Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey BB , try this next time you see/find a mozzi feeding on you . As soon as his proboscis is properly sunk into your flesh , place your thumb and finger on either sides of him and stretch your skin .
Mozzi's proboscis gets trapped , and he cannot withdraw , and he cannot stop sucking blood either .
His whole body becomes gorged and bloated with blood , making it easy to kill him :whistle: .
Watch out for splattering blood :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Will try it Okie :thumbs_up:

But after 3 mozzies I might need a transfusion. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Canis Lupus wrote:
Does anyone know what the current risk status is for malaria in KNP? Also, those who have been there recently - are there still lots of mozzies?

We're still in a high-risk period, and all the usual non-drug precautions and use of appropriate antimalarial medicines are recommended by the authorities.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 am 

We dont take malaria meds (the side-effects are too bad) but we will take artemisia (a natural anti-malaria drug). More importantly I will turn my family and myself into a walking DEET chemical warzone so that no mozzie will dare come near us. :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 am 
I'm in the process of drafting something that the mites may find interesting. Keep the eyeballs shaved and watch this space ...

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17628172

Scientists have found new evidence that resistance to the front-line treatments for malaria is increasing.

They have confirmed that resistant strains of the malaria parasite on the border between Thailand and Burma, 500 miles (800km) away from previous sites.

Researchers say that the rise of resistance means the effort to eliminate malaria is "seriously compromised".

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm 
Yes, Asia has had increasing malaria problems in recent years. The problem is that the global community is smaller than most realise, and so resistance could conceivably spread. The resistance to chloroquine was a big blow to malaria treatments in the 70s and 80s, and if the integrity of artemisinin is compromised, we could indeed be in big trouble.

It is a similar situation with antibiotics - indiscriminate prescribing by some medical practitioners, as well poor patient compliance, are building up resistance against certain effective antibiotic treatments. I remember reading an article some years ago that, if there was a worldwide pandemic of certain mutated viruses or bacteria, the human race in its entirety could be at threat! The Lancet is a respected medical journal, so serious cognisance needs to be taken of these malarial concerns!

Post subject: Malaria - Kruger Fatalities
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Up north at the Pafuri Picnic Spot there is a bench overlooking the Levuvuh river. On the bench is a little memorial plate for a lady named Heather Zietsman. I don't know the full details but from what I could gather she passed away after contracting malaria. A grim reminder to all who visits Pafuri.

Do you know of someone who have fallen victim to this decease after contracting it in Kruger?

I personally know of quite few people who have picked up malaria in Kruger but who were fortunate to live to tell the tale.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: World Malaria Day
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Today is world malaria day.

Here is a very interesting read to help raise awareness.
http://www.health24.com/medical/Conditi ... ,74064.asp

Post subject: Re: World Malaria Day
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Also see advice on precautions.

And fatal cases in Kruger.

Post subject: Re: World Malaria Day
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
http://www.worldmalariaday.org/home_en.cfm

Post subject: Re: Malaria - Kruger Fatalities
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm 

Hi WTM, today is World Malaria day and heard earlier on the radio that in SA the number of fatalities have dropped from 30000 per annum 10 years ago to about a 1000 now.

Don't know anybody who died from the disease after picking it up in KNP.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 am 

wildtuinman wrote:
Up north at the Pafuri Picnic Spot there is a bench overlooking the Levuvuh river. On the bench is a little memorial plate for a lady named Heather Zietsman. I don't know the full details but from what I could gather she passed away after contracting malaria. A grim reminder to all who visits Pafuri.

Do you know of someone who have fallen victim to this decease after contracting it in Kruger?

I personally know of quite few people who have picked up malaria in Kruger but who were fortunate to live to tell the tale.

Did she actually contracted malaria at Pafuri or was the memorial bench as so many others just placed in one of her most favourite spots in Kruger?

Ones risk of contracting malaria inside of Kruger is much lower than contracting it in any of the directly bordering towns. One has to remember that the "malaria risk" of an area is based on the number of confirmed cases in a area that may span many towns and not necessary a geographical area such as for example Kruger NP.

Below a link to an scientific article titled "Risk of malaria in visitors to the Kruger National Park, South Africa"

This is a 1996 study performed in April which historically is the month with the greatest number of reported malaria cases in South Africa. 1996 according to the article was also the time of the most extensive malaria outbreak in the area in 10 years (average 70% more cases than the 2 preceding years). Having done questionnaire surveys for scientific articles before the response rate in this survey was very good and even above the norm.

The article presents some interesting findings such as:
1) 4.5 out of 10 000 visitors contracted malaria (one unconfirmed case included) = 0.05%

2) Of these:
2.1) 3 stayed in bungalows and 2 in campsite (not statistically significant)
2.2) 3 used prophylaxis and 2 did not (not statistically significant)
2.3) 2 visited other high risk malaria areas before or after Kruger (1 Mozambique, 1 Comoros)

3) Additional preventative measures did not statistical significantly reduced the attack rate

One can also contract malaria in a malaria free area as the February 2012 outbreak in the Tshwane district proves. If you have an infected human and female Anopheles mosquito in the same area there will always be a risk of malaria transmission.

Does all this mean you do not need to be vigilant? Definitely no, but be aware you may run a greater risk of contacting malaria while buying bread in White River that in a rest camp in Kruger due to the greater concentration of possible infected human host in town than in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm 

Interesting view, Francois, and certainly food for thought. I have been through various phases taking and not taking the various medications that are available, and am now of the opinion that it is better (for us as a family) to avoid the medication and to keep aware of ALL health issues for quite some time after leaving the malaria areas. Having said that, we ALWAYS cover ourselves in the early morning and in the evenings with appropriate clothing (long trousers, sleeves, socks and closed shoes) and use a healthy dose of tabard on any exposed areas......

There are many views, both for and against taking anti-malaria medication, some of which include complaints of the side-effects of such medication to some people; the fact that IF you forget to take the medication exactly as per the instructions, you may as well not take it at all, and a whole host of other issues, such as the medication masking the onset of the disease.

It should be noted that taking anti-malaria does not GUARANTEE protection from the disease, but it may reduce the likelihood of catching it.....

As a side comment, a physician friend of mine says he prefers his patients to take malaria medication as without taking it, he knows exactly what to put on the death certificate.... :big_eyes:

I know many, many people that have had the disease, acquired in various parts of Africa, one of whom passed away within 72 hours of getting into a malaria area..... be aware that this is NOT a pleasant disease with which to deal, and is NOT NECESSARILY SLOW in its devastating effect.

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have been reading Harry wolhuter's, "Memories of a Game Ranger", again.

He talks of a time when people did not know about the mozzie threat. It was a time when Maleria was the, "silent demon in the night". Maleria was endemic and struck when it wanted.

Lydenburg, place of mourning, is a testament to maleria. It killed, and killed with no regard for anyone.

Times have changed.

I am not dismissive of maleria, I recognise the danger. Bruce Brydon, many years a game ranger, ended up being killed by maleria.

However, we know more, we can do more. We do no longer need to be ruled by fear. We can do something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 81  Next