Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:29 pm 

Hi all ,

After 2 short visits to the park, it has become one of a my favorites, a place I immediately start missing as soon as I leave.

I've stayed in Leokwe and LFTC, both are amazing and very different.

I would strongly advise doing the sunset drive. We saw a lot of game (including a leopard!!), but the scenery is already more than enough, and being outside and driving seldom driven roads is just magical.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 am 

Looking forward to visiting Mapungubwe in late August. 3 things:

- is that informative centre now open? Earlier posts suggest it's not, yet.

- are the heritage walks to Mapungubwe hill reliably held daily? It's an important reason for us to go.

- can anyone suggest a nice place to break the trip from Joburg? Any particular guesthouse/B&B in a cute dorpie near the N1 up there?

Thanks, Jeroen

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 am 
Guru
Guru

Looking forward to visiting Mapungubwe in late August. 3 things:

- is that informative centre now open? Earlier posts suggest it's not, yet.

The Mapungubwe Interpretation Center is not open yet; however we are hoping to open the center later this year;

- are the heritage walks to Mapungubwe hill reliably held daily? It's an important reason for us to go.

As part of Mapungubwe activities we do provide game drive to Mapungubwe hill and simultaneously with the Mapungubwe Story telling.

- can anyone suggest a nice place to break the trip from Joburg? Any particular guesthouse/B&B in a cute dorpie near the N1 up there?

You can drive straight from JHB to Mapungubwe within 6-7 hours provided you live in the morning.

Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cassius wrote:

Please post recommendations via private message :wink: Thank you

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:11 pm 

Krokodile wrote:
Things may have changed now, but we eventually did get a response from the park advising us that walking trails were not being run as they had no guide in place to run them. .

I WILL GLADLY help them out...

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 am 

Hi

Can anyone please confirm if there are gas braais for hire at the picnic spot?

Regards

Post subject: Mapungubwe - an absolute treasure
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 pm 

We have recently returned from a week in Mapungubwe which I think was one of the most magical in my entire life. The combination of a wilderness area, the cultural heritage aspects and extraordinarily beautiful scenery was such a gift - definitely another visit from us on the cards - it was worth every minute of the drive up from Cape Town. We stayed at all 3 camps, each one different, but with their own charm. I would also like to compliment the staff we interacted with at the park; their helpfulness, kindness and warmth was unsurpassed - Mr Madau, the Hospitality Manager, Cedric our guide, the two ladies at reception (forgive me as I can't find the paper I wrote your names on) and Leonard who gave us the most wonderful, quite unforgettable morning.

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe - an absolute treasure
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Indiajane, I am so happy that you enjoyed this mystical place. :D

I am going for a brief break next month and I can't wait. I am taking 2 Mapungubwe newbies with me and I am curious about their reaction.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Indiajane, glad you enjoyed your stay at Mapungubwe. I have never been there but it is on my list, sounds great.

I will pass your comments and compliments on - thanks for posting :thumbs_up:

Well Done staff at Mapungubwe :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Indiajane - you have discovered one of the"hidden" jewels not only of Limpopo but also of SANParks! Glad that you enjoyed it :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:11 am 

IndiaJane we also just returned after visiting for a week and we did not want to leave. :( I can not remember another time spend anywhere more magical. we decided next it will be 3 weeks :roll: and Vembe camp is on the map. Will my 80 year old mum manage to get to the unit? And tshugulu lodge is on the cards, if only for a night. we stayed for the first time in Leokwe and what a awesome surprise. elephants at our unit investigating our car. magic. did you see the mapungubwe photo's on the blog?

ps. Rosemary, I did complete the guest feedback form. At reception Winnie Sebatje is an absolute jewel and and at LFTC it is Frieda from the cleaning crew. both worth gold.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 am 

I have just returned from Mapungubwe, unfortuantely I was disturbed by a few things. There were a lot of shots being fired in the western part, and not immediately after each other so that I could assume it was smugglers coming throught the limpopo being chased off by park personnel. The shots were at times half an hour apart, which to me indicates poaching and not hitting the target. A total of 7 shots within 3 hours. When park personnel are questioned the reply is "oh we heard it and we are investigating". Well hello, its the next day, the guys with the guns are LONG GONE!!!!

The tree rehabilitation and reintroduction has gone for a ball of chalk, this area is fenced with electric fence, but somehow the ellies during October 2011 broke in and to date nothing has been done to get them out of this area or fix the fencing. The damage is to say the least disheartening. There seems not to be one tree that is not damged and split and broken in half. I wonder what National Geographic would have to say about this, as they funded this project??

In all my time in the western part, not once did I come across a ranger, but the personnel in the camp's have acces to drive around in the park vehicles.

Why is there no visible policing by rangers in the park?

I am to say the least very disturbed as to what this park is turning into and on hearing last week that Mapungubwe is at threat to losing is World Heritage Status, I fear this park will no longer be a national park, just a piece of barren land. I would love SANParks thoughts on this!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm 

Bushbarmy, we spent a very short time in the Western part of the park and I agree with you that the fence situation is very distressing - it all seems rather pointless actually as there is no obvious upkeep to the fences and both animals and humans can come in and out easily. There is a marked difference between the Western and Eastern parts of the park - we noticed that, but as the bulk of our time was spent in the Eastern park, which had staff visibility, with exceptional service (and we had no problems in either part) - our experience was very different. I can't imagine that Sanparks will take the coal mining situation lightly as so much has been invested in the park?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 pm 

IndiaJane

It is so sad really as Mapungubwe is really one of the finest SANP jewels. During a drive, we came across a local gentlemen on his bicycle on his way to work on one of the neighbouring farms between the east and west, and seemed that how dare we inform him that it is not allowed nevermind the dangers that go with it. The fact that the Den Staat road runs right through the park, leaves access to the park open and free 24/7. There is absolutely no control in this park and it seems as if nothing is being done about it.

I love Mapungubwe and it runs in my veins, however, as my previous statement, I fear with the situation currently which is going unmanaged, there will be no park in the future.

I must say the service in the east is impeccable and the service from the camps in west is also wonderful, and it seems that the tourism side of Mapungubwe is very well managed, but the conservation leaves very much to be desired. is it that these services are not getting the assistance they need in order to do their jobs or what seems to be the problem.

Conservation is ultimately the goal at the end of the day, preserving this jewel for generations to come.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I spent five nights at Mapungubwe in April (2 at Leokwe and 3 at the tented camp) and agree that it's a gem of a park, even tho as I drive a sedan, the roads that I could drive were limited — but even so, I had a very rewarding stay. I also agree that Frieda at the tented camp is a SANParks treasure — what a smile!

One day, exploring the far reaches of the eastern part of the park, I took a road that I later realised was likely a 4x4 road (altho it was a lot more sedan friendly than most of the roads at Marakele) and ended up at Zebra Pan, where I saw the following ruins. Does anyone know what they are/were?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next