Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Woman alone in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:03 am 

Now that sounds like a really fine idea. 8)

Unfortunately, I am already travelling for the most of Autumn and Winter as well as working at the FIFA WC. I am never available in Summer.

Some time back I wanted to start a thread regarding camping alone in the Kruger. I then realised that the topic had already been done. What I did not realise is how many people, especially women, who actually do this.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I spent three weeks camping solo last year in November, the first time I had ever gone off on my own anywhere. I can't even begin to explain what a special time that was in my life.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:10 pm 

I am also one of you solo ladies and must say how surprised I am to hear how many of us there are. :thumbs_up:

My husband and I can only take leave at different times and can you believe, that he got bored of going to Kruger!!! :huh: He enjoys 4X4ing and I unfortunately, don't. I was sad at first but then made the decision to go alone, rather than never go again. KRUGER IS IN MY BLOOD!!!

I have been travelling to Kruger, from the KZN south coast for about 7 years now. I unfortunately can only get away once a year, so try to make the most out of my KNP trip as I can. I stay for 12 nights (sleeps :wink: ) each trip. I don't camp but stay either in the bungalows or in the Safari tents (when at Lower Sabie).

I must add tho' that the longer I do this on my own, the more I love it :dance: and can't imagine doing it with anyone else again. I go where I want, when I want and for however long I want. This may sound selfish but the rest of my year is dictated to by others (and Im mostly okay with that) so this is why I make my Kruger time, MY time!

I also love my photography and even tho' I'm very average at it and don't have a larny camera , I love it and what better place to take photos than our Kruger.

Having said that... I would love to meet up with anyone, during my trips, just to say "hi", have a chat and to share sightings etc.

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Post subject: Re: Travelling Alone in the Park
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I PREFER to be on my own (staying and travelling) in the KNP. For me that is the best :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:21 pm 

Just came back from my first "alone-trip" to the Kruger. 8 fantastic days! Cant wait to do it again... ASAP! Hopefully before December when we will be there for another 8 days.

NOW JUST TELL ME: WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY is Lower Sabie the only camp with one-(wo)man huts?

Come on Sanparks: Think of us prefering to do this on our own, but that are too lazy to do the campig thing and too poor to do the fancy bungalows! PRETTY PLEASE build some more of these huts in the other camps as well. Judging from the availability of these (or rather lack of availability!!!!) these huts are very popular, so it will be a worthwhile investment for the other camps!

:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 pm 

I have spend many trips in KNP alone. No problem.

Just pack enough water, whatever you prefer and something to eat if you going to travel less traveled roads. One never knows. But thats my standard anyway as having photography in mind, I never know how long I will be at a sighting.

And me being shellfish now, I dont have to worry about a girlfriend that want to leave a sighting, or one that slept late now alone in camp.

I have met many people, thats the Kruger way. In the evenings it can get lonely, I keep myself busy with editing photos, braaing, and just enjoy the peace and calm of nature.

So no problem.

Just as a matter of interest, if you ever go and visit the Kgalagadi. Nosop and some of the other camps you sigh out in the morning, saying what direction you going. But these are small camps, not like KNP. In the mornings we were about 5 vehicles, and by day 2 I made friends with all of them.

As Elephants, have had a few times in the earlier visits that I was worried. Ask a ranger to point out the signs of a E in musk. Usually if you leave them alone they will just walk by, but try to give them distance.

The biggest problem traveling alone is missing sightings. It is impossible to look both sides. You will just tire yourself out. So accept that. For me taking photos, I concentrate more on the light, shooting into the sun is difficult.

Have a good time, all the singles.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:40 pm 

I'll be taking a trip to the Kruger in July on my own, travelling from Johannesburg after flying in from Canada. Will the trip to the park be relatively safe for me (I have no fears about the park itself) ? Also, I was wanting to camp and not wanting to have to bring all the equipment on the plane with me - does anyone know if there is a place near the park where one can rent a tent and other camping equipment?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Alto, I travel on my own for years and never I felt not safe 8)
and more... I even can't really speak a good English :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Alto,
Saraf gave great advice.
Like Anne-Marie, I travel alone to the park as my SO is not as keen as I am, but then I'm a total addict.
I have driven from Joburg but prefer to fly into KMIA. From Joburg its a long drive after an international flight.
I'm afraid I've no idea about hiring camping gear but have you considered huts and safari tents? The safari tents that use communal facilities are very comfortable and great value.
I'm back in Kruger next week for my third solo trip in 2 years. [I'm in my 60's] Remember your yellow ribbon and you meet like minded people and ENJOY! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:59 am 

I spent 9 days on a trip to Kruger in January. Best holiday I ever had. Could go on the roads I wanted to, stay as long as I liked at a sighting or waterhole etc. I ate when I felt like it, whether t was a take away or a braai.I bought those disposable braai pans available at supermarkets, perfect.
At all times I felt safe. Dont worry about the Elephants, even if you had another person in the car, they couldn't really help you could they? Just observe reasonable caution.
I stayed at P.Kop, Skukuza, LS and C.Bridge.
Have already booked another trip doing South and up to Letaba, and if any of my children read this, NO you cant come with me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
granjan wrote:
Way to go, granny!!
The first time I did it, it felt almost illicit, the pleasure I got on my own. Now if any of my friends/family say they wish they could come along, I do everything possible to put them off!

:lol: :lol: You sly person, you! :twisted:

I love to go alone. I have had amazing experiences with animals since there is nobody in the car to busy me with conversation. :D I seem to have the best sightings alone too :shock:
But I do want to do a trip with my parents every year :thumbs_up:
And a trip with friends every year :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Travelling solo and no-one to share something special with at that exact moment, do sometimes leaves a bit of emptiness even if it just a fleeting moment. But other than that it is always satisfying to share afterwards your sightings and adventures with friends on this forum.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Alto, the only section of camping space along the fence in Skukuza is on a bit of a slope and its not that big either. The rest is also great, but no fence line.
I went solo to the Park for the first time last year to Satara and without sounding selfish, I loved it. Unfortunately I had no one to share all the great sightings I had but it was well needed alone time and I could go when, where and for as long as I wanted to on drives. In the morning's I was in line at the gate waiting for it to open. As much as I loved the time alone I also missed the company of SO and LO's.

Post subject: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Would you?

I did and is planning my next solo for December.
Dont get me wrong, my SO loves the Kruger in winter that is. The summer is just to hot for her and that is where she draws the line. She however grants me a solo and visits her family, where we will join up again after our seperate trips.
For little Wildkyker the heat as well as Malaria might be a risk but as soon as he is bigger he wil join.

Would you go alone and what is your challenges during a solo trip? :hmz:

Post subject: Re: Would you visit Kruger park on your own?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:57 am 

I have often visited Hluhluwe-Imfolozi NP alone and wouldn't hesitate to visit Kruger alone.
Some people might get bored in the evenings, but i have my kindle to read and a nice beer and all is good.
The only thing that freaked me out was when a hyena entered my chalet whilst i was doing dishes...It came all the way inside without me hearing a thing, so i am now more careful with keeping doors closed when i am alone.
Enjoy your trip, and i hope you see a lot!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next