Skip to Content

Concessions in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
brogan

Concession East of Crocodile Bridge Gate

Unread postby brogan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Has anyone been lucky enough to be in this concession area?
You have to stay in Sishangeni lodge in order to gain access to the concession area.
Does anyone have stories to share regarding this area? Never been there :):)

DinkyBird

Re: concession East of Crocodile Bridge Gate

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am

Brogan, Shishangeni Private Lodge is the one you are asking after.

The others in Kruger are listed here as Luxury Lodges:- link
Sawubona
Dalene

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: concession East of Crocodile Bridge Gate

Unread postby Mgoddard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Brogan, I have stayed at Camp Shonga before.
Its very different to Kruger...they take you for an early morning 3 hr game drive, anything from 2 to 8 people per vehicle (depending on how many guest in camp).
Then back to camp for breakfast and you have the time between breakfast and lunch to yourself before you go for a drive again around 4pm.
The 3 hr sunset drive includes a break with refreshments.
They mostly stay on the roads inside the concession as the only time they venture out is on the morning drive. I was told that they are not allowed to use the Kruger roads after 6pm.
Apart from a few lions on a kill and a vine snake we did not see much else of interest.

Bushbuddies
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rules in Concessions of KNP

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Okay - this is a question SO begged me to ask here on the forums. Does anybody know: What are the rules in regard to going off-road in the concessions in KNP?

We've been to lodges in 3 of the concessions in KNP. In 2010 to the Muluwati Concession, 2011 the Mpanamana concession and 2012 Pafuri/Makuleke concession. When we visited all 3 - all of them stated that they could not drive off-road in the concessions - as it was KNP ground. However, friends of ours were in a concession recently, and told us the guide went off-road more than once, after a good sighting. On one of the concession's websites - they actually advertise blatantly that even though they are in KNP, they can go off-road.

Have the rules changed...? :hmz:
13-19 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
20-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-25 June 2015 - Olifants
26-28 June 2015 - Letaba

13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
14-15 Dec 2015 - Grootkolk
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob
17-18 Dec 2015 - Mata Mata
19 Dec 2015 - Twee Rivieren

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Rules in Concessions of KNP

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm

As far as I know it is not encouraged. However I know it is done, and if so they must immediately take steps to rehabilitate the area they went off road in, and notify section ranger.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

Bushbuddies
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm

johanrebel wrote:The Makuleke is not a concession, it is private land. The Makuleke Community have entered into a contractual national park agreement with SANParks. Off-roading has been allowed for a few years now, but only in certain areas and subject to very strict rules.

True, I do realise Makuleke is not a concession, but during our visit there they actually never went off-road. I did, however, get the feeling that most of the guides were very pro-conservation there.

If I may name names... :whistle:

Lion Sands advertise as follows on their Tinga Lodge (situated in a concession in KNP):
With 5000 hectares/ of wild bush in this private concession within the world-renowned Kruger National Park, you can go exploring off-road and follow the footsteps of the leopard, track down a herd of elephant or simply wait for them to come to you.

Let's assume that the rule stands they are not allowed to go off-road in KNP concessions. We all know it will happen from time to time - it is almost impossible to enforce this strictly. But if one starts advertising it - it is out in the open and definitely happening regularly. I've got no problem with lodges going off-road outside of KNP. But if the land still (kind of) belongs to KNP, rules are in place to protect it, and it should then be enforced.

This is all assuming the rule stands. Does anybody know if there is such a rule?
20-23 June 2015 - Satara
26-28 June 2015 - Letaba

13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Dear All :)

Please see below an extract from the Concessions Manual: Concessions are allowed to drive off road but only under certain conditions.

The Concessionaire will maintain a register and record on a daily basis each off-road driving event that occurs, including all relevant details of the event, as required by SANParks. Failure to maintain the register will be cause for terminating a Concessionaire’s permission to drive off-road.

GUIDELINES
Off-road driving may only be undertaken in the event of a confirmed sighting of elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, buffalo, wild dog, and cheetah;

Off-road driving will not be permitted in areas where Red Data Plant species are known to exist, or in any other areas that SANParks are using for conservation or other management purposes;

Vehicles driving off-road may under no circumstances follow in the tracks of another vehicle;

NO off-road driving will be permitted at river crossings. Concessionaires wishing to drive along riverbeds must develop and carefully manage track spurs into and out of the river(s), which will count as part of the road and track network allocation;

Off-road driving is not permitted in wet conditions, on sodic patches, or duplex soils; and
Any off-road damage to be repaired immediately (compaction reversed, ruts erased)
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Bushbuddies
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you Lesego! That answered my question. I was under the impression that it was not allowed at all in the concessions (just as is the case in the rest of KNP). If they are allowed this (as per the rules), then I have no problem with them advertising it. I do believe it was thoroughly investigated before the rules were laid down, and that the impact was esimated then to be minor. :thumbs_up:
20-23 June 2015 - Satara
26-28 June 2015 - Letaba

13 Dec 2015 - Nossob
16 Dec 2015 - Nossob

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”