Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I just returned from Kruger with a bridge camera
Panasonic DMC FZ150 EGK
640 mm zoom/24 mm wide angle
great movie maker (full HDD)
Great pictures at 200 iso
Only drawback at full zoom and low light a bit distortion.
But most cheaper zooms have that.
But a great all rounder and i am satisfied
Being a DSLR canon man myself :wink:

Post subject: Re: Which Canon do I buy
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I had a Sony Alpha that was sadly stolen :( I really loved the camera. It was solid and was able to cope with MM's nature. It once fell down a rock cliff on a walk and was barely scratched. The sound of the camera against sheer rock made me think that I would find it shattered.

When I bought a new Camera I decided to go the Canon route. I bought myself a Powershot SX30 for about R4500. They can be picked up for a very good price at the moment.

We have a very uneasy relationship. I miss the solid feel of my Sony and my ability to point and shoot. I must admit that this can see wonderful distances, far more than my Sony Alpha. When I get it right it also takes marvelous pictures.

My problem is that because the lens is so much more sensitive, it takes longer to focus.. and this can happen.

I will admit, I am not good at reading instuctions and I am sure that there is something I can do to improve the speed.

I have been given the name of someone who reconditions and sells cameras and binoculars. He only deals in the best. I do want to have more options available. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 am 

Hi All

Thanks for the continous feedback.

Fee - Would love to see some of your pics - go ahead do some posting. :cam:
Meandering Mouse - Could you pass on those details to me would love to have a look and see.

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Will get them at work today :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Fee, if the budget is R5000 I would go with a Canon bridge, I bought the SX40HS and I have been really happy ever since, great photo's and great video. Im even trying to get hold of some filters for it now. :thumbs_up:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm 

Hi Lilac,

Here is pennies worth. A few years back I was stuck in a similar position. I had a Sony bridge camera that did the job, but wanted something better. I purchased the then new Canon 450D with the basic lens and bought the Tamron 70-300mm lens. The Tamron lens whilst a lot cheaper had a decent reach and with Kruger having good light more often that not this combination seemed to work. Only recently have I upgraded my lens to a 100mm-400mm Canon USM.

The Tamron didn't brake the bank whilst still allowing for good pictures at a decent reach. The 100mm-400mm is in a different class, but so is the price.

Try www.SAcamera.co.za as they are another retailer that could assist with good quality products at reasonable prices. 1100D body - R3,911, Sigma 70mm to 300mm R1.722. That gives you a start at a little over R5,500. Shop around and you'll maybe you can shave of a few more runs. Don't forget to get that UV filter to protect your lens. Rather a scratch on the filter than on the lens!

OR why don't you rent a camera and a lens on your next trip and test it before you take the plunge?

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I was totally happy with your post till I read this:
Riaanf31 wrote:
Don't forget to get that UV filter to protect your lens. Rather a scratch on the filter than on the lens!

:cry:
That you do not do! The lenshood will protect the lens, the UV filter will take away image quality!
Unless you buy a very expensive UV filter (why? It doesn't do anything..) the photos will suffer badly.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 am 

Hi Riaan

Thanks for the feedback, Ill check out that site.

Rent? Wow I didnt know you could rent a camera. :hmz:

Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 pm 

Will post photos - is there a quicker way to upload than using photobucket. Taking forever

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Yes. At least to us it is the easiest and quickest way.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

so im adding 2 cents to a topic that might be over but what the hell :)

I agree with DuQues, with regards to UV filters. Had UV filters on every lens i owned and was never happy with the quality, but as soon as i removed the filters, quality has increased, now i have hoods on all my lenses, helps with flare too.

In terms of a cheap DSLR, i would look at the Sony, Canons 1100D and if you can afford a little more the 550D and then Nikon, look at the D3100 which you can pick up for less then R10 000. If you go looking you can find the 550D on special for around 9 000 with 2 lenses (although cheap lenses, nice starting point).

And if you are prepared to go looking, you can find second hand lenses at reasonably prices which may be more in your budget range.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm 

Hey there,

Bridge cameras like the Panasonic FZ series are good as they are super zooms. But if I were you, go buy yourself a second hand 40D-50D and concentrate on buying better lenses when you have the money. Camera body’s get updated all the time, but lenses are ever few years. I have had a Canon 40D for 5 years now, and it is still working as well as the day I got it. I have a few L series lenses which I sometimes use on my father’s 7D and they work perfectly. My 200 F2.8 is older than my 40D body, but gives me sharper pictures than my 300 F4 which is a year old. my point being, when you start off photography with DSLR, go of entry new, or med second hand, and spend majority of your money on lenses because you can always upgrade your body and still use the lenses on the new one:)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hi - just couple more comments - I had a Sony and it was great - lenses were cheaper and I used my Minolta lenses but I had problems with the AF on other lenses - the gears stripped in the lens. I was extremely happy with the Sony but then changed - the decision was between Nikon and Canon - please consider your choice carefully as your decision, unless you want to spend a fortune in changing from one brand to the other, is expensive - in effect you will be buying either the Nikon system or the Canon system.

For various reason I went the Canon route - and first bought a kit camera 450 D with 50mm lens and a zoom 80 to 250 I think. It takes wonderful pics and is now used by my wife. I bought a 5d and 100 to 400 zoom Lens.

I would like to add that the kit Zoom lens with the 450 (and the other kit models) is WAY better than you would think and is getting acclaim from many serious photographers

The 450 is now replaced by other models but I saw a Canon kit with two lenses, flash bag and 8 gig memory card to R8,000.00 - a price I think is very difficult to beat.

If your interest is more that just taking pictures try and go for the SLR - it may cost a bit more in the beginning but will save some money late on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 pm 

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestion, I finalyl made a decision and landed up getting a Cannon 1100D it came with a twin lens one of them being I think 80MM by 300MM I have ben having some fun with the birds at home and cant wait to use it in Kruger in three and a half weeks time.

Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:34 am 

Hi Llacroller,

let us know how your new camera fairs in Kruger :) I wish I spoke to you sooner though!!! My 14 year old sister wants to get into photography much like her brother (me) and her father.

After phoning and phoning people on Gumtree, ODP, with no success, I phone Kameraz in Rosebank, and they had a few 350D's and 400D's lying around...we went there and ended up leaving with a 350D the kit liens (18-55) a brand new camera bag for all the kit for R1850.00..I took the camera to Cameratek the same day and they cleaned the sensor for me and said there was nothing wrong with the body what so ever.

this being the day before we left for Kruger. she shot every day at leased 200 shots, charged her battery twice and the bidy did not miss a beat!!!!

reason for why I am telling you this is becasue, you could have saved R 5 000.00 and bout yourslef a really good lens with the left over money like a 70-300 IS and even the 50m 1.8.

of course you cant go back ,so I really hope you enjoy your camera and you take amazing photos!!!