Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a pet?
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:23 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
OWN, I am so sorry to hear about Calico. I have always enjoyed her exuberant and playful nature. I am pleased that you have found a vet who has given you so much hope.

A big :k to Callie.

Thanks MM. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I'm sure she will still be exuberant and playful, only a little less so. Her eyes have more than made up for this, though, as they have become softer and more loving, and entirely irresistible! Gave her one of your massive smooches (as above), so she is in Heaven right now. :wink:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:28 am 
hilda wrote:
I'm so glad you found a good Vet Onewithnature! What would we do without them? We are very lucky to have a fantastic Vet as well! I sincerely hope Calico will continue a pain free life for many years to come! :D

My eldest Pekingese is struggling to walk properly (from old age) and is taking medicine for the past 3 years to ease his pain (will be 14 in June), and took his pills without any problem every day. But lately he doesn't seem to want them any more, and I saw that he walked the same with or without those pills. I try to give it to him every day, and keep record of when he took them, to discuss with the vet. It seems that he knows when it is really needed. He will take it for three or four days, and then he doesn't want it for a day or two. I don't want to force him to take it, but I also don't want him so suffer. I wish they could talk! :(

Thanks Hilda. :thumbs_up: Interesting that your Pekingese seems to have an innate intelligence as to the need for the meds. :hmz: If it's an anti-inflammatory without any gastrointestinal side-effects, many times continuous dosing can have a more beneficial effect than occasional dosing. However, if it's working for him, I'm sure all is as it's meant to be. :thumbs_up: As to the talking thing, I wonder if they'd ever keep quiet of they could converse! :lol:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 am 
JenB wrote:
OWN, I'm so glad you found a good vet, Most of them are far to quick to want to do the "best of the animal" IMO. Calico will do great on medication I'm sure, it's manageable. Igor suffered from extreme arthritis in his one elbow and with a warm comfortable bed and pain and arthritis medication, he did well and they soon learn what the can no longer do. :)

I agree entirely with you, JenB - vets are sometimes as diverse in their intentions as human doctors can be! :evil: I'm hearing more and more how manageable this disease is, so that is a real positive. :thumbs_up: of course, at the beginning, my mind wandered to all kinds of dread conditions like spinal damage - thank goodness it isn't anything like that. Calico is already showing more mobility and less stiffness after being a week on the new meds. She also does better on a blanket-covered hard floor than on a couch. Glad you could enjoy your Igor to the full despite his condition. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 am 
Meandering Mouse wrote:
I am just going to share something quickly with fellow animal lovers.

I did not have a good long weekend. :( My Ballinese, Casper disappeared at the start of the weekend and despite calling, searching, walking everywhere, I could not find him.

Despite being highly pedigreed, Casper is a rescue animal from a Kitty Haven. He is possibly the most loving and affectionate cat I have ever owned. He is sensitive to cold and allows me to share his bed with him at night. In the daytime, he tries to make sure that I don't strain my eyes by reading too much, by lying on any page I might have open.

He is a never ending purr bag.

By Wednesday, I had given Casper up for dead. :cry:

I had to take someone to Park Station at 5am and as I was about to leave, I heard a cat climbing through the laundry window. It was Casper.

Poor baby. He is very ill. He had not eaten for days and seems to have flu. In a couple of minutes I am leaving to take him for his second injection. This morning he drank water without choking for the first time.

I am for the first time feeling hopeful that I truly have my gentle, sweet Casper back.

Gosh, MM, that was a close one! :shock: I'm sure he will make a full recovery. Please keep us informed. I love your take on it being his bed that you share and that it is he that is looking after your visual acuity. :clap: :clap: After all, he wants you to keep him warm and stare at him with lovingness for hours on end. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 am 
threedogs wrote:
Tokoloshe just chewed up a SD camera card I left on the coffee table :evil: This morning it was a lens cover from my binoculars which had fallen down behind the couch cushion yesterday afternoon and I couldn't find it - she found it for me :x

Have you tried feeding her, 3D? :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
My baby Basjan after a hard day's of work on the farm getting ready for bed... :wink:

With Amy already passed out in the back ground :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Everso cute Spookie BUT on a WHITE duvet cover !!! give them both hugs ...

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 am 
Adorable pic, Spooks! :clap: Now, who's hat is that really?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Those cute little legs must do an awful lot of mileage on the farm spookie! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Spook! :clap: :clap: :lol:
Worsies are the cutest! :dance:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Those are two spoilt "kids" Boorgatspook! I can clearly see that, and I don't blame you! They are so cute! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Those kitties are 8) Lots of mischief there! Kittens and puppies are time wasters of the best sort!

Gess looks very warm and smart in that doggie coat! :thumbs_up:

We have six cats, 5 of which are all related over three generations (a sordid saga that one :lol: )
Will have to post pics some time. It is fun naming pets as it often involves a little story. :D Ours are Eddie , Princess McTiggen, Squeaky, Baby Bink, Greyspot and Silkie.

I get the job of giving our horses at work their stable names. We never name them just any old thing. The name has to fit the personality or breeding or stature or colour or all of the above! Usually after we have had a new horse for a week or so, a name just comes to me and I know immediately if it is the right one :) The horses that are bred on the property get their names as foals of course and this is usually at about 8 weeks or so when their personalities start to show. Sometimes a name is a little cryptic eg. Magic Pulse is the racing name of one of our horses and I called her Beans. Another one is named Oceans of Gold and I called her Indi. There is your puzzle for the day - making the connection. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Spookie, love your Basjan.

We have a little feral that has arrived at the place where I work. It is kind of pre-adult. We have been feeding it and trying to gain its confidence. It is a very timid little thing. Our plan was to capture it, take it to be neutered, or spayed and let it free on the property, fed, of course. Its a beautiful leafy property in a residential area.

Last night as I left work, I saw a very big Tomcat trying to make friends with the little creature. Looks like I might also have a couple of new little critters in a few weeks time.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

[quote="Meandering Mouse"

We have a little feral that has arrived at the place where I work. It is kind of pre-adult. We have been feeding it and trying to gain its confidence. :[/quote]

:hmz: That's exactly where we went wrong and ended up with six cats :doh: :lol:

But what else can you do......really? :)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
INdeed, Threedogs :lol: :lol: :lol: what else can you do :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 97  Next