Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Not one ellie in Addo.
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 pm 

Hi there

On our road trip back to cape town we slept over at the main rest camp in a safari tent. What a lovely evening. Nice braai while looking out over a big waterhole. We heard a hyeana howl rigt next to our tent against the fence at 2 am.

The next morning we travelled from the main rest camp right down to the south gate at the N2 and saw hundreds of elephent dung but not one single ellie. We drove down in about 2.5hours. I was told that there are about 450 ellie in addo. The funny thing is that in that 2.5hours, we saw 5 of addos 9 lions.

I know what most of you all will say and that is that we werent there long enough. I would have liked to stay there longer but couldnt.

Has any one else experienced bad luck like that or what? Afterall it is the addo ELLEPHANT park. The lions were fantastic!

Post subject: Re: Not one ellie in Addo.
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am 

Specially for Nimrod... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh dear, Nimrod,

I am sorry to hear that you did not get your ellies. My sympathy is tapered by your lions :hmz:

most of us do not get lions :wink:

Addo ellies

I do love your attitude 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey hardluck Nimrod but that's what we all love about the bush hey..no guarantees :wink:

This reminds me of a similar story in Addo. Had a friend who went there and didn't see any ellies either. But on the way out he saw one male Ostrich that wouldnt move off the road. He then looked at the bird list and was amazed to see that although he missed all the Ellies he at least saw the only Ostrich in the park. He has told so many people this story of how lucky he was with that Ostrich sighting that I will never tell him that in fact Ostrich is 01 on the Robert's birdlist for South Africa and by his thinking that there are also 435 Brown Hooded Kingfishers and 814 Masked Weavers in the park. :lol:

Nimrod...I hope you saw more than 1 Ostrich ? :wink:

:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Valli Moosa
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 pm 

How long do elephants live???

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 am 
Guru
Guru

Elephants can live to about 60 years old, joanm456. Elephant cows tend to live a bit longer than the bulls because bulls have more opportunity to get injured in fights with rival bulls.

Elephants have only 6 sets of teeth in their mouth. The set in the front gets worn down by grinding the rough vegetation they eat and then the next set moves forward, and so on. Once the last set of teeth has been worn down, the old elephant cannot eat the usual rough vegetation and tends to stick to an area where they can eat soft vegetation like grass and get water. They gradually become weaker and then die.

Post subject: Dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 pm 

Is there any information about a possible dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam? We were in Addo on Saturday (22 April) and saw what appeared to be a dead baby with all the adults surrounding it, stroking it, and trying to get it to stand up. We watched for sometime and I couldn't see any movement from the baby - I was just wondering if there was any news as to how it died or for how long it had been there. Was very saddnening seeing the adults trying to move it, even more so was the loud mourning sound of the adult's low rumblings.

Post subject: Re: Dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Our guide said it got stuck in the mud and couldn't get out. The eles couldn't get it out either. It could have died of exhaustion. The staff pulled the carcass out and left it for the predators.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Ellies, especially tuskers, are usually very docile, well, good humoured. Don't get on their bad side though, that is not smart.

When they block a road just look at what they are doing, and what they look like.
If they are in musth give them room, they can be rather capricious. Just back up a ways, out of their comfortzone, and wait. That zone is less than 100 meters, no need to go halfway back the road. You will see when you are far enough easily, when the ellie starts eating it is relaxed. Wait a bit, and it will wander off in search for more food, and you can pass.

If they are young bulls they can be like kittens, wanting to ambush you, or simply stand in the road and not letting a single car go past. Total fun really. Again, just back off a bit, hunger will strike, and you can pass.

Tuskers are often accompanied by guards, called askari's. Those will simply stand in the road and signal you that his highness is about to pass. And will not go out of the way. If you press them you will get trouble, just like with the Secret Service protecting the president of the US.

So in general, just give them space, but don't be scared of them. I have been almost close enough to them to touch (Eh... Do resist that urge! :lol: ) but always remember that they do weigh 5~6 tonnes, and easily reach 40 km/h. A feeding ellie is mostly a safe ellie.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Dead Elephant in addo
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

Hi there

anyone have any info regarding the dead elephant on the side of the main road in addo np?
went there today and it had its intestines and stuff coming out and tusk area appeared to be gorged..
I cant really tell but it didnt look fresh.

i'l upload pic in a bit.. just need to upload it\\p.s i did look for a thread before posting this but did not find one.

Post subject: Re: Dead Elephant in addo
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 pm 

Must be predators that have opened the stomach? Maybe died from a fight?

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am 

Alan Fogarty shared this info:

The adult bull had been killed in a fight by another bull.

The victorious bull had gored the vanquished in the neck with its tusks. When down, it had stabbed the disabled bull through the base of the neck and into the brain, killing it immediately.

The mutilation was made by Sanparks staff to allow the scavengers and predators an easier access into the carcass.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:58 am 
Guru
Guru

Good morning

The Park can confirm that the elephant was indeed killed in a fight with another bull last weekend. Following SANParks' procedure, Rangers then removed the tusks. This is quite a common occurence, but they say it is the first time they recall such an incident happening this close to a tourist road.

Regards,
Fayroush Ludick - Regional Communications

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13