Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Facilities at Addo's Matyholweni camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm 

I've last been to the Matyholweni camp about a year and a half ago, and things might have changed. It seemed very nice, but I can’t remember seeing any area for day visitors to relax at, nor any restaurant/shop. I was recently in the area again and drove past Addo on the N2. I had an hour or two to spare and was very tempted to spend it in the park (being a wildcard member). However, I had a sweet tooth and other people in the car to consider. As far as I know the camp doesn't have any restaurant/coffee shop, so I continued on to the next farm stall instead. :cry:

But now I‘m wondering, are there any plans to expand this camp in the future or is it meant to be a peaceful/low-number-of-visitors camp?

Is it worth visiting the park for only a few hours if there are less wildlife obsessed people with me?

I think it would be great to be able to take a detour when driving past the park (on the N2) to enjoy some wildlife and a slice of cake before continuing on to my destination. :D

Last edited by Kooning on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Facilities at Addo's Matyholweni camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:50 pm 

Currently there are no shop or restaurant on the Matholyweni side, only at main camp. At reception
they have a vending machine with water, cooldrinks etc, but thats all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

And I sure hope it'll stay that way. :lol:

Matyholweni is a really lovely, charming and extremely well-maintained camp
which would lose its character if they added restaurant facilities for visitors
from the outside. Please, don't get me wrong, Kooning, but I think Addo is
too valuable to become a drop-by destination for people travelling on the N2.

Spending a few hours on game drives is a different matter altogether.
Colchester Section proved to be extremely productive for us on our trip
end of March. So why not try to get the less wildlife interested people
into nature by showing them some beautiful ellies and the famous Addo lions in the south. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the info DP.
I understand and agree with what you’re saying Lionspoon. :D

I started thinking about a day visitor area when I realized just how close the N2 passes to the park. I also read something in the latest WildCard email about possibly expanding the camp, although I’m not sure how serious the plans are.

The main camp felt very crowded when we visited and I would hate it if Matyholweni started feeling like that, but how else can they alleviate the pressure on the main camp?

If some development was going to happen, then I think adding a day visitor area that is reasonably small and well removed (out of sight and sound) from the rest of the camp can be a good thing. I would love to visit the park as described in my original post, but I agree that it should not be done at the cost of the camp/park’s atmosphere and charm. I think adding a day visitor area on the other side of the road might help to keep the camp separated from the day visitors.

My biggest fear would be that adding more tourist facilities to the camp might draw to many visitors or a different kind of visitor. The last thing I would like to see is the park getting overly crowed or people speeding in and out just for a “braai” or some food/drink. (We don’t want a second Westcoast NP… :wall: )

I’m curious what other people might think about the idea.