Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roa
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm 

I use viamichelin.co.uk to plan my trips in Europe and Engeland and it works just as well for South Africa. Very useful site.

I have obtained the following distances from Benoni:

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 560 Km

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Klaserie, Orpen Gate to Olifants: 588 Km

Via Polokwane, Tzaneen, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 612 Km.

Via Nelspruit, Skukuza to Olifants: 573 Km

I will recommend going via Polokwane even if it is slightly longer. Better roads by far and you pay less on toll fees.

Last edited by Madalla on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roa
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We just(29 April) came back from Phalaborwa via Abel Erasmus, Orichstad Lydenburg, machadadorp. The only stretch of road that was badly potholed was the stretch from Lydenburg to the N4 at Bambi/ Macahadaorp. The rest was in reasonable condition. Just take it slowly through that area and you will be fine

Post subject: Re: Jo"burg to Phalarborwa
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We travel regularly to Phala, and always take the N1 from Joburg.
We turn of near Polokwane on the R71 signed Tzaneen.
We then follow the R71 to Tzaneen and through it, and then all the way to Phala.
There were stop and goes up through the mountain road last time we went, but we got through no probs.

Other people will have alternate routes I'm sure.

Travel safe and have a wonderful time!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 am 

Traveling from PTA to Phalaborwa is a holiday on its own. Departing early, taking the alternative route from Bela-Bela to Polokwane gives you the oppertunity to stop at small curio shops, fruit stalls, family run restaurants and pubs. The stories local people can talked about always amaze me - feel so out-of-the-city!!! Sleeping over in Magoebaskloof, having a braai, tuck in early, getting up early and you know - you are less than 2 hours from the KNP. Breakfast in Phalaborwa, missing the early morning rush at the gate, set you up to relax and enjoy a repeated experience in KNP when entering, at last. You get so much more to make your trip part of your holiday experience. I definately propose the alternative route from Bela-Bela to Polokwane!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shikaari,
We travel the road from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa every alternative weekend, and can give you the following advise.
If you take the alternative route as was suggested earlier, you will save a lot on toll fees. That road is very quiet and there is no problems at all, the road is nice and wide and a pleasure to drive. (Toll fees are now almost R120). It takes the same time (for us as we are not usually speeding, which one tend to do on a highway). It takes us approximately 6 to 7 hours depending on the stop-go sections (which there are 5 of now, first one being at Moria and the last outside Tzaneen). If you are lucky you will stop at the first one (about 15 minutes) and then go immediately through the second one, etc, etc. I cannot see how the roadworks at the stop-go sections are going to be finished within the next 4 months at least, as there is still a lot of work to be done.

The road via Lydenburg takes about an hour or two longer as there is some serious potholes and we lost a tyre and rim there one night. You need to drive very carefully between Lydenburg and Ohrigstad because of this. Then there is also 2 stop-go sections between Hoedspruit and Phalaborwa.

So my advise is, take the Polokwane road. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sammuri, the alternative route can really be seen as a highway, especially looking at the road condition as well... what I would suggest is to take the highway and get off at Warmbaths (Bela-Bela) and take the alternative road from there. If you feel more comfortable with the highway, it is fine as well. We prefer the alternative route as we usually leave Johannesburg at about 20h00 on a Friday night and then there is a lot of traffic on the highway up to Naboomspruit (Modimole... I think :redface: ) where the alternative route on the other hand is very quiet. I see you are traveling on the 21st so I presume you are going through the day and it is the middle of the week, so the Highway would not be so busy. I hope you enjoy your stay in Kruger and please supply us with a Trip report on your return :pray:

Post subject: Re: Fastest Route Middleburg MP to Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am 

N4 from Middelburg to Belfast, take R540 via Dullstroom, to Lydenburg.
From Lydenburg R533, via Ohrigstad, and Abel Erasmus Pass travel towards Hoedspruit, but before you get there:
Turn right on the R531, which reads Orpen, Klaserie which will eventually bring you to Orpen Gate.
It takes us 5 hours via this route to get there from Pretoria (without breakfast stops).
My son has just come back from KNP, and he says that road is in the best condition. Other options are slow with 80km/h speed limits through villages and lots of frustrating slow moving vehicles, and domestic animals on the road.
You won't get better if you're after a scenic route. :D

Post subject: Re: Fastest Route Middleburg MP to Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Absolutely an excellent route, Lonehill Birders. :thumbs_up: Just remember, Anna, that Lydenburg has now changed name to Mashishing, with some of the signs reading Lydenburg, and the others Mashishing. :?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 am 

An update, having just returned from 11 days in KNP, towing a caravan. We took the N4 from Pta to Nelspruit, then up to White River - Hazyview - entering at Phabeni Gate. I would recommend this route, since the Nelspruit - Hazyview road is in excellent condition. A few road repairs are under way between White River and Hazyview with 2 slight stop/go delays, but nothing to worry about. Apparently the real delays are throught Bushbuck Ridge after Hazyview, so entering at Phabeni and using the excuse to drive through the park up to Satara makes sense.

Stick to the R40 up to Hazyview and then to Phabeni or even Kruger gate. Don't even think about using the direct route from White River to Numbi or Phabeni which is in a terrible state - potholes, numerous delays and very poor signage to KNP.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:10 am 

Carolynn,

The trip from Pretoria to Malelane should take around 4 hours. The new northern bypass at Nelspruit saves a bit of time, but give yourself 4hours, which includes a leg stretch along the way. The road is very good all the way, although friday afternoon's could geet a bit busy. Remember to budget around R150-R200 for Toll Fees! :shock:

Shortly after the Machadodorp Toll Plaza the road splits. You could either go via Schoemanskloof, or through Waterval Boven. I would definitely suggest the Schoemanskloof road. Much better road!

*G

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
carolynn wrote:
Hullo- what is the travelling time from Pretoria to Malelane and is it an easy road all in good condition, but busy I suppose? We need to find an alternative route from PE as going through the Free State is not on anymore, roads I believe are in a bad state? Can anyone comment please? Thank you.

The travelling time from Pretoria to Malelane is about 3.5-4 hours, depending how you drive; the last time I drove it (a few months back) it was in fine condition; the N4, like most of our N-roads, is usually in top form. Since they opened the double lane for most of the way, travelling it can be busy but at least you know you should have an incident-free trip.

I'm not sure which roads in the Free State you are referring to, Carolynn, but the N1 has always been in excellent condition from Colesberg through to Johannesburg. By P.E. I assume you mean Port Elizabeth? If that is the case, I would meet up with the N1, drive from there to Jo'burg, then via the N12 to Witbank/Middelburg, and down the N4 to Malelane. There are still restrictive roadworks around the East Rand for several kilometres on the N12, but if you drive them carefully and slowly, the road soon opens up to an easy drive to Witbank.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
What's best route to Lydenburg after N4... via Belfast or Machadorp on the R36?

Hi Graham

It al depends on when you travel Friday/Sunday afternoon I would go via Machadodorp any other time via Belfast I did both in the last month Via Machadodorp - tollgate via Belfast 2 towns ??

Post subject: Groblersdal to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hi

We are planning to visit Kruger (Mopani) in June next year. We will be travelling from Groblersdal (not our home town) since we have an appointment there.

I do not want to scramble for time and since I do not know the area I would love if someone could give me the average travel time and best route from Groblersdal to Phalaborwa and from [b]Phalaborwa to Mopani. I will be towing a trailer.

I need to know if I will need to sleep over before entering Kruger.

At this stage it is still not clear how much time I will have between the towns.

Post subject: Re: Groblersdal to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Terblans (and welcome to the forums if you haven't been welcomed before)

I don't know if it's the shortest/best route but it's one we've recently travelled...

From Groblersdal take the N11 to Marble Hall
From Marble Hall continue on the N11 to Polokwane(Pietersburg) although I think it says N11 Mokopane(Potgietersrus) in Marble Hall - this road will take you to a small town called Roedtan
Once you reach Roedtan turn off the N11 towards Zebediela (R519)
Go through Zebediela and continue on the R519 towards Polokwane
This road will bring you onto the old Pretoria-Polokwane road just before the Shell Ultra City.
Turn right towards Polokwane.
From here you continue on to Tzaneen and Phalaborwa along the normal route.

The general condition of the road is not too bad. It's fairly narrow (not a highway) and you have to keep checking the road signs to make sure you're still on the right route. There aren't many potholes (although keep your eyes open) except a hidden "dip" in the road about 8-10km past Roedtan on the R519 - please don't go fast through that section because you can't see the dip but you will certainly feel it - and if you're doing more than 100kph it could be dangerous.

PS: Also do not drive this route at night - some sections don't have fences and cattle and donkeys might be out on the road.

Hope that helps, drive safe :thumbs_up:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Post subject: Re: Groblersdal to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Terblans I forgot to say that this route is about 400kms from Groblersdal to Phalaborwa gate. From the gate to Mopani is another 80kms or so....

Your total traveling time would be around 5 hours outside the park and another 3 hours inside... so it will all depend on what time you get away at Groblersdal... however my guess would be that you would have to book something outside the park to overnight - that way you won't have any stress to get to the gate in time the following morning. Phalaborwa gate is very close to the town itself and if you stay in town you can be at the gates very early.

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next