Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which Canon do I buy
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am 

Hi All

Id really like to get myself a decent camera (would love Nikon but thats abit steep on the pocket) what Canon would you recommed, Id really love to take some decent wildlife pics so I want something more than my little Fuijifilm camera.

Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

Post subject: Re: Which Canon do I buy
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Canon and Nikon have actually merged to the same pricelevel. :(
And you left out a couple of other very good brands, like Pentax and Sony.

How about getting the basics first...
What is your budget?
What photography will you be doing most?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Price range?

For around the R2500 mark there is a wide range of the so-called Bridge cameras available, in nearly all the makes. For decent wildlife pics I'd say that at minimum a Bridge is required, but ideally you'd want to go DSLR (but that becomes wildly costly very quickly).

Otherwise, a point and shoot with a decent OPTICAL zoom will do for pics of things close to you...but your Fujifilm should already do that, so I assume you want something of an upgrade?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I had a look at the Sony Alpha range and I'm thinking to go that way.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Canon has some very nice cameras for not that much..........it's those lenses that's expensive!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 pm 

picnic wrote:
I had a look at the Sony Alpha range and I'm thinking to go that way.

7 or 8 years ago I bought the Sony Alpha 100 because all my Minolta lenses would fit the body. It takes good quality photos. I have recently (December 2010) upgraded to the Canon 50d and the image quality is by far more superior but probably due to better glass as my Minolta lenses are quite dated. However, due to the price of the lenses (Wish list - the new Canon 200 - 400), I still shoot a lot of wildlife with the Sony using a 500mm F8 Reflex lens. Very slow I know but beggars cannot be choosers.
I would suggest that you buy the best quality DSLR that you can afford with a 18 - 200m lens (Canon) and then save up for the "long reach" lenses later. Canon / Nikon much of a muchness where Canon users will tell you Canon and Nikon - Nikon and who ever has been a traitor and has swung over to the other side, they will adamantly defend their decision.
Good luck and enjoy the "Hunt".

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Peter, Sony has some good news for you: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/09/Sony_Full_Frame

I don't agree to the camera first, lens later you suggest. Quite the other way around.
The lenses is where the real money is going to, whilst even a Canon 1100D can make brilliant photos with the proper lens.
In Kruger a 200mm is too short for many things, a 100-400 or 400 f/5.6 would be a better option.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

Duques, I agree glass is where the quality lies. My intention, regarding the body, was to buy something that is of suitable quality. Any of the Canons/ Nikons would do and as you say the 1100D is a good place to start. The problem always is that the glass is so terribly expensive eg 100 - 400 F4.5 -5.6 is around R16k at the moment. Quite a bit more than a body and lens kit on offer at the big retailers.

Sorry for any confusion that might have been put out there.

Once you start in photography, you start a life of additional poverty.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 pm 

DQ
PS That lens seems rather impressive. You should be able to spot blackheads on a buffaloes nose at 500 paces.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

:wall: :wall: :wall: Shoooo an I thought it was going to be a simple answer here :D

Thanks everyone for your help, to answer some of the questions:

Price range: As little as possible :roll: Seriously not more than about R 5000 - R 6000 for now

My little Fuji does take really nice pics just as long as the object is sitting under my nose.

I actually was having alook at the Canon 1100 just because it seems to be a really good starting point, was rather gob smacked at the price of lenses though.

I havent really had a look at Pentax or Sony, purely because I see more Canon and Nikon at the shops and most discussions - I think Ill have a little look down that avenue.

So basically I want to take all the beautiful pictures that everyone else is taking and would love to get the shot of the fish eagle on the tree that isnt under my nose :hmz:

Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:55 pm 

Oh yes before I forget - I have been looking on Kalahari and Gum tree and all those places for a second hand one - Thoughts on that - im a little sceptical because you just dont know what you getting but at the same time I see all these names and versions and I dont know if Im getting some vintage cam or something fairly decent. :wall:

Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What I can tell you as a canon user............I try and get a lens with IS...........and that is most of the times what makes you lens more expensive.

Sony has IS built into their cameras...........so the lenses are cheaper..........sort of............ :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:06 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Lilacroller wrote:
So basically I want to take all the beautiful pictures that everyone else is taking and would love to get the shot of the fish eagle on the tree that isnt under my nose :hmz:

I had to wait 6 years for that. Saw plenty of them, but all too far away for my not too shabby lens. And then at Letaba it wasn't under my nose, but above me, posing at a height of perhaps 4 meters.

You should have a look at the Panasonic Lumix series and the likes. They are bridge cameras often with a zoom that exceedes many long lenses. The quality is high, the price is good, and they are very portable.

The DSLR path is a sliding slope with a very steep and deep ravine at the end. I want a lens now that will cost more that R100 000, and a camera which, while cheaper, will still set me back about R60 000. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:40 pm 

LiliacRoller - I decided not to go the SLR yet, but wanted to get the hang of taking photos and learning to use the camera (has the same functions as an SLR) so I bought the bridge camera from Canon - SX30is. I have taken awesome photos - a cousin of mine is a professional photographer and he is amazed at the great quality shots it has taken. Some of them quite far off too.
It has a x 35 zoom, so you do need to use a small tripod or bean bag to lean on for far off shots.

Have also used it recently in the park to take a video - it takes a very impressive HD video as well.
I am going to eventually start putting some of my photos on the forum

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:30 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

fee wrote:
I am going to eventually start putting some of my photos on the forum

Yep! Image