Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Spekboom Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am 
Guru
Guru

Ah, yes, I suppose that would be because they've learnt that there are bones to be had...
Lucky you, for having visited all those places.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 am 

We plan on spending 3 nights in Addo and all three of them in the new Spekboom camp. We're driving from Somerset West so can take limited amount of "camping equip" with us. What is advisable to take ? Apart from the obvious (torches, food, firewood/charc, blitz, etc). Is there adequate bedding ? Braai grid and eating utensils ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
P

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm 

Hi PCS and all others.

I have just recently joined this forum and this is my first post.

My wife and I spent a night at Spekboom on Wednesday 13/07. It was absolutely brilliant. You really do not need to take too much with you. There is enough bedding, utensils etc. It was really cold the night we were there but with the duvet and extra blanket provided per bed it was warm enough.

One of the big surprises for me was that the light in the tent and outside were powered. I am not sure if it is an invertor or what powers them but it makes it very convienient. You will still need a torch to walk around at night and if it is a powerful beam you can use it for searching the waterhole.

We watched the sunset and sunrise sitting at the hide. All the day visitors are gone by then so it is nice and quiet. The tents are nicely spaced so you sometimes just hear the other people but it feels like it is just you is the bush. Wonderful.

The only "complaint" was trying to getting the warm water working in the wash basin to do the dishes. We had to run the shower to get the heater to switch on. Not a big issue.

We have booked 3 tents for two night in December 16 and 17. We can't wait

Regards
Mark

ps I could add a lot more but i don't want to make the post too long. Ask if you want to know anything else

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 am 

Thanks for replying, Markcol.

I made my booking and I see on the confirmation letter it clearly states "bedding and utensil box supplied" so I guess it's a case of "koplig - check ! Belaclava - check !! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am 

One of the things that i took with that was a great help was a gas bottle. I helps for making coffe or tea without having to keep a fire going.

I also took a 5 liter water bottle to keep water at the tent. It saves you having to walk to the kitchen area each time you need water.

Enjoy it and let us know after you were there

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 pm 

Hi all

So we just got back from our trip during which we spent 3 great nights at Spekboom !

Confusion in securing tent no. 5 :

When I booked in July, I immediately called Addo reception and booked tent no. 5. During the time awaiting our trip, I confirmed this twice with reception. When we arrived at reception, there was some confusion , because our booking for no. 5 was still fine, but the reception personell confirmed after some discussions and calls that there were already people in no. 5 ! It turned out that a group that booked 1,2,3 and 5 arrived to find all 5 empty and took 1,2,3 and 4. Then, when the no. 4 guests arrived, they proceeded to take no. 5 ! Luckily the no. 4 guests (who were now in our no. 5) could be contacted and they moved back to no. 4, as the group had already departed.

So after sorting that out, we drove slowly down to Spekboom while tent no. 5 was being cleaned. When we arrived at Spekboom we saw that there was already one other car. We parked and started to unload. When we got to tent no. 5, we found these guests already making themselves comfortable in no. 5 !!!

So, again, I explained my story about the booking and the confusion and the 1.5 hours spent in reception to secure tent no 5 and pointed out to the circled number on the paper slip that they received at reception, which was number 2 ! They were very friendly and apologetic and claimed that they thought it to be a first-come-first-serve setup.

So FINALLY we were able to unpack in the tent that we fought so hard for !, Uncap a beer and relax at the hide !

Note to Addo : This confusion can be avoided with 5 small locks on the tent zips. If your key (that you got at reception) does not fit your lock, it is not your tent !

Otherwise there was no problem and we got along really well with both parties, the one that had to vacate no. 5 and the one that confused no.5 with no. 2.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:28 pm 

Hi all

So we just got back from our trip during which we spent 3 great nights at Spekboom !
(Part 2)

The animals :

We heard a lot of jackal and hyena during the night and other guests claimed to have heard lion very far away. After dark, the only nocturnal animal we saw at the water hole was a hare. During the early afternoons, we interrupted our drives to have a look at the waterhole and was more than once rewarded with a huge herd of elephant shouldering each other to get to the small waterhole. It becomes a splashing chaos in that waterhole as they drink, splash and play ! :D There are a lot of warthogs in Addo and it was fun watching the poor thirsty warthogs trying to get a drink while the elephants are there. As soon as they get a gap, they approach the water only to be chased away by the next elephant.

Tent 5 is about 3 - 5 meters from the fence and we were wakened one night by elephant breaking branches right next to the fence ! :shock:

The last morning while packing up, my wife saw movement at the fence, and looking up, a hyena was looking back at her. We quietly moved to the waterhole and waited for 4 hyenas to come along and drink and then move on again. This was about 05:50 and at that time the only other guest (we were only three guests in the whole camp that night) was already in his car (we heard the engine start). So we were the only two people in the whole camp watching 4 hyenas 10meters from us in the drizzle rain. That was amazing ! :dance:

We saw rooikat (caracal) twice in the same spot between Spekboom gate and the first turnoff to Mpunzi Loop. So we suspected the caracal to drink at the waterhole at some stage, but never saw that happening.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hi all

(Part 3)

Spekboom camp :

This is a fantastic camp ! You don’t realize how close the tents are to each other because of the privacy of the dense spekboom bush and the quietness of the guests. Only when you hear the rough zips of those canvas tents, you realize there is actually another tent within 5 to 10 meters from you. Despite a full camp, we never heard other voices, unless someone is having a chat at the ablutions, but after 19:00 and before 06:00 it’s dead quiet.

The ablutions are very comfortable, the fridge adequate and the 2 plate gas stove works very well. Each tent is equipped with a plastic crate with stainless steel (ss) plates, bowls, cutlery, ss glasses, ss mugs and ss wine glasses as well as bottle opener and braai tongs, a small container of dish washing liquid and a single drying cloth. Outside is a braai, a steel grid table and a black fire kettle. When taking the kettle to the gas stove to boil water, be sure to take along matches as well as your drying cloth. The kettle handle gets too hot to handle ! :) I took my own braai grid because I remember from our previous visit at Main Camp safari tents, that the grid fixed to the braai was filthy to say the least (I got the staff to clean it and even after that decided not to braai at all as it was still filthy) – but that’s usually the problem with camp braais, so nothing unusual. :?

The foot paths between the tents and ablutions are very narrow in between the dense bush. Sometimes it formes a tunnel in which only one person can pass at a time. Which becomes quite eerie at night even with a flash light ! :shock: Next time we may consider taking along a small bucket with lid for those middle of the night ablutions !

The single staff member in the camp during the day cleans up in general around your tent and cleans the braai. He even washed my braai grid every day , as well as any dishes left outside the crate ! He got a good tip ! :dance:

One afternoon we set off for an afternoon drive. It was hot so we left all tent flaps open…big mistake ! One moment the sky is blue, the next it is dark with thunder clouds !! So when we got back our beds were a bit damp… So always close all tent flaps ! When it rains in Spekboom, the only place to be is in the tent, in the shower or in the toilet. Rain usually go hand in hand with wind, so the canvas roof over the tent stoep is a bit useless as the wind drives the rain in.

The negative of the camp is the close proximity of a densely populated area :( to the north of Addo town, about 3.5km in a straight line from Spekboom, with no physical barrier like bush or hill between. So while sitting at the hide watching the waterhole, the orange lights of the town are clearly visible in the distance across from the waterhole. Unfortunately 2 of our 3 nights were a Friday and a Saturday and especially Saturday, the far-off doef-doef music in the town started at around 18:00 and when I awoke at about 02:00 it was still going. While it is not very loud, it is constantly there on the edge of your hearing…I must stress that this was minor and I would not let it stand in the way of a future visit !

Post subject: Re: Comments on Addo and Spekboom Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there All.

Is this the only Spekboom thread? I have just booked for Spekboom for this weekend. A spur of the moment decision, but we got a tent for the 14th and 15th.

Any knowledge and wisdom to share? This will be our third time to Addo, but out first to Spekboom. We are very excited to be "out" in the game area.

Anything to remember or take with, look out for etc?

We are looking forward to this weekend and can't wait. We might end up booking 1 for Friday night in Bontbok.

Thanks and regards

Post subject: Re: Comments on Addo and Spekboom Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay in Spekboom. The camp really is very different and a real “bush camp”

Also, besides the already setup tent, and comfortable tents, it still provides the real camping experience, complete with long walks to ablutions. As previously stated, the walk is through the bush, and we found it to be a little adventurous at night. We loved it and thought that it added to the charm of the place.

We have camped in the main rest camp on 2 previous occasions, and although you hear the Jackals cries from there, and the occasional hyena, the experience in Spekboom is totally different, as the Jackal cries are closer, and all around. Also, on Sunday night, I could have sworn that there was a Hyena just a few meters away from the tent.

The only negative, was that the bottom zip on our tent. Number 4, was broken and we could not close it. We had a bit of a tussle with 3 mice on Sunday night who kept coming into the tent, and they were not at all afraid of us. Luckily, tent number 3 was vacant, we moved there, and sorted it out with reception the next morning.

We loved this camp and look forward to trying it in the summer.

Post subject: spekboom in june
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

Hi all. We are thinking of spending a couple of nights in Spekboom camp in June. Would you advice this? How cold would it be? If we loaded up with extra hot water bottles and blankets would we be ok?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

MARIE

Post subject: Re: spekboom in june
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Marie

We were in Spekbook last year June/July. We would say go ahead. It was cold, but not too bad. There were extra blankets under the beds and we did not find the need for hot water bottles.

The camp is spread out and its quite a walk to the ablutions. The night time visits to the bathrooms were very cold, and it was very wet when we were there, so carried in lots of mud with us into the showers.

Due to the cold and wet, a maximum of one other tent was taken during out time there, so it was creepy as well.

The tents do a great job of keeping out the cold, and the extra blankets provided were enough.

We would love to do it again.

So, bring a good rain coat and extra clothes in case yours get wet.

You will enjoy it, even though it might be cold and wet, of that I have no doubt.

Post subject: Spekboom Camp Addo
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:37 pm 

Spekboom camp in Addo. Have there been any special animal sightings from the viepoints inside the camp?

Post subject: Re: Spekboom Camp Addo
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 pm 

We had some of the most spectacular encounters with ellies in Spekboom. We purposefully chose a tent near the perimeter and I literally eyeballed a HUGE ellie... my skin was tingling. As you sleep at night you hear them rumble, wander and munch on vegetation on the perimeter...and from the hide at night we saw a herd of at least 40 ellies at the waterhole.

If you stay over at Spekboom (highly recommended), the gate by the side of the toilet block is a great viewing space late at night to see owls, ellies and watch other nocturnal creatures.

Bird life at Spekboom is great too, from thick knees to sunbirds.

We also saw zebra, warthog and deer.I would return there in an instant if I could. We stayed 3 nights at Spekboom but would gladly do longer.