance via the R358 is the same as via Calvinia.
Now after the rains I would say go the Springbok way and enjoy the flowers while missing the stop and go's. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next