Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: My top 3 leopard sightings in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 am 

Meandering mouse, looking at those photos of the mating pair got me thinking about a similar sighting we had in 2010. It was also on the H 4-1, only a bit closer to Lower Sabie over looking the river bed.

We parked of at one of the view points that over look the river and the vast far bank. We could hear those deep calls of a leopard from the reeds below us. We couldn't see him but we know roughly where he was because of the his repetitive calls. Eventually some crowned plovers gave him position away, they weren't to happy about him being there.

He was walking up and down, in and out of sight through the reeds. He looked very restless and continued making those deep calls as he patrolled the river bed. Eventually it all made sense when a much smaller female leopard walked out of the reeds on the far bank.

Poor guy, its no wonder he was so restless and worked up. There was a small obstacle in the form of a strong flowing Sabie river between him and his lovely lady. :lol: Very funny

Great sighting! Loved every moment of it :D

I highly recommend that stretch of road along the Sabie river. Don't worry about all the cars passing behind you. Just find a good look out point, switch off and wait. Listen for birds (particularly intolerant birds like plovers) and keep watching the both sides of the river from your elevated view point. There is a good chance of seeing leopard if you are patient. If not leopard, you will be rewarded with plenty of other quality sightings.

Post subject: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:25 am 

Hey :)

I saw this leopard when visiting the Kgalagadi 2 years ago. I have been going there for years and seen many leopards, but this one looked so much smaller than usual. Is this a female or young leopard?

Post subject: Re: Leopard
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums Lisa :thumbs_up:

Great sighting...its looks like an old female to me. Females as you may know are generally much smaller than males so perhaps you have seen males mostly and thats why it appeared so much smaller!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:39 pm 

Hi Lisa and welcome

Agree with o-dog, it looks like a female. She hasn't had a decent meal in a while judging from her protruding pelvic bone and shoulderblade. She might be old and cannot hunt anymore.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:42 pm 

Thanks so much for the response :)
I definitely must have just seen male leopards, because I have never seen one as small as this.
Thank you so much for the info :)
Loving this forum!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi lisavanv
A BIG welcome to the forum.
You have made my day! :gflower: The leopard you saw is/was? Marie. You saw her about a month after she was first seen at Marie's se Draai in KTP. From the first sighting we believed she was very sick as she was very thin, she also had an amber right eye. From your pic, she seems in slightly better condition a month later. :thumbs_up: For some pix of her first sighting you can go to

http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

or the KTP leopard ID thread

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=38&t=18567&start=480
(page 17 of this thread)

There is an ongoing KTP leopard ID project. If you look at the first address I gave you, you will find a leopard ID booklet you can download, as well as a spreadsheet. If possible, could you fill in the spreadsheet for the project, with details of your sighting and a pic or two. Also, You are welcome to include any details of previous KTP leopard sightings and pix. The more info we collect, the better it is for the project. You will also find AstroMatt's e-mail address included with the spreadsheet format(KTP leopard sightings).

In case you do not have time to fill in the spreadsheet, can I ask you where did you see her and what was she doing?
Many thanks
Wanda

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi lisavanv,
Great sighting and you are right she is a small leopard and not doing very well :( . As Wanderw has pointed out you can find out more about the parks leopards looking in my guide and on the leopard ID thread....thanks Wanderw :thumbs_up:

You said you've seen many leos over the years. If you have other sightings of KTP leopards then i would really like to hear about them for my project. If you could fill in the spreadsheet with all your leo sightings in KTP and send it to me i would really appreciate it :pray: . If you would like to try and identify the leos first then it would save me a lot of work (just attach an example pic so i can confirm) otherwise you could send me the photos that you think i can use to id them ie side shots, or head shots. If there are a lot of pics then email me first and we can find an easier way of sending them other than email.

Thanks ...and to anyone else out there that has similar historical sightings please do send them in as they are as important if not more so that current new sightings as they could provide ages and or links between leopards. :pray: :pray:

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 pm 

I haven't been to KTP in 2 years, so my memory is a bit hazy.
Here's another pic of her.
I will try do the spreadsheet :) But as I said, I don't remember much.
I'm excited to dig up some pics and share them :)

I see in the Identification doc that it says Marie was deceased March 2010. My pics were taken in April 2010 :) Would have loved to have seen Marie up close because that amber eye is amazing!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pics. I agree with it being a female

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm 

If I remember correctly she was in between Marie se draai & Kaspersdraai - making her way towards Marie se draai.
She looked quite ill. She was panting quite a lot, I actually have a little 30sec clip of her walking, she looks as though she is very tired.
I'm assuming she is deceased? Or has she not been spotted since then?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:34 am 

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from our trip to Kruger and we were amazed to see 6 Leopards! I have not gotten through all of the photos yet but here are some images of the first two Leopards we saw.

Two images of the first leopard spotted near Berg En Dal midday. We had the Leopard to ourselves for a bit then 2 cars joined and it moved off into the bush.

The second leopard we saw I believe on the s36 also midday. Great sighting all to ourselves for about 10 minutes!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stunning images and love the info :clap:

Few images of a young Leopard we spot on the S125. We were the only car and he pose for a few great shots.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stunning leopard pics :clap:
That S125 leopard is a poser :cam:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lake Panic Leopard - taken on the gravel road to the hide

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW, such a Beautiful pic of the Leopard and hopefully I will see this Leopard during one of my first trip to the South of Kruger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next