Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Road between TR and Nossob
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it :thumbs_up:

We had something similar in Nov last year -- it was a kori bustard standing on top of a dune and displaying and "booming" (is that the correct term ?)

Because we were all ( 5 cars) looking up at him he looked enormous -- but one car was certain there must be a lion there to explain the "roaring" :roll: Only ourselves and one other car stayed to watch him -- the rest glanced and drove on ......

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm 

Just got back from 15 nights in KTP - was fantastic!! TR hopefully to follow shortly!! As far as roads go the road between samevloeing and Kij Kij consists of pretty good uncorrugated gravel and then a single track detour on the Botswana side from just before Rooiputs until Kij Kij - this stretch of road is very scenic and we had fantastic sightings of both cheetah and lion. The road works is very much happening around the Rooiputs area which does obstruct your view of the waterhole but Kij Kij was teeming with game!! The road from Mata Mata south to Kamqua is so badly corrugated it is only possible to go 20km/hour which is actually a great game viewing pace. So pack your coffee's/snacks and take it easy!!! Enjoy your trip!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 pm 

Great Aristocat, thanks for the info. We're planning on coming down that road from Kieliekrankie to TR on our last day in the park
P@m, we have had quite a few incidents while birdwatching, that some predator would pop out of the bush, once we didn't even notice it, until my husband casually glanced in the rear-view mirror, and a cheetah was crossing the road right behind us! Another time my sister and I were looking for birds in Kruger Park, near Engelhard dam. A car came speeding past from the front, and before the dust had settled, out stepped a leopard, crossed the road, and flopped down about 20 metres in front of our vehicle. We had the leopard to ourselves, which was fantastic!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:21 pm 

Lonehill Birders

It is so often that when you stop for the small things that a predator appears.....happened to us near Lijersdraai Picnic Spot - we stopped to observe a large herd of hartebees -only when we turned the engine off did we hear the yelping of a hyena _ 10 minutes later they were all around the car - had we not stopped we would have missed them entirely!!

Post subject: Road Conditions
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 pm 

Hi, We are planning a 5 or 6 night stay in KTFP in April. Can anyone advise on the general conditions of the roads at present?
We are hiring a sedan (VW Polo or similar from Jo'burg) but could hire a 4x4 from Upington if deemed necessary. Any comments or advice??

Many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Road Conditions
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would go the 4x4 route from Upington. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Take the 4x4 from Upington. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi lornhend and Welcome!

While many visitors prefer a higher clearance vehicle for KTP, it is NOT necessary at all. Since I feel that the cost of a 4x4 (or similar) is prohibitive for me as a solo traveler (I prefer to spend my money on more nights in the park), I have always visted KTP in a sedan (Toyota Corolla, VW Polo, Ford Fiesta) and I really do not feel that I have missed out at all. Amongst other things, for photography I prefer to be more on eye level with the animals rather than always looking down on them from on high :wink: So don't feel compelled to hire a 4x4, you will be just fine in a VW Polo!

Have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

If you're driving a rental, then 4x4 etc is not necessary (the rental will, however, never be the same again :twisted: ).

In the Auob riverbed, you don't need vehicle elevation even during the "wetter" months, ie when the vegetation is high. In the Nossob riverbed, however, there are long stretches where you wont see a thing unless you're in an elevated vehicle. 4x4 is certainly not needed (assuming that you didn't use the term loosely), far more important IMO is vehicle elevation (at least along most of the Nossob river, especially further north).

My greater concern would be the toll that the roads take on your chosen vehicle (notwithstanding it being a rental). We've just returned from the park and found the roads in the Auob (esp between Kamqua and Mata Mata) the worst that I've seen in 8 visits. During a few days staying in the area last week there were two Fortuners with UJ failures, 3 (!) broken trailers (springs broken, including a new offroad trailer on its first outing), one cruiser briefly dropped its aftermarket fuel tank (brackets snapped), a Lada had some or other propshaft issue, a hilux nearly lost its bullbar, another vehicle's fuel pump packed up (could be co-incidental)... the roads take no prisioners and don't discriminate by brand - so whatever vehicle you chose, take it easy (we find 20km/h to make the bad sections bearable - plus you see so much more that way).

A big advantage of the 4x4-type vehicle (fourwheel drive or "pickup" with canopy) would be that you have far more space to store your goods...assuming you're camping etc.

edit-typo

Some of the milder corrugations in the Mata Mata area last week:

Last edited by Vundla1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 am 

lornhend, there is good news. The roads are regularly maintained, and you may be lucky. The roads stay good for about 5 days after a grading, in our experience. Its all to do with the heavy volume of traffic.
The other good news is that it is the place to be, no question :dance:

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:58 pm 

p@m wrote:
The roadworks started again on the last 16 km from Rooiputs to Kij-Kij,

Hi Lonehill_Birders

We were detoured over the dunes on our trip from Nossob to TW due to the above roadworks in mid March this year.

The TW to Nossob road is badly corrugated from Dikbaardskolk picnic spot to Nossob especially in the canals where the grading has built of banks on either side of the road. What with the grass and bank their is no chance of viewing and as a result everyone is in a hurry to get to a point where you can view the country side instead of the sandy banks.

Take head of the warnings about the inconsiderate, selfish long lens brigade as there interpretation of 50km / hr is very different to most others.

:sniper: make me :redface: and :x

TOTALY OPPOSED TO HOTELS IN THE PARK

Letaba 16 July, Shingwedzi 17 - 19 July, Letaba 20 July
KTP March 2012 - Mata Mata 9,10, Nossob 11,12,13, Twee Rivieren 14,15, Augrabies 16,17

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:hmz: I can't understand anymore... in January/February we can pass on the Botswana side... not detoured over the dunes :whistle:
it's new.. we can't no more drive this little road :?
or I understand very wrong :redface:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
or I understand very wrong

@anne-marie -- maybe they meant they used the upper dune road instead ... :hmz:
Maybe no 4X4 :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
thank you P@m :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:15 am 

The transit road between Rooiputs and Kij Kij was in fairly good condition over Easter. From Kij Kij to Dikbaardkolk also very good, same all the way to Nossob.

All the roads were in the best condition I saw in all my trips to the park

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next