Skip to Content

Marakele - Tlopi Camp

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
yaninaz

Sheets and towels in tents?

Unread postby yaninaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 am

Hi
We are going to stay in the Tlopi camp in Marakele.
Are sheets and towels provided?

Thanks
Yanina

Toko
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Sheets and towels in tents?

Unread postby Toko » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am

:yaya: yaninaz, welcome to the forum :lol:

:thumbs_up: Sheets and towels are provided.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:25 pm

A very warm welcome to you Yaninaz :D

As Toko says, all will be provided. I do hope that you have a stunning stay :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

yaninaz

Unread postby yaninaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks!

I am sure this is going a stunning stay.
First time in South Africa, and in Safari :)

Div

Unread postby Div » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi,

Yes Sheets and towels are provided.Tlopi tented camp is amazing!Be mindful of the monkeys,they are always looking for food to take!Place your table before your fridge and keep everything closed and stored away.Once they realize that there is nothing to take they will leave you alone!Enjoy your stay!

Lilacroller

Tlopi Tented Camp

Unread postby Lilacroller » Thu May 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi All

We will be in Markele in September this year and have booked to stay two nights in Tlopi tented camp, I just wanted to find out if we need to bring anything with in terms of cooking utensils, etc, do the tents have fridges and all those lovely things?
KRUGER
Crocodile Bridge 9 August 2012
Skukuza 10/11 August 2012
Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

MPA

Re: Tlopi Tented Camp

Unread postby MPA » Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Lilacroller,

This is the info off the website, enjoy.

Tlopi Tented Camp

Each tent has two beds (two stretchers are available which are more suitable for children), private bathroom (shower, wash basin and toilet), and a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator/freezer, two-plate stove and electricity. Each tent has a veranda with table and deck chairs and barbecue facilities. One tent has wheelchair access. The camp is unfenced and is approximately 17km from the Reception Office. :clap: :popcorn:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I stayed at Tlopi in April and can report that the tents are very well equipt. The kitchen tent is separate from the sleeping tent, connected by a deck overlooking the dam. Just beware of the vervets :twisted:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Lilacroller

Unread postby Lilacroller » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the responses - looking forward to my trip in September. :lol:
KRUGER
Crocodile Bridge 9 August 2012
Skukuza 10/11 August 2012
Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Tlopi Tented Camp is magic. We have twice been treated to elephant at the dam and a host of other animals. Be careful if you have very small children - they could fall off the deck into the dam water.

As arks says, beware the vervet monkeys. The kitchen area looks to be enclosed with canvas and see-through plastic, but we had a nasty surprise. We did not leave any food in sight, but did not turn the fridge to the wall (as we do in Kruger), as we thought the kitchen was monkey-proof. Well the little devils got in through a tiny gap between the floor and the bottom of the canvas and emptied the fridge. The mess (droppings and food packaging) was awful. We had to make a trip back to Thabazimbi to re-stock, while the wonderful maid did a great job cleaning up. I might add, we had not been warned about the vervets and at first glance everything looked monkey-proof. The maintenance guys came and nailed the bottom of the canvas to the floor boards.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

NJVermaak

Marakele First Timers

Unread postby NJVermaak » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:23 pm

We will be visiting Tlopi camp for the first time (22-27 Dec) - very much excited!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I hope some one can help me with some questions I have...

- We are travelling with my son, 10 months old - is the deck big enough to put up a small splash pool for him to cool down in the blistering sun, is this allowed? Pool will be about 1x1m.

- Does the kitchen tent have doors that zip up or something? I heard the monkeys can become a menace...

- Does SANParks supply crockery and cutlery or must I bring my own?

- I know there is no shop in the park; is Thabazimbi the closest place to get fire wood and Ice, or do they keep some at Reception?

- Can we rent a gas braai at the picnic spot like in Kruger?

Looking forward to our trip - hope to meet some of you there.
NJ Vermaak
___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Marakele - Tlopi Tented Camp 22-27 December 2014
KNP - Tamboti 7-9 January 2015

Frizzle

Re: Marakele First Timers

Unread postby Frizzle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Hello NJVermaak,

I think I can reply to most of your questions.
- the deck is fairly big and there is certainly room for a small pool;
- the kitchen has glass sliding doors and the monkeys are very cheeky and know the sound of the opening of doors - when entering or leaving the kitchen always close the door, because those monkeys are fast as hell. Also, when going on a game drive block the sliding doors with a deck chair and close all zips of the tent properly;
- no need to bring crockery, etc. everything is available;
- there a small shop - when we were there they had good firewood - i cannot remember if there was ice available but I guess there was.
- I have not seen any gas braais but you might phone/email reception to find out?

Tlopi is a wonderful camp with an amazing view. We stayed there for 3 nights and 1 day we didn't even leave the camp since a herd of elephants was frolicking in the river and later on they moved to the side of the tents and we could watch them from a couple of meters.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay!

F.
April 2015: Garden route, Addo and Karoo

NJVermaak

Re: Marakele First Timers

Unread postby NJVermaak » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:18 am

Hippotragus wrote:NJVermaak - you will love Tlopi camp. We have had lovely sightings from our deck - elephants, kudus, etc. I don't want to alarm you, but I have two points:

Just be very careful about the monkeys. We had a horrible experience when they squeezed between the canvas and the flooring boards and emptied the fridge. We thought the kitchen looked monkey-proof and did not turn the fridge around (as we do in Kruger). There was no food visible in the kitchen. They also made a huge mess all over the kitchen. While a cleaner cleaned up, we had to go to Thabazimbi to re-stock!

Another word of warning is regarding your baby. Watch him every moment. There is a drop off the deck straight into the dam and I don't remember the fence round the deck being very baby-proof. The camp is unfenced, so, in theory anything could come to the area where you park your vehicle next to the tent. We have seen various droppings there.

Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks Hippotragus. I will keep an eye out for the monkeys, as amusing as they are - they are not funny when raiding my camp!

We will definitely keep an eye on the little guy, my wife and I have become quite the tag team when it comes to he's crawling abilities. We'll also stay away from the vehicle after dark, walking into an ellie is not on my bucket list.
NJ Vermaak
___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Marakele - Tlopi Tented Camp 22-27 December 2014
KNP - Tamboti 7-9 January 2015

ice

Tlopi Tented Camp - Cell Phone Reception?

Unread postby ice » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 pm

we will be spending my daughter's 12th birthday at TTC and are now wondering if we will have cell phone reception there, just so that her grandparents and some of her friends will still be able to congratulate her over the phone

thanks

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Tlopi Tented Camp - Cell Phone Reception?

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 pm

You may get the odd signal there, but generally that area does not have a strong signal.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “Northern Parks”