Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where have you grown up and where's your roots?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 am 

I was born in the then Rhodesia, stayed in Bulawayo until the age of seven when my folks decided to come down south. We moved to Pretoria where I matriculated and started working but my roots were calling. Returned to Zim to work in the bush, in West Nicholson but was refused when I tried to claim citizenship back and was basically chucked out of the country. Returned to SA (Pretoria) with a very shattered heart and then met SO, both kids were born in Pretoria and 3.5 years back we moved to the Waterberg District in Limpopo so yes - my roots are the bush, and I will always end up selling my soul for a mopani tree.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Parents lived in Kasane - Chobe area of Botswana - so was born in Livingstone, Zambia and went to school in Gwanda, Zimbabwe (Rhodesia then - giving my age away) then they moved to Shakawe - Okovango Botswana and poor unfortunate me ended up going to school in JHB.

My roots seem to be embeded in Northern KZN now - Specificaly Mkuze where all my essential needs are met in one place - large area of water, tiger fishing, elephants swimming, awsome birding etc. - Perfect for a bush baby who is a Jeep Jocky and Skipper by trade.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:37 pm 

Well I was born and brought up in Bury, a small town on the edge of the Greater Manchester conurbation, in the north of England. To the south miles of old, Industrial Revolution, terraced houses and cotton mills. To the north the western edges of the Penines. I still miss the moors. And I'm very proud of my "northern" heritage.

Moved to Accrington, then Burnley, both small mill towns in Lancashire. At 18 off to Pontypridd in South Wales for college and then to Bristol in SW England for 13 years. Been in a small sea-side town near Portsmouth on the south coast of England for 8 years after moving "for love". And I have no plans to move anywhere else.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am one of the Schoemans from Schoemanskloof. :D My grandfather and his brother was the first people there and it was then named after them. My dad however studied in Jhb where he and my mom got married and I was born here in Johannesburg and did my primary school here. Then we moved to Warmbaths (Bela-bela) in 1980 where I did my High School. Studied in Pretoria, got married to the ex and moved later on to Warden in the Free State... (Where I actually learned what it feels like to be cold... brrr). Anyway, moved back to Pretoria after 18 months and ended up back in Johannesburg. Will be moving to Nelspruit within the next few months. My roots... in the lowveld...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born in Benoni, grew up in Boksburg. I love the east of JHB and dont think I couldlive any where else in JHB. I worked In Nelspruit for a couple months and that was the only City I felt i could move to and be happy other than Boksburg.

And Cheetah you have it wrong there is no Burger like a Boksburger 8)

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born in Potchefstroom in 1982. From then onwards we moved a few times, as my late father was a "dominee" in the Gereformeerde Kerk (Reformed Church). For the first 3 years of my life we lived in the very small town of Daniëlskuil in the Northern Cape. All I can remember of this time was that we had a huge property with a fountain where we used to swim, orchards and horses.

In 1985 we moved to Bothaville (I see there are a few old Bothavillers on this Forum-Heksie & Rooies). I went to the Eben Donges Primary School untill grade 4 when we moved again.

Our next stop was Nylstroom, now called Modimolle. I can remember how wonderful the change of scenery was from the mielie-fields in the Free State to the beautiful scenery of the Waterberg mountains! Here I finished primary school as well as secondary school at Hoërskool Nylstroom.

In 2001 I came to Pretoria to study B.Com Accounting at Tuks which I mercifully managed to complete. I later qualified as a Chartered Accountant and have been working in the Pretoria area since then. I live in the older part of Pretoria in the Moot with my lovely wife.

Though I work in the accounting field, my passion has always been nature and conservation. The love for nature runs deep in our family and my first memories are of Kruger holidays as a child. I spend as much time as possible in the bush and also qualified as a field guide. My long-term goal is to slowly move away from the corporate environment towards the nature conservation field and therefore I am currently studying towards a B.Sc as well.

17-18 Dec 2012 Satara
19-22 Dec 2012 Shingwedzi
23 Dec 2012 Punda Maria

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born and bred in Pretoria and went to school in the shadow of Loftus Versfeld, then moved to Johannesburg in 1975 and have been here ever since except for 8 years between Jan 2003 and end 2010.
In this period I was lucky enough to live and work in Atyrau in Kazakhstan, Ulaan Bataar in Mongolia, Beijing in China and the last 3.5 years in Dubai in the UAE. This exposed me to different cultures and especially climates (from -30C to -40C in Mongolia to + 50C in Dubai). Work also took me for short periods to UK, Australia and Papua New Guinea (and I'm hoping for a trip to South America soon :lol: ) It was fascinating to see so much of the world and work with so many different nationalities. It also made me more tolerant of differences and widened my perspective considerably.

I always came home to SA 3 or more times a year and first on the holiday agenda was a trip to Kruger.

Where is my roots? Here in SA definitely but with interesting memories from of all over.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great thread this..

I was born in Port Elizabeth and left South Africa as a small child. I lived in Rome, then Bangkok and then Rome again, before moving to the UK aged 10, where I have lived in rural Somerset, then Birmingham, Cardiff and currently London.

I visit South Africa regularly. My British wife, who has a Xhosa great great grandfather (also from Port Elizabeth coincidentally) loves South Africa luckily, so we have visited twice since getting married last year - she is very jealous that I have both green and red passports!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 am 

I think I am the first one on here from the states born in Las Vegas Nevada USA, but have lived in Orlando Florida USA for 22 years, it is nice to meet all of you from SA. I love your country alot. I hope to get to Kruger in Dec 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born in pretoria we lived their till mid 94 we then moved to tzaneen where I finished my matric in 98, I then studied musical theatre and from their well too many things happened so I landed up in the cape and then back to pretoria where I married my ex husband and then moved back to tzaneen after a year their got divorced and 1st daughter was born, then moved back to the cape then to nelspruit when I finally met my current husband and my second daughter was born, we then moved back to tzaneen and now currently in ermelo! My roots are imbedded in Tzaneen cos somehow I always land up going back their its a beautiful town the rivers, falls, greenery, trees if you haven't been their your missing out and once the people their have accepted you into their community well they will move heaven and earth for you, my whole family still lives their and honestly I dont think they will ever move

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:47 pm 

Well I was born in Augsburg in Bavria (Germany), Then I moved to Cologne. Where I have lived from 1992-2001. Then I lifed from 2001-2003 in Maseru /Lesotho, Then I went back to Germany to cologne. After that I have worked in the National park unteres Odertal, wihich is in Brandenburg (eastern part of Germany) close to the Polish Border. Afterwarrds in 2008 I studied in Trier. Then I made an Internship of the small Island Rügen. Then I moved to Namibia where I have lifed close to Etoscha, in the Tiras Mountains and Sossousvlei. the I moved back to cologbe, writing my BA Thesis, afterwards I start my Master Degree in Greifswald very close to the eastern sea.

So that is my CV in short :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
*Bump topic* :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I was born in Cape Town and grew up there, met SO and married him and moved to Bloemfontein

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Carol g wrote:
I was born in Cape Town and grew up there, met SO and married him and moved to Bloemfontein

And now you have a better rugby team to support :thumbs_up: :D Go Cheetahs :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Isinkwe our rugby team is not doing so well, my SO calls them the Blind team :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next