Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: road and gate to imbali please
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The easiest gate to Imbali is Orpen, take the turnoff to Talamati. Just a little past Fairfield (on the right) is the turnoff to Hoyo Hoyo and Imbali.

But if you leave early enough you can of course enter at Malelane and drive up from the south.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm 
Or enter at Kruger gate and drive to Imbali on the S36. Good chance of seeing Sable on that road.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We went to Hoyo-Hoyo last year and thoroughly enjoyed it (sister camp to Imbali).
The concession is in a lovely area and game-viewing is excellent! :thumbs_up:
Orpen gate is the closest gate to Imbali.
If you will be leaving early morning from Sandton and driving via Orpen gate - you should be able to reach Imbali at around 1-2pm, and still be in time for your included afternoon drive.

When we went last year, we drove the previous night up to Nelspruit (a mere 3 hrs from Pretoria), and then left the next morning early from Nelspruit, entered at Phabeni and enjoyed the scenic route up to Hoyo-Hoyo.

Hope it helps, and hope you enjoy it! :thumbs_up:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Post subject: Concession East of Crocodile Bridge Gate
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 pm 

Has anyone been lucky enough to be in this concession area?
You have to stay in Sishangeni lodge in order to gain access to the concession area.
Does anyone have stories to share regarding this area? Never been there :):)

Post subject: Re: concession East of Crocodile Bridge Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Was lucky enough to stay there in June 2008, did not see many animals but it was a wonderful stay. I do remember one trip to the "edge" of Kruger, on the corner between the border of RSA and Mozambique. Will try to find pictures to post. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am 

Brogan, Shishangeni Private Lodge is the one you are asking after.

The others in Kruger are listed here as Luxury Lodges:- link

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Brogan, I have stayed at Camp Shonga before.
Its very different to Kruger...they take you for an early morning 3 hr game drive, anything from 2 to 8 people per vehicle (depending on how many guest in camp).
Then back to camp for breakfast and you have the time between breakfast and lunch to yourself before you go for a drive again around 4pm.
The 3 hr sunset drive includes a break with refreshments.
They mostly stay on the roads inside the concession as the only time they venture out is on the morning drive. I was told that they are not allowed to use the Kruger roads after 6pm.
Apart from a few lions on a kill and a vine snake we did not see much else of interest.

Post subject: Rules in Concessions of KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okay - this is a question SO begged me to ask here on the forums. Does anybody know: What are the rules in regard to going off-road in the concessions in KNP?

We've been to lodges in 3 of the concessions in KNP. In 2010 to the Muluwati Concession, 2011 the Mpanamana concession and 2012 Pafuri/Makuleke concession. When we visited all 3 - all of them stated that they could not drive off-road in the concessions - as it was KNP ground. However, friends of ours were in a concession recently, and told us the guide went off-road more than once, after a good sighting. On one of the concession's websites - they actually advertise blatantly that even though they are in KNP, they can go off-road.

Have the rules changed...? :hmz:

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Post subject: Re: Rules in Concessions of KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

As far as I know it is not encouraged. However I know it is done, and if so they must immediately take steps to rehabilitate the area they went off road in, and notify section ranger.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Yes, it's done, but it isn't supposed to be. It isn't KNP land in the strictest sense of the word, but it's up to the concession holders and KNP. Agree with what EJ said. Personally, I think it's wrong

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 am 

Be careful not to confuse the concessions with the private game ranches/reserves where the fences have been removed between them and KNP. In the case of the private reserves, such as Mala Mala ans Sabi Sabi they tend to stick to the roads but if there is a special sighting they are allowed to go off road.

I should have said the rangers are allowed to off road.

Apologies. :redface:

Last edited by pops on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

johanrebel wrote:
The Makuleke is not a concession, it is private land. The Makuleke Community have entered into a contractual national park agreement with SANParks. Off-roading has been allowed for a few years now, but only in certain areas and subject to very strict rules.

True, I do realise Makuleke is not a concession, but during our visit there they actually never went off-road. I did, however, get the feeling that most of the guides were very pro-conservation there.

If I may name names... :whistle:

Lion Sands advertise as follows on their Tinga Lodge (situated in a concession in KNP):
Quote:
With 5000 hectares/ of wild bush in this private concession within the world-renowned Kruger National Park, you can go exploring off-road and follow the footsteps of the leopard, track down a herd of elephant or simply wait for them to come to you.

Let's assume that the rule stands they are not allowed to go off-road in KNP concessions. We all know it will happen from time to time - it is almost impossible to enforce this strictly. But if one starts advertising it - it is out in the open and definitely happening regularly. I've got no problem with lodges going off-road outside of KNP. But if the land still (kind of) belongs to KNP, rules are in place to protect it, and it should then be enforced.

This is all assuming the rule stands. Does anybody know if there is such a rule?

19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
Pardon me for continuing but why are people so upset about other people getting out of their cars at a non designated place? After all, they are the people that run the risk of being attacked by a wild animal. Are we really concerned about the well being of those people. What is the real motive behind all the rant and rave about people getting out of their cars and/or driving off road? Has the fact that you have seen a person standing at a bush doing 'number one' where there were no animals, really diminished your enjoyment of a park?

Before you throw stones the size of soccer balls at me, I must say that I am totally against everything mentioned above. But still, I fail to see a proper reason.

I would say that if we expect a pristine environment and to see a person in the veld, it constitutes visual pollution.

Yes.
I do care for the fact that seeing them gives me angst which detracts from my enjoyment of my holiday.
If you get enough people breaking rules then no doubt there is a possibility of punitive measures being brought in to deal with the problem which may impact negatively on everyone else, including me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is all about common decency and respect for wildlife. And if not adhering to these ethics, then one way or the other it will have a influence on the enjoyment.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

Agreed. Firstly and most importantly it is about respect for the environment and the damage caused by off-road driving. It will also most certainly affect me and no doubt the average tourist.