Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

loonytoone

Re: Upset Stomach with Malarone

Unread postby loonytoone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Just a thought - as it hasn't been mentioned here:
We have used Malarone or Lariam (depending on length of trip) with no side affects except for "lariam dreams" over some years now.
However, we only take the tablets AFTER dinner.
I suspect a full stomach reduces any unpleasant effects for us.
Cheers
Ash

AjayB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby AjayB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Assuming the formulations are identical and just the branding name that differs, we have used Malanil (Malarone) and Malanil Paediatric for protracted periods with virtually no side effects other than myself who on one occasion developed minor tiny mouth ulcers for three days which then cleared up.We always take them early morning post breakfast. Have to say I am quite surprised by this report back.These are the first negatives I have encountered and it has been quite a few years now. Reckon a chat with the doc may shed some light, failing which a switch is probably on the cards anyway. Completely understand your concerns about precious holiday time quality being compromised :( Hope you get some workable solution ------

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 am

My family and I have had bad side effects to most medication, but Malerone has tended to have the fewest. My daughter travels to maleria areas often and is careful with her eating, because she tends to have a sensitive response. She swears that Oats help her with tummy problems.

Doxy tabs can cause intense nausea and vomiting in some. My worst memory is of the whole family standing at the side of the road, throwing up breakfast. We found that if we took them after breakfast, particularly if there was a bit of porrige, it helps. Porrige actually gives a good lining and can even have some anti-inflamitory effects. We had not been doing it before, because, if I remember correctly, milk was contra indicated when taking the tablets.

With Doxycycline, you do have to be careful of the sun. Fair people can burn very badly.

Larium must never be taken if there is any history of anxiety and depression. I never had a problem with Larium, other than the Larium dreams. I took it once when I was going through a very stressful time with exams and finishing a project. To my horror, when I arrived home I started have serius panic attacks, enough to send my to a Psychiatrist. She stated that she has seen this side effect fairly often and has even had to admit people for psychosis.

So, if you are under unusual stress, even if you have no history of anxiety, take care.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Canis Lupus

Re: Malaria

Unread postby Canis Lupus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Does anyone know what the current risk status is for malaria in KNP? Also, those who have been there recently - are there still lots of mozzies?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Watched an interesting TV program the other night , wherein it was stated that according to research , about 92 % of infectious mozzi bites take place around your ankles . So , just by covering your ankles , the chances of you receiving malaria could be reduced by 92 % :whistle: :hmz:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Wrists are another mozzie bite hot spot for some reason.

:hmz: If you are covered up in those areas would they go for uncovered areas or other people who are uncovered there.

Now there's a doctorate waiting........
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey BB , try this next time you see/find a mozzi feeding on you . As soon as his proboscis is properly sunk into your flesh , place your thumb and finger on either sides of him and stretch your skin .
Mozzi's proboscis gets trapped , and he cannot withdraw , and he cannot stop sucking blood either .
His whole body becomes gorged and bloated with blood , making it easy to kill him :whistle: .
Watch out for splattering blood :doh:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Will try it Okie :thumbs_up:

But after 3 mozzies I might need a transfusion. :tongue:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am

Canis Lupus wrote:Does anyone know what the current risk status is for malaria in KNP? Also, those who have been there recently - are there still lots of mozzies?

We're still in a high-risk period, and all the usual non-drug precautions and use of appropriate antimalarial medicines are recommended by the authorities.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Canis Lupus

Unread postby Canis Lupus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 am

We dont take malaria meds (the side-effects are too bad) but we will take artemisia (a natural anti-malaria drug). More importantly I will turn my family and myself into a walking DEET chemical warzone so that no mozzie will dare come near us. :sniper:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 am

I'm in the process of drafting something that the mites may find interesting. Keep the eyeballs shaved and watch this space ...
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17628172

Scientists have found new evidence that resistance to the front-line treatments for malaria is increasing.

They have confirmed that resistant strains of the malaria parasite on the border between Thailand and Burma, 500 miles (800km) away from previous sites.

Researchers say that the rise of resistance means the effort to eliminate malaria is "seriously compromised".
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes, Asia has had increasing malaria problems in recent years. The problem is that the global community is smaller than most realise, and so resistance could conceivably spread. The resistance to chloroquine was a big blow to malaria treatments in the 70s and 80s, and if the integrity of artemisinin is compromised, we could indeed be in big trouble.

It is a similar situation with antibiotics - indiscriminate prescribing by some medical practitioners, as well poor patient compliance, are building up resistance against certain effective antibiotic treatments. I remember reading an article some years ago that, if there was a worldwide pandemic of certain mutated viruses or bacteria, the human race in its entirety could be at threat! The Lancet is a respected medical journal, so serious cognisance needs to be taken of these malarial concerns!
EVERYBODY'S TR!

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Malaria - Kruger Fatalities

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Up north at the Pafuri Picnic Spot there is a bench overlooking the Levuvuh river. On the bench is a little memorial plate for a lady named Heather Zietsman. I don't know the full details but from what I could gather she passed away after contracting malaria. A grim reminder to all who visits Pafuri.

Do you know of someone who have fallen victim to this decease after contracting it in Kruger?

I personally know of quite few people who have picked up malaria in Kruger but who were fortunate to live to tell the tale.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

World Malaria Day

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Today is world malaria day.

Here is a very interesting read to help raise awareness.
http://www.health24.com/medical/Conditi ... ,74064.asp
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”