View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: DIY or having it done for you
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Bush Baptist wrote:
There are a lot of Capetonians who have never heard of Kruger Hugh, let alone been there. Many have been overseas, but not beyond the boerewors curtain in their own country.

Some cannot even point Kruger or any other National Park on a map of South Africa. Like my late Father in law. He died at the age of 75 without ever seeing Kruger. He spent his last 50 years traveling only between Bloem and his holiday home at Mosselbay.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 pm 

DIY Everytime for us :D As "foreign tourists" the 12 months planning and countdown is all part of the trip. We love sitting at waterholes waiting for things to appear however small and enjoy every sighting animal or bird. Always see the guided tours pull up at big sightings for 2 minutes and then they are gone. Also the most special thing is spotting something really good yourselves especially if you then have it all to yourself for a while - magic - We will return! planning our next trip for 2013! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DIY game viewing and travelling in Africa has changed my life and I cannot put into words just how much it has changed my life - for the better. We have been fortunate to not just travel to KNP but to many of the other game parks in Bots, Namibia and Zimbabwe over the last decade and a half. Every time we have planned our travels and driven ourselves about. The first trip to Zim. makes me cringe now, not because it was bad, but because I took SO and sons on a wing and a prayer with pretty much no idea what I was doing and virtually no money! The very first morning I had to ring Dad to deposit more funds into my credit card because I didn't know they would 'hold' an amount on it and I had already used up most of the credit booking stuff :redface: :lol: However, we had only got off the ground in Harare flying home when we just knew we would be back! People here at home can't fathom how we can afford it being wage earners? Nor can they understand why we have spent an enormous sum over the years travelling and SO drives around in a clapped out car and shock horror we don't have a big plasma TV or flash furniture (its all second hand). I shop at the charity Shop for clothes and our house has no floor coverings :lol: We make do and save hard because there is no price I can put on what I have learnt and seen and felt and experienced with my SO and boys. It is not just fascinating, fun, amazing, hair raising and awe inspiring it is a sense of deep satisfaction in having taking control of our travels and how we experience them.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DIY, for me. :thumbs_up: But when visiting another country maybe not DIY. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
pandl wrote:
the 12 months planning and countdown is all part of the trip. We love sitting at waterholes waiting for things to appear however small and enjoy every sighting animal or bird.

I think that is what makes Kruger special to all of us who prefer DIY whether local or from another country, it does not matter. It is perhaps that what makes so many of us return each year to Kruger the DIY way :D . I think the logistics might just be a bit more of a challenge to visitors from other countries but the DIY experience is in the end the same for all of us :thumbs_up:. I have read on the forum how forum members from other countries are so well organised when they land that they know exactly what and where to buy for the Kruger visit, they even advises the local visitors when needed :D :thumbs_up::thumbs_up :

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
It is a definite 100% DIY vote from me :D . I have seen so many "trollies" pass me by with occupants holding on for dear life to their belongings so that they can get to the next reported sighting, whilst missing 99% of what the park actually offers :tongue: .

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Although most of us prefer the DIY way I think the tour operators and the services that they provide are equally important and that Kruger benefits from both methods. By far the majority of guests that I have seen in the company of their tour operator looks like this :D and few like this :( . By the way I have seen a few :( faces doing the DIY way but perhaps it was too much braaivleis the previous evening. I guess it just a matter of circumstances and preference :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Grantmissy wrote:
By the way I have seen a few :( faces doing the DIY way but perhaps it was too much braaivleis the previous evening. I guess it just a matter of circumstances and preference :thumbs_up: .

Or maybe Big5 chasers :hmz: .

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@Barryels, they are all over the place. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Let me stick my neck out a little here...

We are locals. We regularly visit KNP. We've got lots of books always in the car with interesting info on birds and mammals. And we love DIY or self-drives. And that's what we do most of the time.

But every now and then - it is nice to go on a guided drive. To be spoilt, just sit back and let somebody else take the wheel. Sometimes, you get a great guide - teaching you interesting little things about the bush you never knew (especially if you go on an official SANParks drive). The whole "deal" with some of these lodges are also quite appealing. You sit back, make no decisions, get driven around, get fed delicious foods and basically - you just get spoilt!

Now I don't think I'd be able to go to KNP everytime in luxury. Not only financially, but also because it is so nice to plan drives yourself, see what the day holds in store for you, and enjoy nature on your own time. To have a braai in a KNP camp at night - is pure bliss.

So there you have it. Both are great! Each in its own way, and each at its own time. Definitely more DIY than being driven around. But that's how I feel. And I don't ask where the animals are kept at night... :whistle:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Post subject: Re: Self drive or Safari company
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:37 am 

DIY all the way!

This will be our first trip to Kruger and SA in general. We have been planning our 9 days self-drive journey for a year now :dance: We will start at the end of June and are looking forward to the many wildlife wonders we will encounter!

Post subject: Re: Self drive or Safari company
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum erinsam42.

If you spend time looking around here you will petty much find most of the answers to questions you might have, but don't feel shy to ask more. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13