Moderator: Crested Val

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks

Unread postby Crested Val » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks BB30!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

It happened by mistake actually. :whistle:

In December Hugh from the forums had very kindly loaned us her yellow mirror cosies and ribbons.
We used them in the camps and when we were driving slowly game viewing, but when we were driving at 50km to get to a different camp, I was worried that they may fly off into the bush, so I remembered that I had packed my yellow trousers, which I don't often wear as they are a bit bright!!! :dance:

Therefore when we returned to Kruger in March, we continued to use the trousers, and they apparently are now quite famous!!!! :thumbs_up:

Theuns, yes I have heard that they see it from the International Space Station!! :tongue: :tongue:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Under meets and greets

Have a look here

and you pm Jazil with your dates so she can put it in there!!! :)
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am

Not only should we pleeez fly the yellow ribbon, but also post our dates on the when, who, where list.
I know of 3 sets of mites being at Olifants on Sunday 11 and have arranged for us to meet on the viewing deck at 18h10 a mini meet however I am sure there are a couple more who have not recorded their dates

It worked :clap: :clap: I had the pleasure of meeting Hilda & SO, Ralph and Lenny at Olifants. Another little thing I have started doing, I also carry extra yellow ribbon, or yellow scarfs should anyone require one. Lenny's luggage was "in transit" and so was their yellow ribbon, they now have a bright yellow scarf to use and keep as a momento :D

I am challenging all saffies to follow suit, meet one another and donate a yellow ribbon where needed, enjoy this Forum :D
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tamboti 26 to 28 December 2015
Shingwedzi 29 to 31 December 2015
still a work in progress :o

Bushbaby30
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg

Unread postby Bushbaby30 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Nkulu wrote: I am challenging all saffies to follow suit, meet one another and donate a yellow ribbon where needed

I also carry extra YR with me just in case... You never know when it will be needed (and so far it was needed 3 times! :wink: )
Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished- Lao Tzu

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 pm

I have a roll (okay only a small one) of yellow Tshirt material so if anybody requires a YR just ask. I also have my name posted on the back window of the car and caravan. So next time you see it pop in and we can party. (Bush style of course "quietly")
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

28 Feb to 7 March Skukuza

Cherries
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Cherries » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:41 pm

We drove into Shingwedzi last Wednesday and spotted our first yellow and red ribbons - Davejenny! :lol:

We were staying right next door to BluTuna who had his ribbon on the door handle! :thumbs_up:

We had forgotten all about our ribbons and we were duly reprimanded by Davejenny. :doh: :doh: :slap:

After Shingwedzi we went to Pafuri and met with Frank again. We were staying at the Pafuri Wildnerness Camp so our car was virtually parked up until Saturday morning. We drove all the way home to Randburg with our ribbons flying like streamers from the roof rail. I did eventually remember to take them off this morning before leaving for work. :lol: :lol:
Jackie

Croc Bridge - 6 April 2012
Berg en Dal - 7&8 April 2012

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm

TheunsH, I think the yellow ribbon is still working well! We have met 9 Forumites in September 2011 due to the yellow ribbons (which is not even during school holidays)! :D Don't lose hope, you will find them, sooner or later. :naughty: Maybe most of the people have left when you were there, due to the schools re-opening on 11 January? People should also contact Jazil to put their names on "When will I see yellow ribbons again" in KNP. We have already made an appointment with Pumbaa & SO to meet at Satara in February, due to the fact that we could see that we were in the same camp at the same time. That also helps a lot. :dance: Please change your attitude! :pray:

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I concur with Hilda and Stark :thumbs_up: . Yellow ribbons are as scares as great sightings, just keep on looking and fly your yellow ribbon :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015 Please Vote Now!!!

Radman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort

Unread postby Radman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm

To be honest this is how I got hooked on this forum when I visited the park in June last year me and the SO couldn't understand.Whats with these people with the Yellow ribbons on there cars have they got some powers was quite confusing. Then at Skukuza I met one of the rangers there and asked him whats the point of these people driving around with ribbons on there car .And that is what led me straight to this fantastic forum and be assured my next visit in June I will have mine up as well cant wait to meet some of you crazy KNP lovers :whistle:
Travel Report 08 June-25June2012 Pretoriuskop-Letaba

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 am

Rookie wrote:I must also report that we were asked by more than 1 Honarary Ranger what the ribbon was for (surely they should know!) and then we were told to remove it by another as the colour and the flapping was scaring the animals! Maybe some education is needed.

Unbelievable! :roll:

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am

Was it a HR that told you to remove it because of the color, i might be wrong but if i'm not mistaking most animals are color blind. Please let us not let the yellow ribbon tradition die :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 am

Rookie wrote:Also wanted to know why forumites don't fly their ribbons?? :naughty: :naughty:

I never saw a single one in KNP during 17-21 Feb and none now in Addo over the long weekend! :evil:

Rookie, yellow ribbons in Kruger are like a leopard sighting :D . CliveR, Elsa, Klystron, DebM, WendyA, Heksie, Pumbaa and me and SO was all in the park during 17-21 Feb and all flew their yellow ribbons :shock:. Maybe the ribbons are a bit to small?? :hmz: .

Rookie wrote:then we were told to remove it by another as the colour and the flapping was scaring the animals! Maybe some education is needed.

I don't believe this for one moment :big_eyes: . Never encountered this behaviour from any animals and I fly a huge yellow ribbon all the time :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015 Please Vote Now!!!

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 pm

My pleasure Heksie!

We are so proud to fly our YRs when in the Park and always try to carry one spare as we have made many a new friend by being able to give a ribbon to someone who had forgotten their own.

Perhaps we have been lucky but cannot recall ever having a trip when we did not meet another YR - even if it was only a quick hello in passing. It has also been the route for us to make some wonderful new friends and we were able to meet up for a drink, BBQ or just a chat on several occasions during our trips last August when we took our grandson, Sam, out to Kruger for the first time and then again when we took our December-Jan trip. Just keep flying your ribbons and believe!!

Carol and Richard (WildImage)

Heksie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)

Unread postby Heksie » Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

DinkyBird wrote:I keep ours in our Cruiser now so I always have it on hand. Must say it is a bit tattered and faded :hmz:

But NOT TO WORRY!!!!!!
With our NEW LOGO we are gonna have mirror socks!!!! :dance:
10 July Letaba
11 July Satara
12-14 July Lower Sabie
15-18 July Tsendze

24-27 September Lower Sabie

11-20 Dec Satara
14 Dec Sable Hide
21-27 Dec Lower Sabie
28-31 Dec Satara
1 Jan Croc Bridge
2-4 Jan Satara
5-8 Jan Lower Sabie

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 pm

YEAH!!!

Then we need never take them off. We will be able to greet each other all over the world!!!

Seriously, I had a mite come up to me in Woolies in Canal Walk last weekend ... they asked me if I was on the SANParks forums ... how great is that!

Edit: I should add I was wearing one of my forum cricket shirts.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Meets & Greets ”