Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 pm 

Hi Fynbos

We camped at Mokala a week ago. When I return home I will upload pics of both the camping area. Neither have power points, or any electricity. Motswedi has only six sites, each with own bathroom and little kitchen area, fridge and gas cooking plates. Really lovely. The hot water is solar powered.

read more here

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:06 pm 

Hi Div

For sure my next stop will be at Mokala. It's sound like this camp is just what we need. Thanks for all your information and I am looking forward to see the photo's . Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:51 am 

mh baer you said that when having extra time one can enter at Lilydale gate and drive inside the park down to Mosu lodge but according to the map i have there are no gravel roads between these 2 camps?

If going to Mosu lodge one can only anter at Mosu lodge gate? Am a bit confused now. :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Alf

I visited Mokala three times earlier this year, each time just for a week-end staying at Mosu lodge. In February the road was still closed between Lilydale and Mosu lodge but during my last visit it was open. Upon arrival at Reception (my last visit) a new map was issued to me showing the dirt road between die two camps. On the Saturday I took a drive to Lilydale and it was a pleasant drive. Not much animal/bird life but nice open space for a relaxing drive (unlike the bushes of Mokala).

Later today I am leaving once again for the week-end at Mosu lodge and I do plan to enter via the Lilydale gate. After the week-end I'll provide you with first hand experience.

Untill nex week.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am 

Thank you so much WillemK. Enjoy your weekend.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:44 pm 

Alf, you can definitely enter at the Lillydale gate and will go to the Lillydale reception which is about 5km away.You can drive to Mosu through the park as the roads are connected. The Sanparks website is not yet updated.It is scenic drive to take and sightings with a bit of luck may be very good.Especially when you enter the Mokala section and Kameeldoring loop you may see Buffalo, Roan , Sable or the elusive Rhinos. Enjoy your trip.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Div wrote:
The Sanparks website is not yet updated.

Wonder how long it will take for them to update and give accurate info for those that needs it. Not a very good advertisement giving the time lapse with outdated information! :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just returned from Mokala after a week-end spent at Mosu lodge (my fourth visit to the park since Feb 2011).

On Friday afternoon I entered at Lilydale gate but I had not idea one should report to Lilydale reception to get a permit before you can start the drive to Mosu lodge. I told Tess at Mosu lodge that a notice should be put on the forum or at the gate that a person should first report to Lidydale reception to receive a permit before continue to Mosu lodge. Or even the staff at Lilydale (answering the gate) should explain why one should first report to Lilydale for a permit before heading to Mosu lodge. I told them I have a booking at Mosu lodge and could not understand why I should report to Lilydale as no reason was provided. Only now I do understand and I'll do it defintely next time.

More info for first time visitors/using the Lilydale gate:

1. The 16km dirt road towards Lidydale gate was in excellent condition as it seems it was graded (hope it is the right word) last week. This morning there was already signs of corrugation as there are a lot of sand on the road. I can see why it could be a problem but I am sure it can be worst than some of the road of the Kgalagadi. And I just love the Kgalagadi.

2. The turn off to Mosu lodge is just a few meters after the Lilydale entrance gate to the left. After about 4km you'll find the previous formal gate and border fence between Lilydale and Mokala which is now open. After another few kms you'll find the first waterhole and 4km after the border fence you'll find the second waterhole and the start of the Kameeldoring and Doornlaagte loop. Just follow the road signs to Mosu lodge.

3. All the road in Mokala is open and driveable with an ordinary sedan motor. Some of the roads in the park were also graded.

4. Looks like a new picnic place is being built at the turn of the Kameeldoring loop.

5. I was disappointed with the level of water in the Stofdam (the waterhole for the bird hide) but I got a few nice photos. Not sure why the water level is so low - drought? But I saw some water/mudd areas in the field.

Despite my initial ignorance - I really didn't know that one should report to Lilydale first), I had once again a very successful visit with sightings of almost all the "big" game. I hope I can start the "WillemK trip report - let the photos tell the story: Mokala edition" very soon.

Lesson learned - report to Lilydale reception for a permit if you enter at Lilydale gate before driving to Mosu lodge.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 pm 

Thank you willemk. Your information is very helpfull. Now i also know to report to reception for the permit before going straight down to mosu lodge

Post subject: mokala self-catering advice needed
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm thinking about going to Mokala in late October. My first choice would have been the Haak-en-Steek cottage, but I'm not comfortable about staying there all on my own (I would have preferred it with campers at the camp sites, as it used to be :( ).

However, I recall reading someplace that it's a LONG walk from the car park to any of the self-catering units at Mosu. Is this correct? I don't do well with schlepping luggage etc long distances, so could use some advice on this.

Perhaps the new units at Lilydale might be my best option? How far is Lilydale from the "action"? From the map it looks to be a very long way both from the (main) gate (is there another gate?) and most of the tourist roads. The chalets (CH3D) look very nice. Do they all have views over the river?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: Re: mokala self-catering advice needed
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:48 am 

Hi Arks,

It is a distance from the parking area to the chalets at Mosu but a trolley is provided to cart your luggage.

We have not stayed at Lilydale but the two sections are now connected and we saw a fair bit of game on the Lilydale side too.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am 

Indeed you can't park your park next to the chalet at Mosu, but with the trolley it is easy to do. And it's not so far and they are so friendly there you will get help with schlepping your luggage on the trolley without any doubt. I really enjoyed Mokala, little newest gem of San parks. And I actually loved it that cars were out of side and people had to walk to get to the reception, restaurant etc or for a social visit to another chalet.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:roll: We carried all our "stuff" down to our chalet - only realised much later on that there were trollies available for this! :doh: However, staff at Mokala are super efficient and helpful. They let us park our bakkie close to one of the offices so that we could plug in our Fridge/Freezer into an electric plug via a long lead. Kudos to Mokala from us! :-)

Accommodation at Mokala - first class! (That's if you survive the road to get there! :tongue: ) We only stayed for one night but in hindsight, wish we had booked an extra night or two! Def going to look into coming back for a longer stay!

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Duke, Jonkers and Munchkin :thumbs_up:

I've now booked a Lilydale CH3 chalet, they really look lovely (and you can park right there :wink: ). Has anyone stayed at Lilydale?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am 

arks, we stayed at Lilydale at the end of April, and loved the camp. We were at the new cottages to the north of the reception area, almost at the end, (the one that we stayed in is newly renovated after burning down some time ago and the view over the river is fantastic. The cottages are well equipped and we saw lots of birds around the camp. As far as game is concerned we did some of the drives in Lilydale section and saw quite a lot of antelope, but it doesn't take long to get to Mokala section, it is a lovely drive.
This is the view from our chalet:
_MG_1695 by Boskat/Ramkat, on Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next